Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2018 3:51:27 PM EDT
I know some people do it but doesn’t seem mainstream yet. LaRue makes a nice lower 1/3 mount for them. Pat Mac seems to be a fan. The biggest con seems to be of the optic gets wet and/or dirty and the dot disappearing.

I guess that new aimpoint enclosed mrds, the ACRO I think it’s called, will end up being a good option.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried using the trijicon red dot made by jpoint (pre-rmr) as my primary optic about 10 years ago and found exactly as you stated, when it gets wet the water drops made me loose my Dot and the area that projects the dot can pool with water or dirt. I saw the rmr for primary fade starting awhile back and just laughed. They will learn soon enough. Or maybe not since most just go to the range on a sunny day and make Instagram clips.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
All the news threads popping up with rmr problems has me worried
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone literally asked the same question a couple weeks ago but I can't find it.

I use one in a LaRue 1/3 mount for work.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone literally asked the same question a couple weeks ago but I can't find it.

I use one in a LaRue 1/3 mount for work.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435001/20180331_185533-586196.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435001/20180331_185605-586197.JPG
View Quote
Well, do you like it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
She’s had a few updates but I still run the rmr
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
She’s had a few updates but I still run the rmr https://image.ibb.co/foxt1T/4_E6_F4_AAB_DA64_4668_AF81_502_F1_F1_B3_A28.jpg
View Quote
Nice Evo
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't do it...

Too many reports of these micro reflex sights breaking when the rifle is dropped or banged around too much.

If weight is a concern, go with an Aimpoint micro like a T2.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well, do you like it?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nice Evo
View Quote
Thanks! I want a p2
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]
As do I...so my RMR can go on it
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where’s your pic addition at?
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ha! Well, when I finally figure out what I’m going to do with my RMR, I’ll post something. I’m still toying with the idea of doing a Roland Special Glock build, so no pictures yet (or in other words: until I actually get off my phat a** and build something to put it on).
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
You know what would be cool? A thread showing all the different micros with their different reticles in one place. For science
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I like them (obviously).

The G20 is my backwoods gun with a mag full of hardcast heavies.  It rains all the damn time here and it hasn't been a problem.

The 870 and CZ are for the house and the 7.5" SBR is a range toy,  I have a few Trijicon MRO's for other platforms; never had a problem with any of them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like them (obviously).

The G20 is my backwoods gun with a mag full of hardcast heavies.  It rains all the damn time here and it hasn't been a problem.

The 870 and CZ are for the house and the 7.5" SBR is a range toy,  I have a few Trijicon MRO's for other platforms; never had a problem with any of them.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81129/IMG_2475-587404.JPG
View Quote
Those look nice
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I just posted this in another thread but this is one interesting mount concept

Click me
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just posted this in another thread but this is one interesting mount concept

Click me
View Quote
That's actually kind of neat
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Same water on the emitter criticism for all mini reflex type sights.  Bogus to me, at least for the Deltapoint Pro.  One shake and its clear.  Maybe its harder to block because it is deeply recessed.  And 90% of the time this one has indoor HD duty.  Another is 45 degree offset on a recce type build.  Really good as a primary in my book.

No valid reason not to run duty grade mini reflex sights primary.  The new MIL Sig pistol comes with the slide milled for one.

Link Posted: 7/19/2018 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a Comp M4 become unusable during the W. P. Wilson competition due to biblical rain some years back. So nothing is immune to the environment and it can kick any optic to the curb as far as that goes.

As of now, I don’t have enough trigger time with this setup. Hopefully, the inclusion of the DD BUIS will help mitigate external factors such as weather and/or lighting conditions (RM 04). But I’m sure I’ll have a more comprehensive assessment as my training time/use of this particular optic/rifle combination grows.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’ve had a Comp M4 become unusable during the Winston P Wilson competition (2010 or 2011 time frame) due to biblical rain. So nothing is immune and the environment can kick any optic to the curb as far as that goes.

As of now, I don’t have enough trigger time with this setup. Hopefully, the inclusion of the DD BUIS will help mitigate external factors such as weather and/or lighting conditions (RMR 04). But I’m sure I’ll have a more comprehensive assessment as my training time/use of this particular optic/rifle combination grows.

Cheers.
View Quote
That’s the reason I went the an adjustable led. If I was running piggyback an acog I’d be fine with the dual illuminated.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I prefer the Leupold DPP because I don't have to remove the optic from it's mount to access the battery. This DPP has been running the same Duracell battery for well over two years now.

The comment about rain causing problem with the emitter is seriously just a load of horsehit btw. I have used this DPP in rain, snow and heavy dust conditions without any worse problems than my other rifle with an Aimpoint experienced.

Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That’s the reason I went the an adjustable led. If I was running piggyback an acog I’d be fine with the dual illuminated.
View Quote
I went with the 04 just to avoid the battery changing ritual that the LED version would have committed me to.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I prefer the Leupold DPP because I don't have to remove the optic from it's mount to access the battery. This DPP has been running the same Duracell battery for well over two years now.

The comment about rain causing problem with the emitter is seriously just a load of horsehit btw. I have used this DPP in rain, snow and heavy dust conditions without any worse problems than my other rifle with an Aimpoint experienced.

https://i43.servimg.com/u/f43/12/63/91/01/20180710.jpg
View Quote
Nicely done.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I’d go with a DPP over an RMR any day of the week.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Someone asked about reticle comparisons.  Here is my DPP with the 7.5 MOA triangle.  The slight bloom is from my camera lens overexposing.  Not present looking through the optic.

Link Posted: 7/24/2018 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#30]
DPP FTW!
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I’ll be running one on my Sig 716G2
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#32]
1. If you want an optic with lots of optical distortion, a window so dark its hard to use at night, and a tiny window, the RMR is your clear choice.

2. If you want a clearer, undistorted, larger windowed mini optic, get the DPP, just dont think it is as rugged or reliable as a T1/T2.

I have broken a DPP on a duty pistol during a high risk warrant class from a single drop with only the weight of the pistol and only from waist height. If you take a spill with a rifle with a DPP, or any current mini dot, it is not going to hold up as well as a more robust optic. The glass on the DPP is also quite exposed on the top of the hood and the hood too close to the body IMO.

I ran a Docter Optic back in the day, on a carbine, before I was in law enforcement. While I didnt break it, it had more distortion and a smaller window than an Aimpoint. It worked fine for a range toy, but I'd never use or reccomend a mini dot sight for serious use as a primary optic. Mini dot sights are great secondary 45 degree offset sights for close range or on a handgun where size limitations preclude a larger, more robust optic.

Anyone who thinks a DPP or any current mini red dot is tough enough for a fighting rifle is just fooling themselves. Its plenty tough sitting in your closet for HD, but it does not hold up to impacts and drops. Id love to see a Youtube vid of somone pushing a fragile sight as a primary dropping a DPP equipped carbine upsdide down from chest height onto concrete. It would break over 50% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Oh FFS...my DPP has held up very well to normal abuse such as literally tossing my rifle into the bed of my truck or behind the seat. My DPP has definitely stood up to it's fair share of knocks and hits. Hell, it brushed off a nasty spill from the hood of my truck and a concrete curb. Cosmetically gouged and scratched up the hood and a corner of the optic body itself pretty good... but otherwise intact and fully functional.

However, I do not have any unrealistic expectation that my DPP would fare well if I dropped it straight onto concrete from chest height while attached to my rifle...then again, I don't expect ANY optic to survive unscathed. Not even my Aimpoint.  That's why I sling my rifle when running or gunning.

Do I expect my DPP to withstand a drop from a second floor window if my rifle impacted anywhere other than on the optic itself, such as the barrel or buttstock? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I have an RMR, DP, and DPP

DPP is far and away the best so far. I run it on my USPSA PCC rig and it takes a mild beating. The old DP was ok, but battery was beneath and adjustments sucked. Auto-brightness worked well. The RMR is fine, but the glass sucks. Too dark and too much curvature. It has been relegated to 45* offset duty on my LR-308 jobber.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Oh FFS...my DPP has held up very well to normal abuse such as literally tossing my rifle into the bed of my truck or behind the seat. My DPP has definitely stood up to it's fair share of knocks and hits. Hell, it brushed off a nasty spill from the hood of my truck and a concrete curb. Cosmetically gouged and scratched up the hood and a corner of the optic body itself pretty good... but otherwise intact and fully functional.

However, I do not have any unrealistic expectation that my DPP would fare well if I dropped it straight onto concrete from chest height while attached to my rifle...then again, I don't expect ANY optic to survive unscathed. Not even my Aimpoint.  That's why I sling my rifle when running or gunning.

Do I expect my DPP to withstand a drop from a second floor window if my rifle impacted anywhere other than on the optic itself, such as the barrel or buttstock? Absolutely.
View Quote
An aimpoint would handle that drop
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Aimpoints are not impervious to damage either. I know of at least one T1 that took damage to the rear lens and ring that caused leakage and fogging. Dropped from a truck tailgate onto a gravel car lot. I thought I still had a picture of it but damned if I can find it in my phone.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Since you didn’t specify which model of AP, all I can tell you is that my last unit had a pretty good run on breaking Comp M2’s and M4’s in the most benign and silly of ways.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top