Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2021 10:28:31 AM EDT
Hello all!  Thank you for taking the time to read my post.  I was hoping the experts here could help me out.  I have been out of the AR game for some time but getting back into it.  I need to finish off my Vietnam 67/68 AR-15 retro-clone and have a few questions.  First off, I need a front pivot pin and rear takedown pin.  Right now I can only find them without the springs and detent.  So, which size detent "ball" would I need to purchase to fit the pins?  

Also, I need a BCG and charging handle (parked) - looks like near impossible to find right now?  

I really appreciate any help and advice on my build.  Thank you very much and best regards,

Sincerely,

Bill K.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#1]
For the front take-down pin, are you talking about the non-captured pins that are retained by a little ball detent?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Bill, what lower are you using. I would think that by 1967-68 all ARs would at least have a partial fence with full fence starting to making their way into circulation so regular pins front and rear would be used.

It would also help  to know what model or features you're trying to make and we can steer you in the right way. Also are you going with grey or black receivers?

Retro Rifle Model Guide
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bill, what lower are you using. I would think that by 1967-68 all ARs would at least have a partial fence with full fence starting to making their way into circulation so regular pins front and rear would be used.

It would also help  to know what model or features you're trying to make and we can steer you in the right way. Also are you going with grey or black receivers?

Retro Rifle Model Guide
View Quote

The standard pin was in use by 65, so you are correct. That’s why I was confused by the OPs question
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys - Thank you so much for your replies!  So sorry for lack of detail.  So, my lower is a Nodak Spud parked full fence.  I am trying to recreate a late 67, 68 M-16A1.  It seems like the only front pivot and rear take-down pins I can find come without the springs and the detents - the detents can be purchased but I am not sure what size to buy - they offer several different sizes.  

If you need more info. please let me know!  As I said, only back into the game after many years off.  I am a bit rusty.  

Also, if anyone has a line on a parked BCG please let me know.

Thank you again guys!

Best,
Bill K.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Any take down detents and springs out of a modern lower parts kit should work.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Those take down detent pins are easy to duplicate if you have a hacksaw. bench grinder, and a 3/32 SS welding rod.  Brownells has the springs.  Do a search there, they'll pop up. That front detent pin and spring can be a bear to install.  There is a special tool that makes it easy.  More info on that if you like.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top