Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2019 6:12:17 PM EDT
How well does the Raptor-SD Ambi Charging Handle mitigate gas blow back when a suppressor
is used on the following AR-15 type rifles, SBRs, or Pistols:
1) 5.56 NATO
2) 300 BLK
3) 9mm
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only used one on my 16" Mk12, but it wasn't amazing. Tuning with an adjustable block and carrier worked a lot better.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 2:55:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 3:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Having used both a Raptor-SD and PRI Gas Buster in a 10.3" with a Surefire RC, I'd say the Gas Buster works better overall. My experience was that the Raptor-SD did a good job as long as the gun was extremely dirty, but was of little to no benefit in a clean gun. I love the function of a Raptor purely as a charging handle, but in the end, I kept my Gas Busters and sold the Raptor-SD. That said, based on how it performed in a dirty gun, I'd think the SD would work quite well in combination with an RTV seal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have it on a 9" 300 blackout.   Does pretty well IMO.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I run all my stuff suppressed, to include 10.5. When it comes to 5.56 and you shoot a little bit of volume, few mags in a few minutes, no charging handle is going to do anything. I run Bootleg Adjustable BCGs. They are pricey, but the best option for redirecting gas away from your face.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run all my stuff suppressed, to include 10.5. When it comes to 5.56 and you shoot a little bit of volume, few mags in a few minutes, no charging handle is going to do anything. I run Bootleg Adjustable BCGs. They are pricey, but the best option for redirecting gas away from your face.
View Quote
In my experience, a quality gas diverting charging handle like a Gas Buster can make a noticeable difference. I don't even use an adjustable gas block or BCG, just a low back pressure can, a reasonable gas port size, H3 buffer and a Gas Buster - I can dump multiple mags over a short period without gas becoming any sort of major issue. You can smell gas, but the GB keeps the gas out of your eyes; to me, it's doing what I want it to do.

A gas diverting charging handle is just one small part of an overall system; one tool in the toolbox for dealing with excess gas. It's not a fix-all solution in and of itself. Of course, other factors, such as suppressor design/back pressure, gas port size and extraction timing are going to have far more impact on the amount of excess gas. However, when used properly and with realistic expectations, a gas diverting charging handle is a beneficial addition to a suppressed weapon.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In my experience, a quality gas diverting charging handle like a Gas Buster can make a noticeable difference. I don't even use an adjustable gas block or BCG, just a low back pressure can, a reasonable gas port size, H3 buffer and a Gas Buster - I can dump multiple mags over a short period without gas becoming any sort of major issue. You can smell gas, but the GB keeps the gas out of your eyes; to me, it's doing what I want it to do.

A gas diverting charging handle is just one small part of an overall system; one tool in the toolbox for dealing with excess gas. It's not a fix-all solution in and of itself. Of course, other factors, such as suppressor design/back pressure, gas port size and extraction timing are going to have far more impact on the amount of excess gas. However, when used properly and with realistic expectations, a gas diverting charging handle is a beneficial addition to a suppressed weapon.
View Quote
ding
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Great feedback - thank you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a gas buster. When I didn’t have the adjustable carrier, I was at a 2 gun shoot and put a couple mags down range in about 90 seconds. Halfway through, lots of gas in my face. If you are shooting from a bench sure, but if you are shooting volume, charging handle does almost nothing. I am well away of all the things you have stated, I have been shooting suppressed for last 15 years and got paid to shoot suppressed weapons.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a gas buster. When I didn’t have the adjustable carrier, I was at a 2 gun shoot and put a couple mags down range in about 90 seconds. Halfway through, lots of gas in my face. If you are shooting from a bench sure, but if you are shooting volume, charging handle does almost nothing. I am well away of all the things you have stated, I have been shooting suppressed for last 15 years and got paid to shoot suppressed weapons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I don't get paid to shoot suppressed weapons (more's the pity), but I do shoot in volume and the only time I shoot from a bench is to zero; I don't have problems with gas in the face with the setup described.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top