Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2021 9:51:24 PM EDT
Been reading the Long Range Shooting Handbook.  Great book, and had me thinking I should make a rifle bag.  Hopefully this isn't out of place, as it'll be mostly used for AR's, but really general rifle shooting as well.  I don't carry much with me when I shoot handguns, so I just use a separate bag that I pack the day of the range with mags, ammo, ear pro, and targets.

The idea was to have a bag that is a little mix of range bag/bug-out bag that can also be used as a front rest when prone.  Something small I can carry with me to the range, but also something I could grab if the SHTF, and be able to have the basics to keep my rifle going, with some spare space to toss mags/food/etc in.

This is what I've got so far that I pieced together from the closet.  Small spare parts include a PSA trigger group, BCM gas rings, BCM complete extractor, BCM firing pins, BCM cam pins, BCM firing pin retainers.  eventually a spare BCG.  Aero carbine buffer spring with standard carbine buffer is wrapped in paper to reduce noise.

The woobie acts as a cushioned filler to create a better rest when prone.  If extra space is required it can be removed and tucked under the Y-strap on the outside.  Can also used as a shooting mat.

Otis cleaning kit
Bore snake
Various patches and AR15 chamber brush
Microfiber cleaning cloth
Lubricant
Q-tips
Lula mag loader
Laser boresighter (removed)
Back up tailcaps for weapon lights (currently pressure switches)
markers/pen/pad
Allen keys (all came with firearm items) and coins
Screwdriver with misc. bits
Flashlight
Batteries - 2032, 18650, AA, CR123
Multitool
LPVO sunshades (removed)
Vortex tool
Front sight post tool
Castle nut wrench
10x42 Binoculars
Masking tape for targets
Lens cloth
backup ear pro
QD bipod (mostly for SCAR)
Woobie
USB charging cable for rechargeable weapon light battery
Parts:
         buffer/spring, charging handle, complete extractor, firing pins, cam pins, gas rings, firing pin retainers, fire control group

Added:
Two 30rd magazines
Headlamp
3-piece aluminum cleaning rod for clearing stuck cartridges
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Delete laser boresighter, binoculars and castle nut wrench. Replace with laser rangefinder, hard kneepads and soft elbow pads.

ETA: throw in a PMAG - sucks to get to the range and realize you forgot your mags.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Delete laser boresighter, binoculars and castle nut wrench. Replace with laser rangefinder, hard kneepads and soft elbow pads.

ETA: throw in a PMAG - sucks to get to the range and realize you forgot your mags.
View Quote

Boresighter I had lying around, but yeah I guess it isn't really any good outside the house.  The binoculars will stay. I actually had to run out to my truck and grab a pair last time I was at the range zero'ing at 50yds. Made my life a lot easier.
Castle nut wrench I figured wouldn't hurt because it's low profile.  Haven't used it in forever since getting a real wrench years ago.  Most of my castle nuts are staked but a couple of the range toys I don't bother staking because it won't hurt anything if it one day starts to back out, and I change things around on occasion.  SHTF gun is of course staked.

Rangefinder is on the list!  Been eyeballing them for a while.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome post!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
10rd Magpul mag.

Small, quality Crescent wrench, big enough for your muzzle device, and any nut scope mount.

Bug Spray / cream ?

Does your rifle have a sling ?

Petzl Headlamp

USGI style cleaning kit ( in case you need to tap out a case )

Quality eye protection

First Aid

A bag with some kind of water bladder ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
10rd Magpul mag.

Small, quality Crescent wrench, big enough for your muzzle device, and any nut scope mount.

Bug Spray / cream ?

Does your rifle have a sling ?

Petzl Headlamp

USGI style cleaning kit ( in case you need to tap out a case )

Quality eye protection

First Aid

A bag with some kind of water bladder ?

The crescent wrench is a good idea, and I just put a headlamp in the bag a minute ago actually. Have a 3 piece Hoppe's cleaning rod on the way for that exact reason.
I have been thinking about first aid, and I usually just wear my regular glasses.  Probably going to be some unpopular opinions on that, but any recommendations on eye pro that fit over normal glasses? Or prescription?
Quoted:
Awesome post!!

Thanks! Hope it helps those ironing out or beginning their kit too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like these post.  I have always been a “kit” kind of guy.   We did this at the refinery.  Put all parts and speciality tools needed for a particular job in one tool box so there would be no looking for pieces or tools.  

Great post and book marked for reference.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd add a carpenter's pencil(they're stronger than regular #2 pencils) and sharpener(knife works also) to the kit and not bother with a sharpie. I've found when I needed the sharpie I have in my range box, that the ink's dried up over time, and in cold weather an ink pen doesn't work all that well either.

Also add a HD stapler/staples to hang up those targets to trees/back boards. A shorty hammer and nails also come handy at times if stapler won't work.

Nowadays, I also bring along my portable UV9R HAM radio for any emergencies for when/if there's no phone reception.

Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I really like these post.  I have always been a “kit” kind of guy.   We did this at the refinery.  Put all parts and speciality tools needed for a particular job in one tool box so there would be no looking for pieces or tools.  

Great post and book marked for reference.
View Quote

Same.  I'm all about organization and convenience.  I have various tool bags at home for most DIY jobs and have been adding stuff to the truck toolbox over the years to fulfill most situations. I wouldn't say I'm a "prepper" but it's nice when you need something and realize you have it in the truck.  Might eventually compile that list in another forum and see what else I haven't thought of.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd add a carpenter's pencil(they're stronger than regular #2 pencils) and sharpener(knife works also) to the kit and not bother with a sharpie. I've found when I needed the sharpie I have in my range box, that the ink's dried up over time, and in cold weather an ink pen doesn't work all that well either.

Also add a HD stapler/staples to hang up those targets to trees/back boards. A shorty hammer and nails also come handy at times if stapler won't work.

Nowadays, I also bring along my portable UV9R HAM radio for any emergencies for when/if there's no phone reception.

View Quote

Yeah that's not a bad idea.  Actually have a couple lying around and like you said they're easy to sharpen with a simple knife.
I think the stapler would take up too much of my limited space, and the range I go to uses carboard backings taped to a metal frame and my targets are adhesive or attached with masking tape.  Could definitely be useful though depending on your needs.

I do want to get a HAM radio.  Been eyeballing them for a while now.  Was a commo guy in the military and would be fun to mess. I have marine/aviation radios but no general-use.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top