Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2018 6:21:33 PM EDT
Tried a PSA 7.5 and the accuracy sucked. Now I have a lower that needs an upper. I dont mind building, though it would be my first upper. Money is tight. What are my options?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.beyerbarrels.com/

Call him up and talk to him, tell him what you want to do, and he'll fix you up with a barrel/collar.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
how accurate do you want it to be?

.22 lr tend to be not greatly accurate - but a lot depends on the ammo..

brian
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how accurate do you want it to be?

.22 lr tend to be not greatly accurate - but a lot depends on the ammo..

brian
View Quote
Psa barrell was about 30 moa. Id be happy with 2-3, maybe 4.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tried a PSA 7.5 and the accuracy sucked. Now I have a lower that needs an upper. I dont mind building, though it would be my first upper. Money is tight. What are my options?
View Quote
A 10/22.  Badum-ching.

I will recommend my set up.  Prices are approximate

Anderson lightweight sport upper receiver - $50-ish
CMMG heavy taper 16.1 inch barrel Optics Planet - $135
CMMG bolt and collar - Right to Bear Arms - $165
Knock off ambidextrous charge handle - Omega Manufacturing - $20
Thread protector - $6
A couple of S&W magazines - $40
Boonie Packer adapter or Catch-22 bolt catch and spacer - $40
Cheap free float tube - $30

$486 - I've built this upper twice, but with different handguards.  Both shoot a bit less than 1.5moa with Aguila SV and an aluminium thread protector.  (Groups get bigger with most muzzle devices).

CMMG also makes an M4 contour barrel I used to make a dedicated iron sight upper, but I think an optic only upper would be less expensive.

For less than that you can buy a 10/22 that will shoot 1moa.  I still enjoy the AR22 though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Right to Bear Arms & Supply has the best prices I’ve seen on CMMG 22 LR parts and uppers.  Lothar Walther has started selling their 22 LR barrels on their web site.   The barrels are supposed to be the same as when Spike’s parterned with Lothar Walther several years ago.   The L/W barrels were a good value back in the day and might be worth consideration for a little more accurate barrel than CMMG.  The Lothar Walther current 22 LR barrels are set up to use CMMG bolts.

Nordic sells a dedicated 22 LR upper which get good reviews on accuracy.  The Nordic uses a bolt patterned after a Ruger 10/22 and is not compatiable with the Better Mag Adapter.

https://www.righttobear.com/22LR-parts-upgrades-accessories-s/1873.htm
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have one of these.  It's a dedicated 1:16 twist and it will do what you want for MOA. The bolt is based on 10/22 and feeds everything I've thrown at it. It does work with Black Dog mags

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/nc-22rb-upper/
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Rebarrel it and send me your take off for my sbr. Cool? Cool.

Fwiw, I have a 16" on it right now. Dont remember the make, but maybe I can figure it out later. Shoots plenty well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#8]
my tac sol AR22 upper is amazingly accurate. reliable too. not inexpensive but i think its well worth it.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top