Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2023 12:29:25 PM EDT
Quick question:

I have the A2 style front sight with the fixed/permanent gas block so I can't easily remove it.
I had a (very) old BSA red dot sight laying around so I threw it on. I discovered that in order to get anywhere on the paper, the dot is down on the front sight pillar so I cannot actually see my target.

I've successfully used a 1x6 scope that was high enough to look over the front sight but am I pretty much boned for red dot choices due to my choice of the A2 front sight? Can you give a red dot (such as the Sig Romeo5) a lift to see over the front sight?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem with "parallax free" optics is, barring an optical shift from going through the two? lenses, when zeroed at the same distance for POA-POI, the aiming elements have an absolute cowitness.

Shoot bigger targets or zero the irons farther at least 1 rev (5 or 6.6 MOA, depending on sight radius).

ETA: After rereading, I think the bold has happened. Unless it is indeed mounted lower than iron sight height 1.4" and you aren't using the upper 1/3rd of the window.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the problem is that your current trash red dot is a little too low.  If you get a red dot with a proper co-witness height mount, you should be fine (dot at the apex of your sight post).

I don't know your budget, but here is an ultra-cheap dot that should be just fine for the range.

Crimson Trace CTS-25
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Increase riser height.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer folding sights if I'm going to use an optic. It's not hard to remove the front sight base and replace it with a low profile gas block that was made for this. Some would recommend chopping it, but I prefer replacing it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Increase riser height.
View Quote

This.  Put the dot on a riser.  A 1/2" riser between your receiver and the red dot ought to get the dot high enough to see and zero.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
A halfway decent RDS would come with a 2 part mount, allowing for either 1/3 co-witness or absolute co-witness.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, so you can put the red dots on a riser.  That's what I wanted to know.
I'm looking at the Sig Romeo 5.

I appreciate everyone's patience with the FNG.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm looking at the Sig Romeo 5.

View Quote

The Romeo 5 mount is gtg. Get the AAA model and use Energizer lithium batteries.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
i actually prefer it , if your RDS malfunctions you want a BUIS you can flip up to work in conjunction with your A2 style front sight , you will be able to have sighted in irons that you can view through your dead RDS , with out them if your RDS fails you are winging it and the fact RDS is not magnified "for me" its the perfect setup when running RDS and adds virtually zero weight ,while expanding the versatility
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
^
Easy to sight in absolute co-witness.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I run the UTG fixed sights on a flat top AR and have a red dot cowitnessed with them.

Shouldn't be an issue, just need a proper height riser

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Stop wasting time/ money on cheap crap scopes.
This is a simple carbine that’s light, accurate and effective. At minimum run a Romeo5 and Magpul rear back up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
The BSA Red Dot is garbage. It was my first red dot ever and was very disappointing.

Check Out:
A Romeo 5
A Primary Arms MD-25 (On Sale)

Also PA has a decent prism scope on sale. The 2.5x for $99.

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top