Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/1/2020 2:10:00 PM EDT
Any recommendations on what to use clean copper out AR barrels?

Or am I overthinking this and just standard Hopes type solvent.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The sweets type cleaners will destroy your barrels faster than just running an oil patch through it. Unless accuracy has degraded substantially just keep shooting
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Shooters chioce copper remover.  Easy to use, as well as their bore cleaner. Hasn't hurt any of my barrels that I can see.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Butch Bore shine.

switched from Shooter choice copper remover.  (keep one eye on the clock.)
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used Butch's bore shine and it worked well
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Boretech.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Boretech.
View Quote
this

Wont eat your barrel, removes all of the copper quickly and effectively.  No polishing or paste required.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Butch Bore shine.

View Quote
I have been using the same container for years.  A little goes a long way.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Wipe out is good but I try to avoid using it in gas operated guns.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Sweets. Works well. I don’t leave it in the barrel for very long and clean it out completely. No issues with it
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I use sweets.  However, I don't leave it in the barrel long, and make sure to clean out any residual sweets with rubbing alcohol, hoppes, gun oil, then alcohol again, and finally another light coat of oil, followed by dry patches to remove any residue.  Sweets 7.62 gets the copper out really well, and I haven't had any barrel damage, but like I said, I don't let it sit in the barrel very long.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Barnes CR-10
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Boretech.
View Quote

Yup.  Bore Tech Eliminator.  Got mine from Amazon.  I started off cleaning pistol barrels.

Patches come out a pretty blue/green (like copper heated with a torch).  Keep cleaning till the patches don't change color.  Run some dry patches through it followed by that last lightly oiled patch to protect the barrel metal in between range sessions.

It seems to get copper and carbon fouling pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]
KG-12

Eats copper like no other and is amonia free so no cat piss smell and it won't destroy steel.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Wipe-out with the "accelerator" and sweet762 are prob the most common ones i use.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I do like the recommendation for Boretech. They have a general purpose cleaner that removes carbon and copper pretty well. Then they have the specific products made for carbon or copper. Boretech works well but it still requires a bit too much work for my liking.

My personal favorite is the Wipeout with the accelerator that someone else recommended. It is the only product that you really do not need to use a brush. You just pass the accelerator through a couple of times, then you either spray the foaming Wipeout can or you use the liquid based product. I also like the tactical one Wipeout offers that you can soak your bolt carrier in. I still use the foaming one. You just spray it in, then go do something and come back and push some patches through. Sometimes you have to repeat the process a few times but it gets the bore really clean.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yup.  Bore Tech Eliminator.  Got mine from Amazon.  I started off cleaning pistol barrels.

Patches come out a pretty blue/green (like copper heated with a torch).  Keep cleaning till the patches don't change color.  Run some dry patches through it followed by that last lightly oiled patch to protect the barrel metal in between range sessions.

https://i.imgur.com/uyaAI5fl.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/uyaAI5fl.jpg

Bore Tech claims a rust preventative compound in Eliminator, love that stuff.

In addition, the Eliminator also contains a short term rust preventative, which shields and conditions the firearm’s bore after cleaning. Just dampen your last patch with Eliminator and your bore will be protected against rust and corrosion for up to 2 weeks.

https://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator-bore-cleaner
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Have used Sweets 7.62 in the past, have settled on Wipe out as its easier and less smelly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 2:09:33 AM EDT
[#19]
The thing that really got me liking Wipeout is this post: https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/WIPE-OUT--PATCH-OUT-and-TACTICAL-ADVANTAGE-test/489-222278/

I have all their products now. I highly recommend the accelerator product along with the Wipeout.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 3:41:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I have been using Outers Bore Foam. Can is almost empty and have a can off Hoppes Bore foam to try next.
The foam contains no Ammonia , just fill the barrel with the foam, let sit 10 or 15 minuets and swab out . Done.
I then run some Gunscrubber to clean the foam out of the barrel.
Then CLP to protect the barrel.
The foam starts out White and turns blue when it removes the copper fouling.

I don't see the Outers anymore, but the Hoppes is Available.

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-908-Gun-Solvents/dp/B01B1TBB92/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=outers+bore+foam&qid=1593934771&sr=8-1#customerReviews
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Just copper?

Bore Tech CU2
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#22]
The more I've used it over the last few years the more things I've found Ballistol works great on.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/ballistol.htm

https://ballistol.com/

I started with this sampler pack as I was dubious about the claims.  They've all proven true so far, besides being great on firearms, it's worked on electronics, plastic, rubber and leather.  I'm still not ready to put it on any cuts or scrapes.

https://www.amazon.com/Ballistol-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-Aerosol-Non-Aerosol/dp/B00BOM1FK2
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 2:08:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The sweets type cleaners will destroy your barrels faster than just running an oil patch through it. Unless accuracy has degraded substantially just keep shooting
View Quote

Hoppes synthetic bore cleaner should be fine right?
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#24]
KG1 products work very well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone tried Slip 2000 Copper Cutter?
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
KG-12

Eats copper like no other and is amonia free so no cat piss smell and it won't destroy steel.
View Quote

I can confirm it does well removing copper and it's the only copper solvent I own.

That said, it's weird stuff. They say water based no ammonia, but damn if my bottle doesn't smell like cat piss (wife confirmed as well).

The surface tension annoys me, it is very difficult to get it to soak into a patch, which makes it hard to use.

I think the ammonia thing is a non-issue.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Bore Tech Eliminator is the best cleaner I have ever used, I was amazed at how well it works. After 25 years of trying A-Z products it's the last solvent I will buy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#28]
If you follow the directions on the bottle of sweets you will be fine. I never let it sit in the bore more than 12 minutes at a time and neutralize it after cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Shooters choice copper remover.  Easy to use, as well as their bore cleaner. Hasn't hurt any of my barrels that I can see.
View Quote

This is what I've tried and actually verified it works using a bore scope.  It pulled a every spec of copper out of this barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/4/2020 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I've used Butch's Bore shine with great results.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Butch Bore shine.

View Quote

Yes, Butch's Bore Shine.  It is highly recommended by Dan Lilja of Lilja barrels.

If extremely copper fouled, the strongest is Barnes CR10.  This is serious copper fouling remover. Barnes solid copper hollow point bullets like their TSX, TTSX and TAC-X bullets have amazing terminal ballistics, but fouling may justify CR10.  

I only use CR10 for solid copper bullets.  Everything else gets Butch's.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Another vote for Boretech eliminator.

Bought it recently and used it on some milsurps that were heavily copper fouled and it came out without much effort.

I haven't tested the Cu2 formula, maybe it's more efficient on hard cases, but Eliminator already wipes a lot of with every patch.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:46:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Bore Tech Eliminator FTW!

Cleaned a few of my father-in-law's milsurps in a fixture that positioned them with the muzzle slightly down.  By the time I had completed running a second wet patch down the bore there was literally bright blue-green solvent running out the end of the barrels.  Have used three other copper removers before including Hoppe's Benchrest 9, Sweet's 7.62, and Barnes CR-10.  In my experience, none of them were anywhere near as fast or effective in removing copper.  Checked them with a bore scope camera afterward and there was absolutely no sign of any copper fouling remaining.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:13:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I use sweets 7.62
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Wipe out is the easiest, safest and most effective combination for removing copper. No worries about barrel etching.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#36]
www.BoreTech.com

Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper Remover™ uses a revolutionary and patented chemical technology that rapidly removes copper fouling and is 100% barrel safe, odor free and biodegradable. Cu+2 Copper Remover’s cutting edge formulation is ammonia free and removes heavy copper fouling faster than the competition without the safety hazards, harmful toxicity, and offensive odors found in petro-ammonia based solvents.

Seems like all their products, rod guides, proof positive copper free jags are well thought out.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top