Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2020 3:01:06 PM EDT
I'm just using it to plink with crap surplus ammo.  But let me know what barrel you would recommend for it and why-if there's something about it that makes it better or more durable for that commie ammo, etc.  :)

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
And the bolt to go with it?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm just using it to plink with crap surplus ammo.  But let me know what barrel you would recommend for it and why-if there's something about it that makes it better or more durable for that commie ammo, etc.  :)

Thanks!!
View Quote
Ballistic advantage.

I got one after I shot out my heavy SS barrel.

Very accurate and was gassed perfectly. I dumped tons of 554 through it on my m16.

I dont clean it as its a blaster but if you wany it to last you need to clean it if you shoot corrosive.

Btw corrosive ammo destroys AR springs especially extractor-ejector springs
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And the bolt to go with it?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Who has them IN STOCK?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Only place I can recommend is Moriarti Arms, last I looked they had a stainless steel barrel & BCG in stock.

I do occasionally see other 5.45x39 barrels but no idea who makes ‘em. You picked a bad time for a 5.45x39 build.

Might be better off waiting for PSA’s AR74 although they teased that at last year’s SHOT show so it’s not coming anytime soon.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
A bit off topic, but related.......Put a piston on it, so much cleaner operation IMO. Trigger group, buffer spring, and bolt components stay clean. In fact I use grease on the cam pin and wear surfaces and it’s stays put since its not being blown with hot dirty gas.
I have a couple set up using Ospreys from years ago, upgraded an old S+W upper with one too, but today I would probably look at a Superlative Arms kit for under $250. Comes with gas block and bolt carrier, no gas tube needed, so its not really a lot of cost add to an overall build cost.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
This is all great info. Following along here.

Been wanting to do a 5.45 AR upper as well. I have several tins of 7n6 sitting around.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Craddock Precision will make you just about anything you want to whatever specs you want at a fair price.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A bit off topic, but related.......Put a piston on it, so much cleaner operation IMO. Trigger group, buffer spring, and bolt components stay clean. In fact I use grease on the cam pin and wear surfaces and it's stays put since its not being blown with hot dirty gas.
I have a couple set up using Ospreys from years ago, upgraded an old S+W upper with one too, but today I would probably look at a Superlative Arms kit for under $250. Comes with gas block and bolt carrier, no gas tube needed, so its not really a lot of cost add to an overall build cost.
View Quote
Back when 545 was really dirt cheap, I was thinking the same thing....but it didn't work out as I had hoped.
Below is a video of mine with an 8" barrel and Adams Arms piston kit.  All the full auto fire bent the op rod and on top of that the condensation got into the piston and seized it up so bad that I had to beat it apart.

I also tried the Osprey kit on a 16" carbine 5.45 barrel and had to keep opening the gas port behind where it needed to run for the standard gas system and I didn't want to keep make the gas port too huge.

With the standard AR gas system, there is no op rod to get bent and no piston to seize up.  I just keep oiled and it has been fine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know about their barrel quality but Red X has some:
http://www.redxarms.com/product-p/1700.htm

I do like their firing pins for 7.62x39 and 5.45x39: http://www.redxarms.com/product-p/5061.htm

I've used their bolts with success also: http://www.redxarms.com/product-p/5102.htm
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I've shot 5.45 AR barrels (Voodoo Industries & BA) but always ended up getting fedup with the mags.  I had some ASC mags and they ran fair enough but they were a pain to load.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm just using it to plink with crap surplus ammo.  
View Quote
If it is truly military surplus (as in 7N6), you may be better off selling the ammo as it is no longer importable and desired by AK74 enthusiasts. I dont see any reason to go with 5.45 over 5.56/.223 with todays pricing..
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow... I haven't heard a word about 5.45x39 ARs since like, 2009. This brings me back.

But yeah, you're probably better off just getting a cheap plinker 5.56 upper and shooting crap like Tulammo out of it. It'd probably work better too. I don't think any company managed to figure out how to make a 5.45x39 AR run right before the fad passed and cheap surplus was no longer as cheap and available. That was the only reason 5.45x39 ARs ever had any momentum. At the same time, back then .223 wasn't as easy to get a hold of as it is now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow... I haven't heard a word about 5.45x39 ARs since like, 2009. This brings me back.

But yeah, you're probably better off just getting a cheap plinker 5.56 upper and shooting crap like Tulammo out of it. It'd probably work better too. I don't think any company managed to figure out how to make a 5.45x39 AR run right before the fad passed and cheap surplus was no longer as cheap and available. That was the only reason 5.45x39 ARs ever had any momentum. At the same time, back then .223 wasn't as easy to get a hold of as it is now.
View Quote
Several people in this thread including myself have/had 5.45's running just fine.  Also in full auto.  I know a lot of people had success running the C Products 5.45 mags.

I'm running an MGI lower with the AK74 magwell.  Those magwells are really rare.  Pictured below with unmodified Bulgarian 45 round mag.
I have a PSA KS47 bolt carrier in there that is clearanced for AK47 mags but works fine for AK74 mags.

Video of the same magwell used with a limited edition BarrelXchange 77 round drum.

All that said, I agree that if I didn't happen to have a huge amount of 5.45, that I probably wouldn't be doing a 5.45 build today.

I was surprised to see PSA posting about coming out with the KS74...didn't think there was much demand for 5.45.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I run an 11.5" Voodoo Innovations barrel and bolt but they have since been discontinued. A quick search turned up one of their bolts (showing in stock) HERE but I don't have any experience with that vendor nor do I know if it is actually in stock. It's a shame Adams Arms canned the Voodoo line when the company changed hands. Despite being way over priced, I really liked their products. I pick up barrels from the EE when I come across them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was surprised to see PSA posting about coming out with the KS74...didn't think there was much demand for 5.45.
View Quote
In the AK world lots of people say they want one but sales will tell the true story. 5.45 just doesnt make sense today with surplus 7n6 gone imo. Ammo choices are very limited and not inexpensive like it used to be.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Since you made me look:

Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Regarding mags, I’ve had best luck with the CPD mags but after a long break in the ASCs ran as well.
Also used Brownells and OKAY 20 round straight GIs but only loaded up to 12 rounds max.
Popping off rounds with my thumb from GI mags I’d notice when they hung up it would either be the rim of the case catching on the center mag rib or the mouth of the case on the forward edge of the mag body. And a 5.45x39 round seems to hit both of these points at the same time. A light filing is an easy fix.

I’ve also tried several brands of both 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel AR mags with 5.45x39 and they aren’t reliable with more than five or six rounds.

Remember to clean your mags as well when shooting corrosive. I had several chrome silicon springs in my GI mags start to rust immediately cause I didn’t clean them. Stainless steel springs were fine. No disassembly, I just dunked em in hot soapy water. Hacked some slots in a block of foam to make a drying rack so they can sit upside down and drain from the top.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#21]
So why are there less 5.45x39 AR15 barrels available?  I have two of these setup with Adams Arms retrofit piston systems and they work fine. I was thinking of building a pistol upper in 5.45x39 but I can't seem to find any uppers in this caliber.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#22]
R Guns sells complete 5.45 uppers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top