Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2021 8:48:43 PM EDT
had high hopes for this kit.  looks nice. but it broke on first use.  shoved the rod through the barrel and the handle broke off in my hand.  not impressed.   the real avid kit I have,  real avid
I will be giving this away and going with a pro-shot kit.  if you've never tried one of the pro shot kits the handle is aluminum and has bearings in it.  it's so much better.  they just didn't have one at the store I went to today. I'll have to order one online.  pro shot

heres a picture of the E clip that spread apart and fell off that made the handle fall off in my hand.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an Otis cleaning kit. They use special round cleaning pads but you can order extra ones. I also use it to clean my 12ga shotgun.

https://otistec.com/tactical-cleaning-kit/
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an Otis cleaning kit. They use special round cleaning pads but you can order extra ones. I also use it to clean my 12ga shotgun.

https://otistec.com/tactical-cleaning-kit/
View Quote

@tschlemm

I can agree 100% and say that Otis makes quality maintenance products!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I would avoid uncoated steel rods. The Otis and other pull throughs are nice, but for bench cleaning I prefer one piece. Always clean in one direction, chamber to muzzle. I usually bench clean multiple firearms at a time, and use a system to get it done without wasting time. I make my own one piece rods, mostly for larger calibers with long barrels. They're double ended with the jag first (or brush) and slot tip follower with the rod never being pulled back. Combined with my receiver links (for AR's), bore guides, solvent squeeze bottles and a muzzle mounted solvent pail (not trap), I can get it done fairly quick. The system also works well for new barrel break-in for those that do it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Lame.  I bought a nice 1 piece rod from the LGS.  The handle broke off of that one too.  I keep it in one of my rifle bags in case I need pop a stuck case  at the range.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Real Avid is cheap Chinese shit designed to be visually appealing and appear as high end.

They must be making a killing off new AR owners.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I sure like my Dewey.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Real Avid is cheap Chinese shit designed to be visually appealing and appear as high end.

View Quote
I bought one of their kits at Scheels for $25 on clearance
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, but their hammer is nice and I'm waiting on the bench block. It's Delrin like the Wheeler but has a rubber backing to keep it from sliding around.

For punches and roll pin punches I have Brownells and Starett.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#9]
get yourself some carbon tipton rods in the calibers you require.

fuck real avid. yes, both are chinesium but the tiptons are a much better grade of chinesium.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top