Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2018 11:24:58 PM EDT
So, has anyone received a recent Brownells A1 lower in gray. I noticed they were back in stock, but would sure like to see an example.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a “non-blem” Brownells XBRN16E1 lower receiver back in late August 2018. I had been waiting for Brownells to get a new batch of these lower receivers in stock, in hopes that the finish color issues would be straightened out on the new ones. I finally placed my order after noticing that Brownells was selling both “blem” and “non-blem” Retro AR lowers. The “blem” lowers were being sold at a lower price, solely because of finish color issues. To me, that seemed to signify that the “non-blem” lowers would be finished in the correct color.

My Brownells XBRN16E1 lower receiver has the greenish-gray coloration we’re familiar with, but it is not obnoxiously green. I didn’t actually notice the color discrepancy until I paired it up with a Colt gray upper. Ultimately, it wasn’t bad enough for me to send it back. The Brownells lower receiver assembled just fine, and fits properly with all of my miscellaneous spare upper receivers. My Brownells XBRN16E1 lower receiver is serial numbered in the low 200 range.

EDIT: The greenish-gray coloration of my Brownells XBRN16E1 lower is only evident under FLUORESCENT lighting. When viewed under LED lighting or (most significantly) in natural sunlight, the receiver is a nice charcoal gray color, without a hint of green.

So, it’s just a trick of the fluorescent lights in my basement. As it turns out, fluorescent lights accentuate (or exaggerate) blues and greens. So I’m happy with the gray color of my Brownells receiver.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is the link to my Reddit post on the cool difference between the blem and the new batch of lowers.
https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroAR/comments/9y8vly/brownells_m16a1_blem_v_m16a1_color/?utm_source=reddit-android
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think people maybe have an unrealistic level of expectation on color matching of these newly made "retro" ar parts, specifically the aluminum ones.

Anodizing is a chemical process that depends on the chemicals, electricity, an aluminum alloy, and the time it is in the bath to determine the color of the anodizing.

Even a slight variation in any of those factors can change the color.  And as the bath is used multiple times, this changes the bath itself.

In point of fact, when anodizing in a color (gray, FDE, green) anodiziers do not provide a single color, but rather a range that the color will be within.  How do I know this?  We work with one of the largest OEM anodizers in the nation who currently does the work for many of the big companies including Colt, and when we have done anything but black we provide them with several sample pieces of the part we are making, and they send us back parts to show the light to dark end of anodizing color range.

The true retro parts I have seen have plenty of variation in the shade of gray, and true guns even have variation between the upper and lower.

The best I can say is if you want matching, get repro retro uppers and lowers both from Brownells.  Otherwise understand that even the true guns had variation in their color, even between their upper and lower, and it is a bit of chasing a unicorn not only to expect the colors to match exactly, but also to think that is how the true guns were.

Anyhow, that is my two cents on this topic.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
+1

used to do quite a bit retro collecting building in the past (then stepped out for several years) and you are right on this
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]
They are good. Broenells got it right this time with the grey finish. Been waiting 5 months on the m16a1 recievers. They are the only ones right now with the new finish
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought this one back in October.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bought this one back in October.
https://i.imgur.com/DjlegOk.jpg
View Quote
Wow, that looks really, really good! If you don’t mind telling, what is your serial number range?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wow, that looks really, really good! If you don’t mind telling, what is your serial number range?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think people maybe have an unrealistic level of expectation on color matching of these newly made "retro" ar parts, specifically the aluminum ones....
View Quote
Yes, I understand all that, but Nodak has a great overall general match with their grey. Brownell's has been hit or miss and previous lowers had a noticeable green tint to them. I just wanted to make sure the newer batch was not greenish as well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I received this Brownell’s lower today and the blemished upper two weeks ago. Some minor difference in color but not too much.

Cheers,

Zipity
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
ZD, thank you. That is what I wanted to see. That looks good and best of all, it doesn’t have that green tint.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:08:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I have no experience with the brownells lowers but the last 4 "stealth" lowers I got from PSA without their logo were a nice gray very close to my nodak gray lower. At 40.00 and sometimes free shipping it's hard to beat.
I can post a pic tomarrow if anyone wants to see.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, please do. I picked up a nice gray Colt A2 upper and I’m trying to figure out how to use it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have no experience with the brownells lowers but the last 4 "stealth" lowers I got from PSA without their logo were a nice gray very close to my nodak gray lower. At 40.00 and sometimes free shipping it's hard to beat.
View Quote
Hello.  Gray anodizing or painted?  A picture next to some gray and some black anodizing would be nice.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Out of stock currently and the description say black so I'd love to see some pics too.

I have an A2 upper in gray and would be nice to have an anodized lower instead of a "painted" 80%.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is a stealth lower that came the same day as my Mattis lower.
The other 3 that I ordered after I saw the nice gray on this one look the same.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66182/palmetto_lowers_jpg-761948.JPG
View Quote
Das niiiiiiice!

At that price point I'll have to give them a call and see if they will be doing anymore Stealths in gray.

I like the St. Chaos lower too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:17:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for posting.  Just to be clear, was the gray lower was anodized with gray dye?  I am looking for a gray A2 lower receiver but am not interested in a black anodized lower painted gray.

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought one of the new batch and it doesn't have the greenish look.
Not a very close match to my bluish upper, but it's good enough.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting.  Just to be clear, was the gray lower was anodized with gray dye?  I am looking for a gray A2 lower receiver but am not interested in a black anodized lower painted gray.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry for the late reply;just saw thus pop back up in my active topics..
It's defiantly not painted
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top