Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2021 5:22:02 PM EDT
Milling my first 80%. I have access to a mill and have a jig.  I need to get a bit and a way to prevent over milling for dummies.  There is no stop on the mill.   Under 50$ would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#1]
if you have a jig, why not just get the one recommended by the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you have a jig, why not just get the one recommended by the manufacturer?
View Quote

Exactly, get their end mill to fit whichever of the supported routers you acquire.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Sigh.  I have a mill,  and am looking for a mill bit recommendation.   My jig is 3d printed.   I am teaching myself to do this without paying for jig kits. What mill bit and collet stop are people using.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I used a 3/8" center cut end mill, and a 5/16" end mill for the trigger slot. Cheapies should work fine in the aluminum.

Save yourself some time, and hog as much out as you can with a drill bit first.

If you have a mill, and want to save money, make your own drill stop, or mark your scale or dial.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am teaching myself to do this without paying for jig kits.
View Quote

This aught to be good...

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Milling my first 80%. I have access to a mill and have a jig.  I need to get a bit and a way to prevent over milling for dummies.  There is no stop on the mill.   Under 50$ would be appreciated.
View Quote

Do you intend to work strictly from just the jig, or do you have drawings to get/check dimensions?  If you don't have already, download the Ray-Vin manual on machining a lower.  It's written for using a mill.

As for tooling, at a minimum, you should have:

5/32" Drill - Trigger/Hammer Pins
3/8"   Drill - Selector Pin
1/2"   Drill - To remove bulk material from the Fire Control Pocket (the 3/8" will be used for this too)
1/4"   Drill - To start the trigger slot
7/16" Extended End Mill - You have to machine 1-1/4" into the FCG pocket, not to mention your jig thickness (a 3/8" will work, but it changes a few things)
5/16" Extended End Mill - For the Trigger Slot

Now, some comments.  If you have a mill (and a milling vise), you don't need a jig.  You can do everything to finish an 80% lower without one.  If it doesn't have a quill stop, but does have a table that raises and lowers, you can use the "UP" position of the quill as a stop.  You raise and lower the table to cut, and count your handle rotations.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:23:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top