Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2021 10:44:40 PM EDT
When recycling, the bolt rotates and goes backward to extract the casing. Does anyone know if the spent casing rotate together with the bolt?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It should. Ejector pushing on it and extractor pulling it. But maybe the case grabs the chamber more and doesn't rotate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
It may rotate or it may not, depending on how hard the case is wedded to the chamber walls at the time rotation starts.

When you see ejector and extractor swipes on the case head, the case is not rotating at the beginning of bolt rotation and the beginning of extraction.  In some situations it is from the round being over pressure and is stuck to the chamber wall.  Other times, especially with low pressure rounds like the .458 SOCOM, the timing is off and the bolt is rotating and trying to remove the case before pressures have dropped off enough to do so.  In this situation, the bolt is rotating but the case is not and the ejector and/or extractor causes a case head swipe that is mistakenly thought to be a sign of over pressure when it is really a timing issue, solved by a heavier buffer, stiffer buffer spring, or if you want to get fancy, and adjustable gas block.

So, when it is a sign of over pressure and when it it a sign of timing?

Look at the primers.  If the primer is flat as a pancake all the way across the primer pocket with no rounded edge left on the primer and the case head has swipes from the ejector and extractor, that's over pressure.  Primers are the softest part of the cartridge case and are the first to show signs of over pressure.  If you see swipes on the case head but the primers show no over pressure signs, likely it is not over pressure.
If the primer still has nice and rounded edges but the case head still has ejector and/or extractor swipes, it's a timing problem and you need a heavier buffer or heavier spring or turn down how much gas is flowing with an adjustable gas block.  All you want to do is delay the bolt opening a few micro-seconds for the pressure to fall off more before the bolt starts to rotate and try to extract the round.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#3]
So my AR is single shot (pull action). I did that by covering the gas port. Don't ask why as I live in NYS, and it is one of ways to achieve compliance. Anyway, would covering the gas port on the barrel cause over presure issues? Sometimes it is very difficult to extract the spent casing, and brass casings, in general, are easier to extract than steel casing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So my AR is single shot (pull action). I did that by covering the gas port. Don't ask why as I live in NYS, and it is one of ways to achieve compliance. Anyway, would covering the gas port on the barrel cause over presure issues? Sometimes it is very difficult to extract the spent casing, and brass casings, in general, are easier to extract than steel casing.
View Quote
Not overpressure due to blocking the gas port. That's because ARs have no primary extraction. .223 instead of 5.56 ammo should be easier. A longer cam should let you pull faster before it unlocks and yanks on the case. Look at UK rifles.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:15:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Primary extraction, Can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:40:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Primary extraction, Can you elaborate?
View Quote

Primary Extraction: A Blokesplainage With M1, Kar98k, Lee-Enfield No.4 and K31
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Yeah. I think that's what my problem is. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top