Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/16/2018 7:12:52 AM EDT
My experience with true RDS is limited to the Vortex Sparc2 but due to my bad eyes it doesnt work for me... the fact the dot is not well defined is distracting while shooting...
I also have an old TA44 with the 6moa Dot and that works perfectly.

what other options are out there, beside Trijicon, for people with astigmatism?

Will higher quality RDS such as Aimpoint work?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the Eotech reticle.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#2]
low-powered optics with etched lenses seem to solve this issue with most

as always, it's best to try it out before you buy it. some manufacturers state claims of daylight-bright reticles when it's simply not so

if you can only check it indoors, aim it at, or near, a bright light to check it. but I'd still want to check it outdoors in full sunlight
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a bad astigmatism and bad eyes generally. The aimpoint T2 didn't work out for me. The dot was more of a comet. That really sucked as I loved the sight otherwise.

Im looking at the mini acogs but can't get over the price tag for a 1.5 optic.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#4]
They all look like shit to me.  I just use an Aimpoint and aim with the blob.  I use a scope for everything but HD.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Just a personal observation from an astig guy w/corr lenses.
Like samuse, my RDS is for closer-in stuff & the gun is dedicated to that role. Put dot on meat, press trigger.

Corrective or not, every layer between the eye & the real world adds a level of distortion. Some people are reluctant to move the RDS from anywhere other than as far forward as possible because "OMG, field of view, situational awareness, what will the internet think?!!!"  Depending on the dot, sometimes it can be moved rearward a bit, a slot or 3, & the dot itself will resolve as a bit more defined. Just experiment & train with it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]
What about other trijicons like mro, reflex etc?
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about other trijicons like mro, reflex etc?
View Quote
the MRO is just another red dot sight, so that's probably not going to help

however, the Reflex has an illuminated reticle, just like your TA44. I think it's a great choice for anyone in your shoes for recreational shooting

if you're hesitant about being able to use it in the dark, don't be. most models use both ambient light and tritium to illuminate the reticle
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Like samuse, my RDS is for closer-in stuff & the gun is dedicated to that role. Put dot on meat, press trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I agree,
The sparc is mounted on a PCC and tried to get used to the issue since most of the shooting is done at max 25m.
The issue became frustrating this weekend when I tried some 100m hits..

Depending on the dot, sometimes it can be moved rearward a bit, a slot or 3, & the dot itself will resolve as a bit more defined. Just experiment & train with it.
I’ll give that a try
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I would go with a 1x Prism style scope like the new Primary Arms Cyclops http://www.primaryarms.com/pa-1x-compact-prism-scope-with-acss-cyclops-reticle-black . Has their very good ACSS retiicle and no issues with a blurry dot.  Vortex also makes a version, but the PA would be my pick based off of their other offerings and reputation
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Try a 1x prism sight. I looked through a Vortex Spitfire and I'm putting that on my AR pistol. Extremely clear and my eyes aren't worth a shit.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I have afriend with a Trijicon reflex... I'll take a look at it...

is the PA Cyclops out already?
I could move the TA44 from the AR to the PCC and the Cyclops with the acss reticle looks like a good sight for the AR...
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a bad astigmatism and shitty eyesight, all red dots turn into comets.

I don't get why people get into a fuss about it. Red dots aren't' meant for target shooting, they're meant for 100meters and in and being able to quickly shoot at a target. By that standard, they're easily the best and any comet or problems caused by an astigmatism are negligible.

If you are target shooting, an Eotech would be better than an Aimpoint or similar style red dot. The 1 moa dot on an Eotech is superior for this
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:...
If you are target shooting, an Eotech would be better than an Aimpoint or similar style red dot. The 1 moa dot on an Eotech is superior for this
View Quote
if you are target shooting, you should be using a low-powered magnified optic. with current quality and price points it's a no-brainer
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
My experience is go with the smallest dot.  Further, some dots which seem great when outdoors in bright sunlight can be horrible indoors or darken areas.  Try before you buy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#15]
The solution is not to spend money on a new 1x optic, but to spend money on a non LASIK corrective laser sugery (PRK, LASEK, etc.) Then your dot sights work, your irons become twice as accurate, your scopes, spotters, and binoculars all look like you upgraded to higher end glass. It is the best money you will ever spend on optics. You also never need to buy new glasses, contacts, pay for doctor's visits, etc. The single biggest improvement to my shooting of any purchase, ever.

Ghetto solution... shoot whole looking through your rear ghost ring, but no front. Dot crisps right up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
^^^
Well I guess you’re right.. btw laser surgery is on my to do list
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The solution is not to spend money on a new 1x optic, but to spend money on a non LASIK corrective laser sugery (PRK, LASEK, etc.) Then your dot sights work, your irons become twice as accurate, your scopes, spotters, and binoculars all look like you upgraded to higher end glass. It is the best money you will ever spend on optics. You also never need to buy new glasses, contacts, pay for doctor's visits, etc. The single biggest improvement to my shooting of any purchase, ever.

Ghetto solution... shoot whole looking through your rear ghost ring, but no front. Dot crisps right up.
View Quote
Why not LASIK? My Dad did that a decade ago and hasn't had any problems.

I'm too blind for that solution, I can't see any faces without glasses. My favorite part of the day is when I wake up and I can't find my glasses on my nightstand and spend 15 minutes looking for it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Meprolights Tru Dot works great for me.  Just about every other RDS Star bursts some for me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#19]
EOTechs or the new vortex UH6 are holographic, so they have almkst no bloom.  All other red dots are projected, so they splay more.  Illuminated etched reticles are good too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a bad astigmatism and bad eyesight as well.  Do you guys not wear glasses? With my glasses I see no difference in any dot. no flare, no blob.
I use Eotech because I like them.  My AP dot is too hard to pick up quickly but I still shoot ok.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a bad astigmatism and bad eyesight as well.  Do you guys not wear glasses? With my glasses I see no difference in any dot. no flare, no blob.
I use Eotech because I like them.  My AP dot is too hard to pick up quickly but I still shoot ok.
View Quote
I think if some sorry bastard were to break in my house, the last thing on my mind would be to put my glasses on. I tried to think about a real life scenario and ultimately, I think a 1x prism sight is going to be what's best for me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#22]
For me any standard red dot sight, whether low quality or high quality, the reticle has some spider legs for me. I only notice it in darker lighting conditions though, never during daylight.

Etched reticles / prism sights are helpful for this.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#23]
With my slight astigmatism I find the newest Aimpoints, Holographic sights and ElCAN's work the best with the least distortion.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My experience with true RDS is limited to the Vortex Sparc2 but due to my bad eyes it doesnt work for me... the fact the dot is not well defined is distracting while shooting...
I also have an old TA44 with the 6moa Dot and that works perfectly.

what other options are out there, beside Trijicon, for people with astigmatism?

Will higher quality RDS such as Aimpoint work?

Thanks
View Quote
My astigmatism resulted in my EoTech looking like a cluster of red grapes instead of a dot.

First I bought a Vortex Spitfire prism scope with red & green dots.

The green dot works pretty well.

I have since discovered Primary Arms has traditional scopes, ACOG scopes, prism scopes, all with green illumination and ACSS reticles.

They work great for me.

Selection comes in a wide variety of performance options and prices.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have afriend with a Trijicon reflex... I'll take a look at it...

is the PA Cyclops out already?
I could move the TA44 from the AR to the PCC and the Cyclops with the acss reticle looks like a good sight for the AR...
View Quote
Looking like August for the Cyclops if you preorder it
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Without my glasses, most dots become blobs.  With my glasses, they look clear & precise.  EOTechs seem to look better to my eyes than the "tube" dots like Aimpoint & PA Micros.

I will most likely be purchasing a 1x prism sight like the Cyclops later this year for my 11.5" pistol, and attaching my Streamlight TLR to it.  Depending on how I like the setup after some training, I hope it will be my HD gun.  Until then, the TLR resides on my Beretta 92G Vertec.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a bad astigmatism and shitty eyesight, all red dots turn into comets.

I don't get why people get into a fuss about it. Red dots aren't' meant for target shooting, they're meant for 100meters and in and being able to quickly shoot at a target. By that standard, they're easily the best and any comet or problems caused by an astigmatism are negligible.

View Quote
With the right brightness setting, I can use the top of the dot to act as my aiming point like someone would use the top of the post of a front sight.  I can get decent grouping with my Vortex Strikefire.  Not quite scope quality, but it's an effective work around.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

With the right brightness setting, I can use the top of the dot to act as my aiming point like someone would use the top of the post of a front sight. I can get decent grouping with my Vortex Strikefire. Not quite scope quality, but it's an effective work around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

With the right brightness setting, I can use the top of the dot to act as my aiming point like someone would use the top of the post of a front sight. I can get decent grouping with my Vortex Strikefire. Not quite scope quality, but it's an effective work around.
I can make decent groups with my MRO at 100m, but it's not anything I would show online. I can zero easily at 50m, but my Astigmatism really limits my group sizing 100m and out. With an Eotech, I don't have any of those problems, because it's a fine dot.
Aimpoint advertises their red dots for combat, home defense, and hunting and it works well for all of those as you aren't trying to make tiny groups.

Quoted:

This.
Without my glasses, most dots become blobs. With my glasses, they look clear & precise. EOTechs seem to look better to my eyes than the "tube" dots like Aimpoint & PA Micros.

I will most likely be purchasing a 1x prism sight like the Cyclops later this year for my 11.5" pistol, and attaching my Streamlight TLR to it. Depending on how I like the setup after some training, I hope it will be my HD gun. Until then, the TLR resides on my Beretta 92G Vertec.
Please report back, I'm really interested in that Cyclops. I'm currently thinking about getting their 1-6x Raptor or their 1x Cyclops
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Meprolights Tru Dot works great for me.  Just about every other RDS Star bursts some for me.
View Quote
This is correct.  I acquired one a few months ago to try and yes, no star burst as long as you don't crank it up all the way.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#30]
for me, the higher the power, the larger the bloom/halo.  lower illumination power makes them work for me but they will never be my favorite
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
That day time aperture fixes lots of problems.  I've astigmatism and am near sighted.  The aperture gives me a clear dot, clear target and a reasonably clear target out to 100 yards.

I used to shoot pistol through an aperture mounted on my glasses to sharpen my view of the sights.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I also have astigmatism, and use corrective contacts. One thing I've found that helps is to lower the brightness till you barely see it. Yea kind of defeats the purpose, and makes it harder to pickup on. But even if it starbursts, it's still usable, just not for tight groups. I do have a bushnell 1-4x illuminated reticle that works much better with my eyes. But it's heavy, and the illumination isn't daylight bright in Vegas sun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Trijicon RMR has been the best for me as far as a red dot.

However I've switched over to either LPVO or ACOGs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Vortex Spitfire is my favourite.  That etched reticle is much clearer than a projected red dot when you have a slight astigmatism, and has the added advantage of still being there when the battery runs out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Absolute co-witness with Aimpoint T2 and Magpul MBUS Pro is what I finally decided on, no "bloom" with brightness around 8 or 9.  Try it without the backup sights you might be surprised with what you see.

Also, with my Glocks went with Trijicons and also have the brightness turned down as well.  Works great for me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They all look like shit to me.  I just use an Aimpoint and aim with the blob.  I use a scope for everything but HD.
View Quote
This. It's not a precision optic. Why people think a red dot needs to be a perfect circle baffles me. Even with my astigmatism and a 50/200 yard zero, I can still make consistent hits at 300 yards with Kentucky windage (holdover).
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.
Without my glasses, most dots become blobs.  With my glasses, they look clear & precise.  EOTechs seem to look better to my eyes than the "tube" dots like Aimpoint & PA Micros.

I will most likely be purchasing a 1x prism sight like the Cyclops later this year for my 11.5" pistol, and attaching my Streamlight TLR to it.  Depending on how I like the setup after some training, I hope it will be my HD gun.  Until then, the TLR resides on my Beretta 92G Vertec.
View Quote
Just got my first EoTech...it’s the 2-0 and I also have an astigmatism.

I wear corrective contacts for my astigmatism and I still feel like the circle and dot are very fuzzy.

How do I tell if the reticle itself is defective or if it’s just my eyes???
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#39]
I am lucky, with my astigmatism I see a starburst. I went to a RDS on my SBR until I can try a cyclops from Primary Arms.

My other rifles I went with Steiner 1-4 P4XI. Daylight bright...can still use as a close quarters b it t reach out to a couple hundred yards with no issue.

Ever want to see what normal eyes see, take a picture through your optic with a cell phone...that was frustrating to see this beautiful round crisp dot in my Aimpoint Pro.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top