Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2021 12:35:32 PM EDT
I am making the move to a pistol mounted RDS.

I would like to zero it for use with defensive ammunition.   I have discovered that Winchester Training and Defense offers 147 grain bullets designed so that the more expensive JHP Defense rounds have the same ballistic performance (launching, flight, and point of impact performance not terminal performance) as the FMJ training rounds.  Are there other manufacturers who offer similar options?

What are the factors to consider when seeking an acceptable training round in order to get it to most closely match that of a Defensive round?  

I know the ideal would be to practice with the defensive ammunition, but the cost of defensive ammunition prohibits me from doing so. Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe Sig offers ball ammo that is designed to replicate their V Crown JHP ammo for training purposes.
With a pistol, I wouldn't get too wound up over it. It's impossible to plan for everything and everyone is entitled to figure out their own risk tolerance - for me, I don't see a scenario where I'd be taking a legitimate defensive pistol shot beyond 30 yards or so (if that). At those distances, anything approximating normal-for-caliber weights and bullet designs are going to have minute of person POI/POA. There isn't going to be a meaningful difference between 115/124gr ball and my 124gr defensive loadings. My 2C.

ETA: This will get you better responses in the handgun -> ammunition subforum.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, you're right, I'll start a thread over there.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top