Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2019 10:47:32 PM EDT
I have two BCGs, a Toolcraft (unmarked) and an Advanced Armament ("A" marked). Both have FN bolts (MPF marked). Both headspace fine in my rifle and carbine. However, recently, I noticed the cam pins have some wear to them. Who is a good "bang for the buck" US-made brand for replacement cam pins, as well as the vendor to go to?

Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
All cam pins get wear on them. It’s normal. Post some pictures of your cam pins.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Cam pins wear into the carrier where they impact.  It is normal and not something I'd replace.  It is possible if you replace them, you just accelerate more wear on the carrier as the new ones break in.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have and extremely overgassed MK18 barrel (recently re-ported with a BRT insert) that I also suppressed, and made the BCG move at lightning speeds.  It would outrun the mag spring.

This culminated in some serious wear on my cam pin.  Go figure.  I though it would wear to a point, and stop, like all my other cam pins and carriers.  Not this one.

Anyhow, to answer your question, I went to Sionics and got a few of their NP3 coated pins.  I am not into magical coatings, but I like how this thing is wearing.  Not beating up my DD carrier, and all is well.  For the relatively low price, why not?

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Listen to Alaska.

NP3 or chromed pins (Eugene Stoner’s original AR-10 designs all used chromed BCGs).
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Listen to Alaska.

NP3 or chromed pins (Eugene Stoner’s original AR-10 designs all used chromed BCGs).
View Quote
I am all about the hard chromed BCGs.  I only have 2, and absolutely love them.  If I could afford to replace the other 8, I would.

At the time, I was unable to find chrome cam pins, so I went with the Sionics based on another member's experience with a similar issue.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Recently scored a couple of these to refresh a few worn cam pins.

https://www.rainierarms.com/smith-enterprise-cam-pin/

A little spendy, but they make me feel warm inside.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Recently scored a couple of these to refresh a few worn cam pins.

A little spendy, but they make me feel warm inside.
View Quote
I have cam pin envy...

Link Posted: 6/20/2019 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I recommend just a basic cam pin nothing fancy from Damage Industries
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a few from BCM as back ups, they look very similar to my colt cam pins.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The cam pin is the highest wear part of the entire system. You'll have deep gouge mark where it is riding the cam pin slot on the bolt carrier. The cam pin is responsible for a lot of things.

You'll likely never need the cam pin replaced or changed. It ought to last the entirety of the bolt's life. That is assuming you're shooting 5.56/.223 rounds and not something else.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Long ago I cracked a bolt with the original cam pin. All the cam pins with all the finishes I have tried, wear. It is a different metal? Never have broken one and I have run on them pretty hard. i finally Quit worrying about the wear and keep some spares around if needed ( which I never had).
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Cam pin metal is the softest ib BCG, I can't find any harder. The coated ones work better and don't wear as fast as jus parkerized does I have broken a few in the past. I think someone has a complete BCG made out of S7 tool but I haven't checked the specs on it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cam pin metal is the softest ib BCG, I can't find any harder. The coated ones work better and don't wear as fast as jus parkerized does I have broken a few in the past. I think someone has a complete BCG made out of S7 tool but I haven't checked the specs on it.
View Quote
This is what you seek. S7 Bolt and Carrier, Pin is 4340 NiBX
Sharps S7 Bolt and Carrier

And if that Cam Pin is not good enough for you. This is your upgrade path but hardly worth the $Lantac Cam Pin
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

....but they make me feel warm inside.
View Quote
That's all they'll do.  GI cam pin is fine.

Quoted:

This is what you seek. S7 Bolt and Carrier, Pin is 4340 NiBX
Sharps S7 Bolt and Carrier
View Quote
That Sharps BCG has a rep for breaking bolts.
LMT enhanced is the only upgrade worth buying, it actually addresses the 3 issues with Stoner's original design.  Cam pin track, cam pin hole in bolt, and locking lugs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's all they'll do.  GI cam pin is fine.

That Sharps BCG has a rep for breaking bolts.
LMT enhanced is the only upgrade worth buying, it actually addresses the 3 issues with Stoner's original design.  Cam pin track, cam pin hole in bolt, and locking lugs.
View Quote
The cam pin/cam pin hole on my LMT enhanced bolt is just like on my Colt/FN/SOLGW bolts.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Waste of money, GI is fine.  Second the LMT enhanced.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am all about the hard chromed BCGs.  I only have 2, and absolutely love them.  If I could afford to replace the other 8, I would.

At the time, I was unable to find chrome cam pins, so I went with the Sionics based on another member's experience with a similar issue.
View Quote
Technically, the original bolts, bolt carriers and pin were not hard chromium plated.  In fact hard chromium plating accelerates fatigue cracking.

The original specification was "Electrolized", or what is known as Thin Dense Chromium (TDC) today.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top