Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2022 6:00:33 AM EDT
Finally got my shipment of AAC 55gr.

Just sharing what I found visually so far. I am not knowledgeable on ammo manufacturing.

Not the strongest cartons. One had all the rounds stuffed in sideways (forgot to snap pic) and smashed corners.
Attachment Attached File

Primers do not appear crimped or sealed. At least to my untrained eye. Nice head stamping though.
Attachment Attached File

Overall length seems a bit short. Compared to two other 55gr 5.56 loads I have. Maybe a more dense alloy, thinner jacket (more lead), or seated deeper? The annealed section is shorter as well.

AAC comes out to around an average 56.75mm oal while the Hornady comes out to 57.2, and the IMI at 57.2 as well according to some harbor freight calipers.

Hornady Frontier 55gr left, AAC 55gr center, IMI M193 with 87 head stamp right.
Attachment Attached File

3,175 listed velocity. No idea of the bc. No clue on the test barrel length they use.

I don't know when I can get to the range to test it. I don't have a chrono, or anything longer than 14.5 either, so any testing I do will be limited by that and 3x max magnification.

I do wonder if it may be a .223 in 5.56 clothing, but it was cheaper than the local stuff

If it hits steel out to 500 yards as well as my other m193 style loads I'll be happy.

If someone has the equipment to test, and some AAC 5.56, I would love to see the results.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to see this stuff coming to market.

Back in the day, the Federal 100 packs of .223 had the same "short" 55 gr. FMJ projectile. Its just a manufacturing variation and never created any feeding issues in my rifles.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad to see this stuff coming to market.

Back in the day, the Federal 100 packs of .223 had the same "short" 55 gr. FMJ projectile. Its just a manufacturing variation and never created any feeding issues in my rifles.
View Quote
I'll treat it as normal then.

After adding shipping to the overall cost, 300 rounds at about .54 cpr isn't bad. Especially when the cheapest locally is .59 a round. And they aren't happy to sell you 15 boxes

If UPS didn't delay my shipping, I could have shot some over the weekend. But I'm stuck working at least the next few.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I've chrono'd it. Waiting for accuracy testing, but it's a little warmer than .223 loads, but not quite full M193 velocity spec.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've chrono'd it. Waiting for accuracy testing, but it's a little warmer than .223 loads, but not quite full M193 velocity spec.
View Quote
Looking forward to your results
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

'
Sounds like it will be good to shoot suppressed at steel then.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top