Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2021 12:45:27 PM EDT
Ok I’ve got a 18” gun that is ready for an  optics upgrade, budget is set at about $1k.  

Use: coyote hunting-no long shots at my place but could hunt others.  Range paper 0-200, steel up to 400.  

Prefer 2FFP, decent BDC type reticle over cross hairs.  Good light transmission is very important also.

Thinking about a Vortex LHT Hunter, other good options?

Adding photo of rifle to upgrade

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Both are 2nd focal plane. More like a red dot on 1x. Easier to pick up moving coyotes.

Under $1000, Steiner P4Xi. 1x4

Over $1000, Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 E   1x6 with JM1 reticle
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If CQB isn't a requisite I would steer clear of LPVO's.  Something in the 2-10 or 2.5-15 class with a 40mm+ objective would do nicely.  Take a look at Athlon, great glass for the $$$

You could always add an offset reflex RDS down the road for close-up, but I have no problem picking up near targets quickly on 2.5x
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely looking at higher mag, low end range 2-4 to start.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought one of the LHT 50mm 3-15 on europtic when they were 800$. I've only done a ruff sight in and some snap shooting but im impressed so far. Will stretch it when the weather improves. Glass is comparable to my accupoint 1-6 or smrs 1-6.5. Eyebox is very good on 3x and with a little practice is quite fast up close. Turrets are just ok and its crazy light for its size so durability might be a concern.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both an LHT 3-15x42 and a Trij Credo 2-10x36. They can both be found for well under $1k. Just got the LHT for $745 from DVOR a few weeks ago. Got the Credo from optics planet on sale combined with a coupon about a year ago.  I like them both a lot. Credo is FFP and LHT is SFP.  If I could only have one I think I'd take the Credo but they do fill slightly different niches for me.  The LHT offers a lot of features for the weight.  It is remarkably light.

I'm also really interested in the new Athlon Helos 2-12 which has just come out.  Chinese, but <$500 so I'm going to try it in the next few months.  Some good options in the mid range category.

Swampfox Kentucky Long 2-12 is another worth consideration.  Much cheaper. <$400.  It is Chinese and not as refined as the Japanese made scopes (turrets are a little sloppy but not bad).  Glass, reticle, and illumination are excellent. It is FFP, which isn't your preference.  I've had that one for a couple months now and am really impressed for the money.  I have shot with it but not done a tracking test.  I can say the turrets and reticle are consistent (2 moa on reticle =2 moa on turrets)
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
What makes you think your current scope isn't capable?

Unless I'm shooting from a bench or laying prone on the ground anything over 10X is too wobbly for field use. Otherwise I need to be slung up or propped against a tree to steady it. Even old scopes, provided they are decent quality to begin with can serve anyone well for decades. I have a Leupold VX-III 3.5x10 from the early 80's that still hammers the target on a Remington .308 Varmint rifle.

The only time I use high magnification scopes is for load development. I have a 24X Leupold fine crosshairs target scope and a Weaver 36X 1/8 moa dot target scope mounted so I can drop them on any 1913 rail and use them for ammo testing.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I would look at a PA GLx 2.5-10. Made in the Philippines, FFP, locking turret, has auto stop. Glass for the money is good, not a super busy reticale.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
This: Vortex Optics Razor HD LHT Second Focal Plane Riflescopes

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Razor-Second-Riflescopes/dp/B085HGVLY9?th=1
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely looking at higher mag, low end range 2-4 to start.
View Quote

Sounds like the Bushnell 3.5-21x50 for $670 on Midway USA is what you want.

Made by LOW in Japan, low end plus high end mag.  Only problem is it's a bit heavy around 34oz iirc
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
This one is a bit above $1k@$1200 Leupold VX-6HD Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-18x 44mm CDS-ZL2 but I think it fits your stated criteria fairly well and it weighs closer to 1 lb than it does 2 lbs if that is important to you.

And a couple of less $$$ options without illumination.
Burris Veracity Rifle Scope - 2-10x42mm 30mm Ballistic E2 Reticle SFP $350
Burris Veracity Rifle Scope - 3-15x50mm 30mm Ballistic E2 Reticle RFP $440

also Sig Whiskey 5 sale https://outdoors.natchezss.com/search?w=whiskey%205
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This one is a bit above $1k@$1200 Leupold VX-6HD Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-18x 44mm CDS-ZL2 but I think it fits your stated criteria fairly well and it weighs closer to 1 lb than it does 2 lbs if that is important to you.

View Quote

Damn that’s a good deal on the Leupold-really like my VX5 in low light
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are looking for a SFP hunting scope for $1k, Vortex Razor HD-LHT is probably the best available right now.

It figures fairly prominently in my hunting scope recommendations and for a good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kk0D5nJ5Qo&t

ILya
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I run a VX6-HD 2-12x42 CDS-ZL2 on a Custom Shop Remmy 700 in .280 Rem. for deer hunting.  I did opt for the duplex reticle because of the flatness of the trajectory and relative unlikely need to shoot beyond 350 yards.  It has the Firedot illumination system and has accurate, repeatable exposed MOA turrets with zero stop and zero lock.

Optical clarity is approaching my Kahles hunting scope.  While BDC reticles are available (and I have them or ranging "tree" type reticles on other rifles, the conspicuous SFP Duplex remains hard to beat for hunting, especially in low light with an illuminated center dot.

Its one heck of a fine hunting scope.  And, you can dial hold over or hold off with a ballistic app and dope card or order the CDS cap for your load for the rare longer shot or shooting steel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Unless I'm shooting from a bench or laying prone on the ground anything over 10X is too wobbly for field use.
View Quote

While I understand where you are coming from, you are just as wobbly on 1x as you are on 10x, but you just don't notice it.  It often becomes more about distraction.  I have shot tighter groups on the bottom of a 3-9 than at the top just because I was more comfortable and didn't see my wobble.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]
One scope I am very impressed with is the 1-8 Trijicon Accupower.  I put it above the NF NX8.

The eybox is good, 1X is very clear and not a lot of typical 1X optical distortion...weight is mid range...BUT if your are looking for daylight EOTech brightness, this one does not have it, not bad, better than the Trijicon 1-4 Accupower series.

Excellent scope, look in the EE they pop up from time to time, less than 1K

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One scope I am very impressed with is the 1-8 Trijicon Accupower.  I put it above the NF NX8.

The eybox is good, 1X is very clear and not a lot of typical 1X optical distortion...weight is mid range...BUT if your are looking for daylight EOTech brightness, this one does not have it, not bad, better than the Trijicon 1-4 Accupower series.

Excellent scope, look in the EE they pop up from time to time, less than 1K

View Quote

So the eye box puts it above the NX8 at 60% the cost?

The NX8 is lighter, likely more durable, shorter, good glass when in the eye box, fantastic eye relief, and brighter than Aimpoints.  

I also agree the 1-4 Triji's were lacking when it came to brightness.

Either way, hopefully the technology and competition continues to drive the competition to more value and netter prices.

Cannot wait for 1-8x or 1-10x, 10 ounce, 6 inch systems once day.

One day...
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I just ordered one of these and it's supposed to be here in a couple of days.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018307899?pid=851313

I started hunting Coyotes out west back in the 70's when we had a real good population and very few guys did it. Of course I started out with a mouth call and eventually got one of the first Foxpro's. I got to the point where 75% or more of my shots where under 100 yards, many of them 25 yards or so. If my setup was good the predator would come right up to the Foxpro. I'd mew like a cat, Coyote would stop with a WTF look giving me a perfect shot.

That system worked great and 1x would have been great, back then I was using a 3x9 or a 4.5 x 14, I hardly if ever cranked it up off the low end and it was a hinderance under 50 yards, especially for movers.

For the ones that hang up at distance or misses that run you could crank it up to 6x which would be adequate out to 300 yards or so which is about max effective range for a .223/5.56 anyway.

The downside to the "tactical" style 1x6's or 1x4's that I've used, which is only a few, is that they is they suck in low light such as dawn and dusk where you're likely to be out. I was shocked at how piss poor my Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1x6 was at dusk, whereas my old 3x9 was great in low light.

If the 1x6 doesn't work for you I'd look into a good 2x10 with light gathering capability. I think Vortex makes a good 2x10 IIRC, either them or SWFA maybe both. The thing I like about the Leupold I just ordered is it's very lightweight and has instant on capability. The Trijicon Credo looked good too and Midway had those in the $800 range.

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#18]
The Primary Arms GLX 2.5-10 was a good suggestion. Burris XTR 2-10, and Vortex PST Gen2 offerings are also nice.

I'm personally of the mind that you don't really get that much more over the GLX when you step up from it's $600ish price to the $1000 price, so my vote is for the Primary Arms. Glass between it, the Burris, and the Vortex are pretty much equal, and I bet the glass comes from the same place. They all offer great warranties. So I figure, maybe save the dough!

I have no experience with the EOTech Vudu, but they have offerings in your budget as well.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top