Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2020 4:39:39 PM EDT
This may be a stupid question and maybe I'm overthinking it. I understand that there is all kinds of ways to zero  eg: 25 yard zero, 50-200 yard zero, 100 yard zero,  etc... Not really discussing which way is best but more about determining how to measure tha actual distance. Is the distance determined from the end of the barrel or is it from the shooters position. I do realize this is only a difference of maybe a foot or two depending on barrel length such as a handgun or a rifle. I'm guessing that it is probably not a big deal but was just curious.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This may be a stupid question and maybe I'm overthinking it. I understand that there is all kinds of ways to zero  eg: 25 yard zero, 50-200 yard zero, 100 yard zero,  etc... Not really discussing which way is best but more about determining how to measure tha actual distance. Is the distance determined from the end of the barrel or is it from the shooters position. I do realize this is only a difference of maybe a foot or two depending on barrel length such as a handgun or a rifle. I'm guessing that it is probably not a big deal but was just curious.
View Quote
Not going to matter
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Exterior ballistics begin when the bullet exits the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Muzzle crown.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not going to matter unless you plan to shoot the exact same ammo every time. Even differences in ammo will change your POI at distance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Exterior ballistics begin when the bullet exits the barrel.
View Quote
Yes, but even round to round variance of match grade ammo will make up for muzzle vs end of bench.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps OP is forgetting about the length of the bullet.  A longer bullet which is seated further out in the case creating a greater overall length will be closer to the target than a round of a shorter overall length.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Based on the responses, I was obviously overthinking this and wont worry about it. Thank you for the replies...
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Neither.  It doesn't matter.  It's not that much of an exact science.

Your rifle / load / environmental combination is going to determine that.  If you really want to know where your rifle shoots to the gnat's ass, you have to shoot it at varying ranges and conditions, record it all, and get enough data to make that determination.  If you're splitting hairs, using data off of a box or the manufacturer's website isn't going to be 100% accurate.

Just do it from the shooter's position.  Yes, exterior ballistics start as the bullet exits the muzzle, but you'll probably never be able to tell the difference which you choose to reference.

Yes, you're overthinking it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting question, but I think not really significant. Don't forget about wind variances, air temperature changes, and the rotation of the earth.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Zeroing to an artificial, standard distance will produce more uncertainty and error than will the difference between measuring from your face to the target vs. muzzle to the target.

FLAME SUIT ACTIVATED.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top