Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2023 9:21:44 PM EDT
I've got a radical firearms in 300 blackout. Unfired rounds are getting stuck in the chamber and are really hard to extract. But ONLY when loaded from a magazine. If I load a round into the chamber manually and send the bolt home... no problem.

Slide a round into the chamber then turn the barrel up, round falls free instantly.

If I load a magazine and send the bolt home loading a round in the chamber, that's when it gets stuck. With or without the magazine, it's still dang near impossible to extract.

I tried a different, known good BCG, and it was still almost impossible to extract.

I honed and polished the chamber. Still nada.

I tried with and without the o ring in the extractor. Same result.

Type of magazine doesn't change the result either.

I'm scratching my bald head over this one...

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Save yourself headache, time, and money by trashing anything Radical. Go to the main AR discussion forum and there's a post of "whats the worst AR", radical is listed a dozen times or more.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like there may be an issue with the feed ramps?

Can you post some pictures?

Also, I agree with the first reply...Radical may not be worth the headache
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I missed the info, but reloads or factory ammo?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Why do people buy garbage tier ARs when good quality ones are less than the cost of a case of ammo?

OP we are going to need way more info.

Or simply just reach out to RF. If it is theirs let them fix it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:51:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I know it's 2023 and all, but have you got a problem shown here?

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Save yourself headache, time, and money by trashing anything Radical. Go to the main AR discussion forum and there's a post of "whats the worst AR", radical is listed a dozen times or more.
View Quote

That is my post, and Radical ranks very near the top of the list for "WORST".  I've never owned one, but have tried to "fix" enough of them for friends / colleagues to agree with this post.  Just sell it at a loss, and buy something else.  In the end, you've paid for an expensive lesson:

RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY

When you do your research be objective.  Don't cherry pick your search parameters or findings to fit what you want it to say.  Listen to people that actually seem to have experience and judge accordingly.

Radical and Bear Creek are garbage.  Sell at loss. Move on.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are shooting reloads, do you have enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place through the feeding process. If not, the bullet may be moving forward and jamming into the rifling when being fed from a magazine.

You can increase neck tension on reloaded ammo by spin polishing the expander button in a drill and applying 600 grit/wet dry sandpaper to reduce its diameter .001" or 002".

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you so much everyone for their replies!

I've got a few more details.

I have polished and shaped the ramps (I'll get a picture uploaded) and honed/polished the chamber.  It's factory ammo.  No reloads.

I agree with the opinion on Radical, and I should clarify.  When I put "I've got" I didn't quite explain it enough.  I am a gunsmith part time (full time career elsewhere) and this one is from a guy who wants me to get it running no matter what.  So... now my dilemma.  I checked and done the common fixes for this kind of issue, but it's still being a pain.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#9]
0gilthorpe, when I started it looked like the bottom left picture.  I've got it looking like the top right picture now, just shinier.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you checked the headspace with gauges?  If the chamber is undersized there isn't much you can do outside of reaming it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thank you so much everyone for their replies!

I've got a few more details.

I have polished and shaped the ramps (I'll get a picture uploaded) and honed/polished the chamber.  It's factory ammo.  No reloads.

I agree with the opinion on Radical, and I should clarify.  When I put "I've got" I didn't quite explain it enough.  I am a gunsmith part time (full time career elsewhere) and this one is from a guy who wants me to get it running no matter what.  So... now my dilemma.  I checked and done the common fixes for this kind of issue, but it's still being a pain.
View Quote

I'm a full time gunsmith, radical is not worth the time or crayons to get working or deal with radical customers.

It'll cost him whatever the cost of a new upper from at least a halfway decent manufacturer. I don't touch radical shit. That's what it is, shit. Its totally ok to refuse work, tell customers their request is not possible in our Newtonian physical world.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Outside of the recs to trash the entire gun and/or customer, easy button would be to tell your customer it’ll be cheaper to pick up a $100-$150 Rosco/Faxon/BA barrel from whatever retailer is the cheapest than to continue to pay you to unfuck someone else’s incompetence.

If you don’t want to do that, it would seem you’ve eliminated basically everything but the barrel/chamber/throat through everything you’ve done.  Here’s a few steps I’d probably go next if it were me:

-  Try different factory ammo (if you haven’t already).  I wouldn’t say it’s super common, but you could have a bad batch/lot of factory ammo.
-  Check COAL on stuck round vs factory round.  If different, it’s potentially an ammo issue or a throat issue.
-  Look for visual damage on a stuck cartridge.  If there is any, it could point in a good direction.
-  If not, cover a cartridge in sharpie (case and cartridge) and let the bolt fly.  Anywhere you see shiny is something to look at and if it’s getting stuck, it should become visible using this process.
-  If nothing from the above, drop a new and a stuck cartridge into a case gauge and compare.  If the loading process is somehow damaging or deforming a cartridge just enough to cause an issue, this should become apparent here.

Until you’ve identified what is causing the cartridge to get stuck, it’s impossible to work on a solution, there’s just too many variables.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 3:18:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why do people buy garbage tier ARs when good quality ones are less than the cost of a case of ammo?

OP we are going to need way more info.

Or simply just reach out to RF. If it is theirs let them fix it.
View Quote

My .300 BLK suppressed upper is an M1S unit. But it runs like a sewing machine.
You don't necessarily have to buy spendy uppers to get good results.
That said, I have no experience with Radical.

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#14]
My cousin had a .300 BLK from Radical that was junk and this was years ago.

I'd still never buy anything from them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a cheap sob and i won't even touch anything RF
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm a cheap sob and i won't even touch anything RF
View Quote

Reputations are earned...
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top