Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2018 6:36:59 PM EDT
I typically shoot Tac optics and my primary rifle has a Razor HD with JM reticle.  I've been very happy with this set up, but I'm thinking about switching to limited, which would require a 1x optic.  I already own Aimpoint,  Sig, and Vortex Sparc AR red dots.  I was thinking about trying a Holosun this time around, but I'm open to any suggestions.  Ideally I need something with a 2moa dot, and a dot that is as sharp and clear as possible.  It will be used out to 350 yards or so.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a buddy that likes to run factory division and he uses the holosun with the acss reticle. For distance
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a bunch of Holosun 510c's that I like.  It has a reticle that can be configured as either a circle/dot, a circle, or a dot.  Runs on a solar panel or the internal battery.

Whether it's crisp enough for you depends on your vision.  All I can say is that with my astigmatism it's the best I've been able to find.

Not sure I'd want to take a red dot out to 350, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Budget?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd stick with one of the brands you already have since you're familiar with them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
After doing some research and shopping around for a bit I decided on the Primary Arms Advanced 30mm red dot.  I generally stick with micro red dots, but this seems to have most of the features I'm looking for.  Weight isn't much of a concern on this particular rifle.  Plus I have a mount laying around that I can use.  This will be my first PA optic so hopefully it works out.  Link:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-Advanced-30MM-Red-Dot-FDE-pa30mmrd-ad-fde
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:35:12 AM EDT
[#6]
You'll like it.  PA has good stuff
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I ended up sending the PA red dot back.  It had a slight blue tint, which I could live with.  The dot was small and pretty sharp, it would have been great for long range stuff.  Unfortunately the dot just didn't get very bright in direct sunlight.  It would sort of wash out and it was hard to pick up.  Not ideal for short range burner stages.  The other issue was the battery.  The included battery worked fine, but for some reason it wouldn't work with Duracell batteries.  The dot wouldn't come on, and when I removed the battery it was hot to the touch.  I ended up ordering an Aimpoint Pro.  It was a little more than I wanted to spend but honestly my competition rifles get used more than anything else I have, so there is really no reason to cheap out on optics.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been an M4 fan-boi for years (six or seven of 'em) but one day I saw this on "bi-ceps"-list and got real curious...a LNIB T2 for $600.  Mounted it on a DDM4 v5 (mid-length) and was floored by its performance and how it makes the shooter a better shooter.

Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been an M4 fan-boi for years (six or seven of 'em) but one day I saw this on "bi-ceps"-list and got real curious...a LNIB T2 for $600.  Mounted it on a DDM4 v5 (mid-length) and was floored by its performance and how it makes the shooter a better shooter.

https://i.imgur.com/jMDwTy0.jpg?4
View Quote
I have four of them.  Durability, looks, quality, and a heck of a reduced parallax from the T1...won't touch another RDS on the market.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I loved my Comp M3 and PRO, then I kinda liked the T1, then I loved the T2, now I super love the Comp M5.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I loved my Comp M3 and PRO, then I kinda liked the T1, then I loved the T2, now I super love the Comp M5.
View Quote
Comparison pics or it didn't happen
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of Holosun 510c's that I like.  It has a reticle that can be configured as either a circle/dot, a circle, or a dot.  Runs on a solar panel or the internal battery.

Whether it's crisp enough for you depends on your vision.  All I can say is that with my astigmatism it's the best I've been able to find.

Not sure I'd want to take a red dot out to 350, but YMMV.
View Quote
Red Dot is a snap out to 350 yards with 3-Gun sized targets.

Hell, I bang steel with a 9mm PCC at that range with a red dot.

As far as the OP is concerned, give the Holosun 510 Elite a hard look. It has a very full feature set for the price, and the combination of a huge window and excellent reticle make it fast.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want a clear lens on a red dot for 3G that also has a large field of view and is lightweight, consider the Leupold Deltapoint Pro.  It is a mini-reflex design.  The lens is much larger than the typical T1, T2 and their clones and virtually tint free.  It is motion-activated, so battery life is extremely long, potentially years, if it is used just for competition and/or home defense.

The design gives both a wide FOV and unimpaired peripheral vision around the optic as there are no knobs, dials, switches, battery tubes or other objects that might keep you from seeing everything.

Disclaimer:  I don't shoot 3G and don't know what might be best for 3G Limited Class, but am responding to the question about lens tint and offering information about FOV and peripheral vision around the optic shooting both eyes open.

I run the 7.5 MOA triangle for HD, but the tip is very fine and could be zeroed for your longer shots and hold on the center for targets closer, or there is a classic 2.5 MOA round dot.  The dot or triangle is fully noonday sunlight bright when you need it to be.  It goes to sleep when motionless for a full 5 minutes, but then when moved, it comes back to its prior intensity setting.  The battery is top loaded and easy to quickly swap without removing the optic, should you need to do so.  It will repetitively blink brightly when it is time to change batteries.

I have two of them now.  The optic is only 1.9 ounces and about 4.5 ounces or so with the riser and cross-slot (pic rail) mount.  It is duty grade so there should be no fear of it blinking out or malfunctioning in competition.

Many red dots do have significant parallax (see separate threads here on test for that).  The DPP seems to be among the group that is virtually parallax-free, at least in my experience no more than 1.5 MOA at the extreme side angles of head movement away from center of the FOV.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Also look at the Sig ROMEO 3 and the Leupold LCO.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I shoot a lot of 3 gun-

I prefer the Eotech XPS2-0 since it's a 1moa dot.  I shot with a guy at Rocky Mountain a couple weeks ago that used the Holosun with ACSS reticle.  It worked very well for him all the way out to 530 yards.  My eyesight isn't quite good enough to differentiate between the 3,4,5 dots though- they kind of bleed together.

A lot of shooters still prefer the Vortex Spitfire too, but I had one for a short time and never cared too much for it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top