Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2021 9:36:29 PM EDT
I noticed that the Radian Raptor's description mentions a "Nitride" finish on the "stem/shaft", which on a BCM, gets finish wear on the side and gets bare normally on the right side getting bare aluminum if charged alot hand cycling (unless you charge it the slingshot way avoid side wear)

In summary, Curious if the Radian Raptor has a superior/smoother/ less wearing finish if truly "Nitride"?

Anyone notice it to be more sleek when charging, compared to the BCM?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about the Radian Raptor charging handle....the finish on mine are no different than the finish on my other handles (DD, LMT, Larue....)

Looks all of the CH's wear about the same.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are talking about the Radian Raptor charging handle....the finish on mine are no different than the finish on my other handles (DD, LMT, Larue....)

Looks all of the CH's wear about the same.

View Quote

This here.  The charging handle doesn't seem effect the "smoothness" of the charging action significantly.  My high round rifles are super buttery when charging and I attribute that to the BCG getting highly polished to the upper after 1000's of rounds.  One just happens to have a Raptor, the other is a milspec Bushmaster.  My newer guns, also with Geissele and Radian handles are not nearly as smooth as the older guns.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Nitride is a steel treatment.  I am not aware of any charging ha due that is not aluminum.  Aluminum is anodized.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This here.  The charging handle doesn't seem effect the "smoothness" of the charging action significantly.  My high round rifles are super buttery when charging and I attribute that to the BCG getting highly polished to the upper after 1000's of rounds.  One just happens to have a Raptor, the other is a milspec Bushmaster.  My newer guns, also with Geissele and Radian handles are not nearly as smooth as the older guns.
View Quote

Thanks

Makes sense, just didn't know if the Raptor had a special coating opposed to others to give it smoothness without break-in or lube/grease.

Hence the Nitride Finish part in the description, I know the BCM ones have a very gritty finish in which it smells like carbon when charging it, even after lubing, if you choose to lube your CH
(as it's likely micro particular of the paint being shaved off)

Almost the smell of gnpowder/blowback gas, although again, likely an adonized finish smell.

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:10:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nitride is a steel treatment.  I am not aware of any charging ha due that is not aluminum.  Aluminum is anodized.
View Quote

I was thinking the same.

The description of the product states it's Nitride treated, unless it was a seller's description but pretty sure it was the factories.

Their out of stock everywhere so maybe it WAS a seller's input in the description to made it seem more exclusive than it really is.

Will have to check the factories description as you know have me wondering.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:23:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Aluminum nitride has to be a typo.  

BCM makes some of the grittiest charging handles you’ll find. (Except for the old Vltor made ones which I still believe are the best charging handles ever made.)

If you’re a fan of smoothness, get a good buffer tube that’s honed as well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:19:05 AM EDT
[#7]
It's anodized and a screw up from the vendor that posted it.  Per the Radian site:

The Raptor™ is truly revolutionary in design & function. From rapid palm “blading” or finger thumb charges of the weapon, the motion is fluid & fast from either strong or support side. Made in the USA from aircraft grade 7075 aluminum and MILSPEC anodized.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#8]
A 2 minute search of the manufacturer's page would have given you the correct answer OP.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]
speaking of nitriding, anyone know of a company that will do it to a gun for me?  there is a place close by in florida but they have suspended the custom service till next year.  "covid" you know....
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Hello. I’m new to the ar world. Quick question on raptor charging handles.. are they worth the price tag? I’m building my first, unfortunately I live in a state that doesn’t allow suppressors. So I will have a regular muzzle break. Is my money better spent else where than buying a raptor? Why is their price so much higher than the rest? Any info would be appreciated ty
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hello. I’m new to the ar world. Quick question on raptor charging handles.. are they worth the price tag? I’m building my first, unfortunately I live in a state that doesn’t allow suppressors. So I will have a regular muzzle break. Is my money better spent else where than buying a raptor? Why is their price so much higher than the rest? Any info would be appreciated ty
View Quote

@Peanut21

All good and welcome Fellow Gun Enthusiast....lol

First things first - get a quality sling and light on your gun....

Then do the upgrades - An AR is like a Lego Set - you are always changing it up.

The best bang for the buck is the Radian Weapons Talon Ambidextrous 45/90 AR 2-Lever Safety - you will use that a lot more than the charging handle...

Nothing wrong with a quality charging handle and I would upgrade that as well....

Make the gun fit you first...

Red
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok thanks for your advice. I’m really excited to be building my first. I got my psa lower, aero upper, fixed Magpul rifle stock. Now working the rest of the upper. My main goal is to build a precision rifle out about 300 or so yards. I’m going 223 wylde since I already have a supply of ammo. Hoping one day prices will come down and I can build something for longer range.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A 2 minute search TV of the manufacturer's page would have given you the correct answer OP.
View Quote

Would have done so, but being under the impression that it was Nitride treated as that's what the vendor had listed, my post was about the difference in smoothness, which there seems to be a noticeable difference.

Have compared both types and the Raptor not only is twice as thick on the arms/levers, in which it feels way more robust than the new model BCM, which look like Bat Wings on the large ambi.

Luckily, they don't seem to poke you tho when going single point, but I think that Radian did the design better, IMO, with a "one size fits all" approach.

I think the thickness of the raptor and imo, the contour is very nice and IF they were cheaper, I'd switch over to Radian fully.

If you haven't bought a BCM in awhile, the BCMs NEW style of CH "Large" is the width of their original *most popular* Medium  (when Vltor made them) but medium is now equal to the arm width of when Vltor made the small version. Although has the contour profile of the Raptor.

It's like they scaled down everything once they added the retractable arms to get into the race with Radian, Giessele, etc... Their original large was HUGE though and not a good seller from what I noticed in LGS', so likely why.

I remember confusion in threads when everyone was ordering mediums and not 'in the know' about the change of their CH style, and plenty returning them for the Large.

Also, I noticed that the BCM 100% indeed has a oddly bumpy brit in the finish where the Raptor is not only smooth but has a sleek finish.

In summary, I NOW see what why their are Radian Raptor fanboys.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top