Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2018 6:45:27 PM EDT
I recently got my first AR 15. I bought 150rd white box of Winchester 55gr 5.56 with it; I assume it was similar if not exactly XM193. Went to the range and shot it all, it was great. Didn't care all that much about accuracy as we were shooting off hand at 20yd indoor. It did fine nonetheless; zero malfunctions.

Then, just like that, I was out of ammo.
So today I went to Academy and bought 200 more rounds. 100rd of Hornady Frontier M193 and 100rd of Monarch steel. They also had the different size packages of Federal XM193 but I decided not to get that, because the Hornady ammo was a dollar off and the Federal ammo is pretty consistently available at the price advertised.

What's your favorite M193 loading? Which is "the best?" How is the Hornady Frontier loading?
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The best from an accuracy standpoint is the one that shoots best through your rifle(s).

From other standpoints, I would consider a full-power loading with crimped/sealed case mouth, sealed primers, and loaded with a good projectile.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I am somewhat new to the whole AR thing as well.(2yrs).. but  I have come to like the FRONTIER M193.  It's not the cheapest , but close , and I find it to be reliable and consistent.  I don't go out just plinking away to run through ammo , so I prefer to buy (what I consider) quality ammo. No steel. I have gotten various weights of the Frontier and find them all to be of good quality. I am NO EXPERT here by any means , but I just prefer quality over quantity , even if its just for plinking.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Best only matters when you decide what you want to do.  Small groups at distance = better loaded performance ammo.(costs much more)  Shooting at the range blasting, anything that will run in your rifle.
The truth is anything made for the AR will hit a man sized target out to 100 yards with no problems.  Some may do better then others or run better in a some guns.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
IMI ... buy it from Midway, by the case.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a lot of one, or just a few choices. Everything for a purpose.  My bulk is in Fed 193.  Some like Wolf, or whatever.  No need to zero sights or scope for a variety.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#6]
On the topic of steel cases, I just recently found one of my bolts pitted with a chip on the bolt face. It's so small that it's barely noticeable and looks like dirt from initial inspection. Talking with the manufacturer of the bolt, they said steel case ammo will have primer leak and since the steel case doesn't seal up the chamber, a lot of the hot pressure is coming back to the bolt face which etches/pits the face. I have another rifle that I shoot a lot of steel out of and it is pitted really badly. It shouldn't affect anything other than just having a really ugly bolt face which bothered the heck out of me. The other rifles that I shoot only brass, none of them have pitting/etching on the bolt face and is in perfect condition. The TM calls for minor pitting on the bolt face but in my opinion it shouldn't' start until the 1000s, maybe 10,000s. A single session of steel case ammo can etch the face.

Back on topic, my favorite M193 load is Federal XM193 and IMI. I had great success with both and really like them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 3:50:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all.

I think for blasting away steel is probably always the best option. The downside is, the indoor ranges where rapid fire is allowed do not allow steel, so bottom-price brass is the next best.

I don't have a scope on my rifle yet. I do plan on putting one, but don't have the cash for it right now. After I do, then I'll start worrying about shooting tight groups.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 5:15:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMI ... buy it from Midway, by the case.
View Quote
Came to post this. Good performance in all my rifles. I wish Midway would put it on sale again..
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Wolf gold is good range ammo too
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Remember that the X in the XM193 means id did not meet Mil specs. Its no big deal though and should function just fine
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Remember that the X in the XM193 means id did not meet Mil specs.
View Quote
Not correct, X-prefix ammo is made for civilian purchase from the get-go
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#12]
IMI 193 and Wolf Gold are my go to training ammo.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I commonly shoot both AE 5.56 and Wolf Gold head to head.

Never had issues with either one.

I've been shooting some of my cached older AE.  Last week I shot some LC 16.  My older AE has shot slightly better than Wolf.  POI has been almost 1 inch higher @ 100 yards.  I was shooting a 10.5 inch AR pistol.  I saw more smoke at the muzzle than I ever remember (AE).  The Wolf out performed AE.  Has Federal changed their XM193?  LC 14 and older have shot well using multiple weapons.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not correct, X-prefix ammo is made for civilian purchase from the get-go
View Quote
Federal specifically notes that these products "are made to commercial standards," not MIL SPECs.  That means a few, probably trivial things, like the waterproofing standards, are skipped.  But they are definitely NOT overruns or anything like that, either.

It doesn't mean it's "low quality" ammunition.  It does mean that their X-prefix products are not "floor sweepings" and rejects.  It seems that a lot of people (who apparently had no experience with military ammo) used to think that because the XM193 wasn't highly polished that it was rejected military production.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had luck with federal, Winchester and PMC M193. Stay away from Remington ammo, in all things.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#16]
All of my rifles even eat Tula ammo without puking.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:43:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Federal specifically notes that these products "are made to commercial standards," not MIL SPECs.  That means a few, probably trivial things, like the waterproofing standards, are skipped.  But they are definitely NOT overruns or anything like that, either.

It doesn't mean it's "low quality" ammunition.  It does mean that their X-prefix products are not "floor sweepings" and rejects.  It seems that a lot of people (who apparently had no experience with military ammo) used to think that because the XM193 wasn't highly polished that it was rejected military production.
View Quote
Back in the glory days of Curio and Relic imports I bought a 50 pound box of literal floor sweepings from Paragon Imports. Mixed mess of any foreign milsurp ammunition you could think of.
It was well worth the money.

Anyway, OP, you have gotten good advice. Buy any of the big manufacturers, try them and see what works best in your gun. Get crimped primers and sealed for your SHTF stash, practice with cheaper stuff, and go commie when you just want to turn money into noise.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:57:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Just thinking out loud.

If the U.S. Mil no longer uses M193 how can we think that XM193 would ever be an "overrun"?

I thought all they use for general use ammo is M855 and M855A1 in the M16/M4 platform. No?

So any 55gr M193 like loading would have to be made for the civilian market from the get go.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just thinking out loud.

If the U.S. Mil no longer uses M193 how can we think that XM193 would ever be an "overrun"?

I thought all they use for general use ammo is M855 and M855A1 in the M16/M4 platform. No?

So any 55gr M193 like loading would have to be made for the civilian market from the get go.
View Quote
It's still out there in the supply system.  Not sure if it's the case anymore but there were still some air guard units or something like that, that had 1:12 barrels.  I was never issued any but I was in during the time of the A2 then transition to the A4 and beyond.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Wolf Gold 55gr.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top