Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2022 12:30:46 PM EDT
I've always been looking for something in an aerosol spray can that was more of a light oil that would be very quick and easy to coat an entire rifle with inside and out and I was wondering if G96 Gun Treatment might be the way to go for that purpose? I've been using Break Free CLP up to this point for that, but it takes way too much time to get a coating of it spread out over an entire gun.

This is mostly for getting a whole rifle lubed and protected quickly after the build process. I've tried a couple of different things over the years, TIFCO Industries MI-T-LUBE (seemed too much like WD-40 to me) and Birchwood Casey's BARRICADE (I absolutely hate the smell of it ).

So that leads me to G96 Gun Treatment... I thought I remember hearing that it's what Colt uses before sending their rifles out the door, but I may be miss-remembering on that one? I'm wondering if it's compatible with Break Free CLP and Slip 2000 Gun Lube and EWL? I don't want it to gum up if they come into contact with each other. Also, what are your experiences with it? Will it work for what I'm wanting to do with it or should I look elsewhere? Is it safe on plastics? It says it is, so I assume it would be.

Anyways that's about it. I hope someone knows something about it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Smells good.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used it since the 70's, and I don't have any rusty guns so....
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used G96 for almost twenty years. Excellent rust remover and penetrating oil, decent lubricant, and it's worked great as a corrosion inhibitor back when I lived in a humid climate. It would be ideal for your intended application. Lastly, it smells good.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Good to hear that the odor is decent... As long as it's not anything like BARRICADE.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quite a few manufacturers use it to coat their complete uppers and rifles before they ship. Fantastic product, smells good, works great as a protector, decent lube, and an awesome cleaner! There are certainly better lubricants out there but it's my go to for cleaning and long term storage of parts.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quite a few manufacturers use it to coat their complete uppers and rifles before they ship. Fantastic product, smells good, works great as a protector, decent lube, and an awesome cleaner! There are certainly better lubricants out there but it's my go to for cleaning and long term storage of parts.
View Quote

I spray it on all my reloading dies that I don't use often. We don't get humidity often here, but when we do, watch out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe that BCM used to coat with it prior to shipping. I'm sure that they are not the only.

I've been using it since the late '80s, great stuff. Haven't found a negative.  

And that smell......
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm becoming convinced... I think I might have to add a couple of cans to my next Brownells order.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#10]
G96 is fav all round. I have mixed it with others before and don’t recall anything gumming up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm becoming convinced... I think I might have to add a couple of cans to my next Brownells order.
View Quote

Just to give you an idea of how long I've been a fan....

Attachment Attached File

Like the Frank's Red Hot TV commercial,  "I put that shit on everything!"

Attachment Attached File

FWIW, the synthetic does not have that sweet smell.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
G96 is fav all round. I have mixed it with others before and don’t recall anything gumming up.
View Quote

Perfect! Just what I wanted to hear.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#13]
There’s only two things that makes me smell my fingers after playing with them and one of them is new Colts
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Opening my first BCM upper and unwrapping it I was hit by that smell... that's G96.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just to give you an idea of how long I've been a fan....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20220202-202743_Gallery_jpg-2264688.JPG

Like the Frank's Red Hot TV commercial,  "I put that shit on everything!"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20220202-202752_Gallery_jpg-2264690.JPG

FWIW, the synthetic does not have that sweet smell.
View Quote

You really are one of the true fans. Metal caps must be from the 70s, early 80s maybe?

I'm not planning to buy into the complete G96 product line just yet. I'm just wanting to test out the Gun Treatment first and I'll see where it goes from there.

I'm typically a fan of products that are odorless. The current Break Free CLP pretty much has no smell to it and neither does Slip2000.

I've used Break Free CLP for 20 years and never really had any problems with it. Though at one point I did attempt to switch to Slip2000 Gun Lube and EWL, I just never fully committed to making the switch. So, I have and use Break Free and Slip2000 products depending on my mood I guess.

I just need something that's more of a light oil that sprays on quick, towels off quick and that's easy to blow out the excess with the air compressor.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've always been looking for something in an aerosol spray can that was more of a light oil that would be very quick and easy to coat an entire rifle with inside and out and I was wondering if G96 Gun Treatment might be the way to go for that purpose? I've been using Break Free CLP up to this point for that, but it takes way too much time to get a coating of it spread out over an entire gun.
View Quote

To answer your initial question, No, G96 gun treatment in the aerosol can does not come out like a fine mist. it comes out like a stream and would not work in the manner you are wanting it to.

Very few gun oils spray in a nice light mist like that, most of them come out as a stream or a light foam. Ballistol, Eezox, fluid film and barricade are the aerosols I have on hand and I know they spray a mist pattern like you want. That being said, all of these products have some issues. Ballistol is not a very good rust preventer and has too low a flash point to be a good CLP type product. Eezox is a very good rust preventer it but it isnt a great lube and is very toxic, smells like a unirnal puck and really bothers your nose and throat. It also isn't compatible with any other gun care chemical and eats paint. Fluid film is a decent rust preventer but it stays wet, collects a ton of debris and smells like a sheep farm. Barricade is similar to Eezox but less toxic and slightly less odorous. That would probably be my pick of this bunch if having a gun oil that sprays as a fine mist is really important to you.... but you already told us you don't like the smell of that one so I am not sure what else to tell you.  

My preferred method to apply a quick coating of protection is to saturate a microfiber cloth in your favorite oil (mine is corrosion-x) and use that to quickly wipe down all the surfaces after the gun has been cleaned and dried. This method works better and wastes less than trying to spray the entire gun with an aerosol.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There’s only two things that makes me smell my fingers after playing with them and one of them is new Colts
View Quote

Well, I at least know what new Colt's smell like. It's been a while since I've bought one though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

To answer your initial question, No, G96 gun treatment in the aerosol can does not come out like a fine mist. it comes out like a stream and would not work in the manner you are wanting it to.

Very few gun oils spray in a nice light mist like that, most of them come out as a stream or a light foam. Ballistol, Eezox, fluid film and barricade are the aerosols I have on hand and I know they spray a mist pattern like you want. That being said, all of these products have some issues. Ballistol is not a very good rust preventer and has too low a flash point to be a good CLP type product. Eezox is a very good rust preventer it but it isnt a great lube and is very toxic, smells like a unirnal puck and really bothers your nose and throat. It also isn't compatible with any other gun care chemical and eats paint. Fluid film is a decent rust preventer but it stays wet, collects a ton of debris and smells like a sheep farm. Barricade is similar to Eezox but less toxic and slightly less odorous. That would probably be my pick of this bunch if having a gun oil that sprays as a fine mist is really important to you.  

My preferred method to apply a quick coating of protection is to saturate a microfiber cloth in your favorite oil (mine is corrosion-x) and use that to quickly wipe down all the surfaces after the gun has been cleaned and dried. This method works better and wastes less than trying to spray the entire gun with an aerosol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very few gun oils spray in a nice light mist like that, most of them come out as a stream or a light foam. Ballistol, Eezox, fluid film and barricade are the aerosols I have on hand and I know they spray a mist pattern like you want. That being said, all of these products have some issues. Ballistol is not a very good rust preventer and has too low a flash point to be a good CLP type product. Eezox is a very good rust preventer it but it isnt a great lube and is very toxic, smells like a unirnal puck and really bothers your nose and throat. It also isn't compatible with any other gun care chemical and eats paint. Fluid film is a decent rust preventer but it stays wet, collects a ton of debris and smells like a sheep farm. Barricade is similar to Eezox but less toxic and slightly less odorous. That would probably be my pick of this bunch if having a gun oil that sprays as a fine mist is really important to you.  

Well crap, there goes my hopes and dreams!

I'm really wanting the fine mist type aerosol spray that's similar to WD-40, MI-T-LUBE or BARRICADE. I'm needing to coat both the inside and outside of the rifles since I completely strip them of all oils in my cleaning process prior to assembly. I lube the things that need lube for assembly, but most all the surfaces are bone dry at the end of a build.

I'm still probably going to grab a couple of cans of the G96 Gun Treatment just to see for myself. But maybe I'm just going to end up sticking with Break Free in the end.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:14:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Opening my first BCM upper and unwrapping it I was hit by that smell... that's G96.
View Quote

This. It’s a great marketing tactic because when that smell hit me, I immediately went around preaching the gospel of BCM.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. It's not going to have a spray mist pattern like WD-40.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Get a siphon air gun and spray whatever you want into the hose and blow it onto the gun. Do it outside because it almost vaporizes whatever you put in it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Get a siphon air gun and spray whatever you want into the hose and blow it onto the gun. Do it outside because it almost vaporizes whatever you put in it.
View Quote

That something I've never heard of... I'll have to look into it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is actually a really good idea if you have an air compressor.

An HVLP sprayer probably wont work but a siphon feed paint sprayer should be able to get the oil to come out as a nice mist.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I use these to spray Corrosion-X and LPS on airplanes and fertilizer equipment.  It gets it done. I’ve sprayed a lot of ARs with it too. Just a squirt of whatever oil you want in the tube and it sprays a nice thin coat on everything.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top