Toolcraft phosphate bcg (c158)
SOLGW 14.5 midlength gas
Bcm comp
Spikes gas tube
Solgw gas block
Vltor A5 buffer kit
Midwest 13” rail
Magpul grip , Sls stock

More of a budget minded gun, so picked up a deal on a gen 1 PST 1-4x for $269.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good. Good choice on the optic. I have more than one. I picked up both of mine 2nd hand not long after they they released the 1-6x and the 1-4x fell out of favor. That is a lot of scope for $269. I really like how fine the cross hairs are. The lighted portion isn't all that bright. Even a bit of an overcast day can overpower the light. No optic is perfect.

Looks like a nice build with a solid optic.

Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not much on mil-spec triggers, but that's personal preference. Other than that it dounds good and I agree, pictures are in order.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Why a comp?

I'm not trying to be a smartass/badass but 556 is very low recoil and I know 3 gun types use them for very fast competition shooting where inches count but don't see the advantage and mostly disadvantage on a truck gun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why a comp?

I'm not trying to be a smartass/badass but 556 is very low recoil and I know 3 gun types use them for very fast competition shooting where inches count but don't see the advantage and mostly disadvantage on a truck gun.
View Quote

I agree on the comp, but don’t see that he mentioned truck gun anywhere.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Why do you GAF what others think of your choices?
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Comp bc I live in the great state of nj.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why do you GAF what others think of your choices?
View Quote

Bc there’s a lot of knowledge here my dude.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

As well as a lot of dudes who have no clue of what it means to live on a budget with a family while also trying to put together a reliable rifle for defense of home and said family.

And then there are the guys who show up and post a list with every gucci component they can find as if to say, am I cool enough for y'all
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As well as a lot of dudes who have no clue of what it means to live on a budget with a family while also trying to put together a reliable rifle for defense of home and said family.

And then there are the guys who show up and post a list with every gucci component they can find as if to say, am I cool enough for y'all
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I am not sure that is what the OP did. His list appears mid to lower to me. He is even using a no longer produced (maybe it has been reintroduced) optic.

I don't understand the venom.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm not much on mil-spec triggers, but that's personal preference. Other than that it dounds good and I agree, pictures are in order.
View Quote

^^^

Using a brand name yard stick you didn't cut any corners on any component. Once reliability is confidently established, I think a trigger is the single most important component on an AR. If it were me I'd upgrade the trigger on the next pass but you are g2g on the overall build. And pics, pls.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, I am not sure that is what the OP did. His list appears mid to lower to me. He is even using a no longer produced (maybe it has been reintroduced) optic.

View Quote

I wouldnt go so far as to refer to it as "mid to lower tier". He used quality components and built a very respectable firearm. Just because he didn't pay extra for a name so that he can impress the internet people doesn't discount the fact that he used solid, reliable parts from respected companies. You did good OP.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

No slight intended against the OP.  Seems a solid build.  I just don't understand why people seem to seek approval of their components from other people.  Everybody has different tastes, budgets, brand loyalty, etc.  I think is it stupid to drop $200 on a handguard, but some spend even more, and for what?  A rollmark?  To impress the masses?  Like the shoe peoples say, jus doIT
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wouldnt go so far as to refer to it as "mid to lower tier". He used quality components and built a very respectable firearm. Just because he didn't pay extra for a name so that he can impress the internet people doesn't discount the fact that he used solid, reliable parts from respected companies. You did good OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point isn't that it wasn't solid or reliable at all. It was wise spending. I was countering a previous point made by another poster calling it "gucci" for some reason. And, I rarely if ever use the word "tier" in any discussion of ARs. It is silly speak. My reference was to price. A wise use of money. When one can spend hundreds on a stripped lower buying an aero would be a lower priced option as would the optic. Good stuff to be sure but not a $400 lower or a $1000 optic now is it. Do not attempt to characterize what I said in any way other than what I said.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No slight intended against the OP.  Seems a solid build.  I just don't understand why people seem to seek approval of their components from other people.  Everybody has different tastes, budgets, brand loyalty, etc.  I think is it stupid to drop $200 on a handguard, but some spend even more, and for what?  A rollmark?  To impress the masses?  Like the shoe peoples say, jus doIT
View Quote

Like he said above there is knowledge here. Providing a parts list here might expose some mistake that could be spotted by a more knowledgeable builder. Good insurance I think.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My point isn't that it wasn't solid or reliable at all. It was wise spending. I was countering a previous point made by another poster calling it "gucci" for some reason. And, I rarely if ever use the word "tier" in any discussion of ARs. It is silly speak. My reference was to price. A wise use of money. When one can spend hundreds on a stripped lower buying an aero would be a lower priced option as would the optic. Good stuff to be sure but not a $400 lower or a $1000 optic now is it. Do not attempt to characterize what I said in any way other than what I said.
View Quote

I agree with what you're saying here. My point was simply to not give the OP the impression that his AR is "lower tier". I in no way meant it as criticizing you and based on what you just said I think we pretty much have the same opinion. It's a solid  gun, built on reliable parts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I agree with what you're saying here. My point was simply to not give the OP the impression that his AR is "lower tier". I in no way meant it as criticizing you and based on what you just said I think we pretty much have the same opinion. It's a solid  gun, built on reliable parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#18]
What suppressor are you picking?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Solid build imo, nice.

One thing to keep an eye out for is extraction issues. I used two Toolcraft bolt/bcg, and both needed a stronger extractor springs w/donut in the bolt. Initially I had some fail to fully extract and then jam up as the bolt tried to load the next round. After that spring swap, they ran 100%. I’m a fan of toolcraft, very nice stuff. Your rifle should serve well.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top