Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2020 12:55:54 PM EDT
Greetings all!

So, I’m finally leaning towards the notion of mounting some species of red dot sight on my SpecterDR. No idea if I’ll leave it, as the 1x setting works rather well, but thought I should try it for a while.

Now, if I were smart, I’d save money and just stick with the Xoptek RDS that came with it. However, when I was talking about this last year, the new Xoptek was met with universal scorn and derision, partially due to it apparently being made in China.

I still can’t seem to find any reviews on these things. Maybe my Google-Fu is just weak, but it seems odd to me.

Anyway, some people recommended a Docter RDS. However, their site makes me wonder... the link to their youtube video is still dead, a full year after I sent them an email about it, and their phone number goes straight to a message that says they aren’t able to receive calls.  No voicemail or anything.

I’ve also read that while guys in the sandbox used to use them, that they’ve been replaced by Trijicon RMRs.

So... do folks have strong opinions on what to use? Docter? RMR? Xoptek? Something else?

If I went with an RMR, that leads to a bunch of other questions as there are so many variants. I kind of like the battery-free one, but deciding would be tough.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Use case is for my patrol rifle at work.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a Docter fanboy but admit there are more durable options on the market. The glass is just phenomenal and the viewing window is large. The Docter on my G19 Roland has taken a decent beating and hasn't had any issues, for whatever that's worth.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a Docter fanboy but admit there are more durable options on the market. The glass is just phenomenal and the viewing window is large. The Docter on my G19 Roland has taken a decent beating and hasn't had any issues, for whatever that's worth.
View Quote
Any idea how one could get hold of them if you wanted to? I’d hoped they respond to my message earlier and call me back like their response form said, but so far, nothing...
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
My 1/4x does not have a MRDS.  No need IMO.  It is fast for me on 1X.

My 1.5/6 wears an L3 MRDS.  I believe it is discontinued.  I don't have enough rounds downrange to have formed any final conclusions.  But it is small and very lightweight.  You, do however, have to break cheek weld to use it.   If running NODs then this is not an issue.

Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Any idea how one could get hold of them if you wanted to? I'd hoped they respond to my message earlier and call me back like their response form said, but so far, nothing...
View Quote
I've never ordered direct from Docter but they're available from any number of retailers. I just did a quick google for 'Docter red dot' and found various models in stock at a few places.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got the Docter on my Elcan and a RMR on my Acog.  I like them both, but that Docter has that classic look...  My Dr has held up well.

and a pic of my RMR Acog Ecos set-up

Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want an RMR go Trijicon and dont look back. Insight MRDS is a great option and at that point it comes down to what you want.

I always end up back with Trijicon. I just like the reticles better. But again thats me and 21+ years military service.

Also I have a LIF for the Elcan 1.5x-6x. Works just like the TA91 on the 4x32 Acog.

The Trijcon was a smaller overall profile than the others. I could have used the Sig Romeo 1 as well but the color was different.

Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#7]
You honestly dont need ANY mrds on the Elcan. I have owned both and ran every red dot and in the end took them off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Greetings all!

So, I’m finally leaning towards the notion of mounting some species of red dot sight on my SpecterDR. No idea if I’ll leave it, as the 1x setting works rather well, but thought I should try it for a while.

Now, if I were smart, I’d save money and just stick with the Xoptek RDS that came with it. However, when I was talking about this last year, the new Xoptek was met with universal scorn and derision, partially due to it apparently being made in China.

I still can’t seem to find any reviews on these things. Maybe my Google-Fu is just weak, but it seems odd to me.

Anyway, some people recommended a Docter RDS. However, their site makes me wonder... the link to their youtube video is still dead, a full year after I sent them an email about it, and their phone number goes straight to a message that says they aren’t able to receive calls.  No voicemail or anything.

I’ve also read that while guys in the sandbox used to use them, that they’ve been replaced by Trijicon RMRs.

So... do folks have strong opinions on what to use? Docter? RMR? Xoptek? Something else?

If I went with an RMR, that leads to a bunch of other questions as there are so many variants. I kind of like the battery-free one, but deciding would be tough.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Use case is for my patrol rifle at work.
View Quote
EOTech/Insight no longer supports their MRDS but it remains one of my favorites, IMO. No tint, no distortion, good FoV, and the auto brightness feature is responsive and works great.

Also like the RMR. Might be an oddball suggestion but maybe think of the RM08G? Makes a great backup... no batteries to mess with, powered by sunlight in daylight or tritium in darkness. I like the triangle for zeroing the tip at 25-50 yards depending on application and using the tip for precise shots and just hovering the whole triangle over the target up close.

Not necessary IMO with a 1x as it's close enough to true 1x to not need a reflex sight, so the main purpose of it being there would be a backup or option for if you can't behind the optic properly for one reason or another (such as you need to throw on a respirator and the geometry of the mask you have doesn't play nice with shouldering a weapon). Dual-illuminated model would serve that "backup" purpose well.

I don't currently use any kind of reflex on my SpecterDR 1-4x but I do have an RM08G on my M4 Super90 and have swapped it onto the Specter a couple times to see what it's like, and it kind of has me wanting to add one for backup purposes at some point.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#9]

I have an RMR HRS sitting on top of the 1/4. The mount is a little bit harder to find. Highly recommend.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top