Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/19/2020 11:42:26 AM EDT
Just finished milling out my first two 80% AR15 receivers. They are 7075-T6 aluminum and already anodized.

Question is, what should I do with the now exposed bare metal before building?  I know aluminum builds up a protective oxidation layer almost immediately, but that doesn't address any hardening issues.

Surfaces came out smooth and seem to be in spec per my measurements.

I have a few bottles of Birchwood Casey aluminum black touch up, but I think that's only cosmetic.

Thoughts, or am I over thinking it?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you using a drop-in trigger or standard trigger?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#2]
So far, only standard.

Really just getting into building and customizing now.  I had one of those "I really should have gotten into this years ago" moments back in January.  I'll get to the higher end stuff once I have a little more experience under my belt.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I obsessed a bit over this, then decided that I would just leave it.
No good reason why not. You hardly ever see it, and when you do, it's nicely finished.
The natural oxide layer is pretty good protection.

If you are going to worry about it, spend less money on unfinished receivers, then send the completed thing off for anodizing when you are finished.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't worry about it.  The amount of wear the inside of a receiver gets is pretty small.  Tens of thousands of people are running lowers with unfinished insides and I've never heard of it being an issue.  If you don't like the cosmetics then the alumablack is fine.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
All that makes sense, thank you. I figured I was overthinking it but wanted to confirm.

I think I'm going to touch up around the drilled holes with the bluing and call it good.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PhilipPeake:
I obsessed a bit over this, then decided that I would just leave it.
No good reason why not. You hardly ever see it, and when you do, it's nicely finished.
The natural oxide layer is pretty good protection.

If you are going to worry about it, spend less money on unfinished receivers, then send the completed thing off for anodizing when you are finished.
View Quote
Most places that do anodizing won't take it unless it has been serialized, because they are FFL's and are required to log the gun in/out when they receive it and are done with it.

As for OP, don't worry about it.  If feel you must absolutely do something, pick up some AlumaHyde from Brownells and paint over it.  That's what I do and it has worked out great.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

You can’t blue aluminum, pick up a bottle of Flat Black model paint and a tiny foam brush.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
Originally Posted By mbg0001:
All that makes sense, thank you. I figured I was overthinking it but wanted to confirm. 

I think I'm going to touch up around the drilled holes with the bluing and call it good.

You can’t blue aluminum, pick up a bottle of Flat Black model paint and a tiny foam brush.

Was typing off my phone.  I meant this stuff.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Most places that do anodizing won't take it unless it has been serialized, because they are FFL's and are required to log the gun in/out when they receive it and are done with it.
View Quote
They must just not want the work, since it’s completely fine to log a gun in/out of A&D with no serial number.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Was typing off my phone.  I meant this stuff.

https://cdn3.volusion.com/sycrv.ebdas/v/vspfiles/photos/BC15125-2.jpg
View Quote
If you're using that stuff, apply it immediately after machining the aluminum. Then it'll do a good job.

(It also blackens steel.)
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#12]
It's cosmetic, but you can do alumahyde/cerakote/gunkote/durakote/etc to cover...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#13]
If you start w/ raw aluminum I've seen some cool youtubes on "how to anodize" at home for things like knife scales, etc.   After that it is just a matter of size scale...

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By eye-gor:
If you start w/ raw aluminum I've seen some cool youtubes on "how to anodize" at home for things like knife scales, etc.   After that it is just a matter of size scale... 

View Quote

I'll confess to have gone down that YouTube rabbit hole.  For better or worse, I don't have the shop space for that!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
They must just not want the work, since it’s completely fine to log a gun in/out of A&D with no serial number. 
View Quote

Yeah, that's what I've understood too.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/atf-form-4473-required-when-gunsmith-returns-repaired-firearm
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you're using that stuff, apply it immediately after machining the aluminum. Then it'll do a good job.

(It also blackens steel.)
View Quote

Or just degrease and heat up the metal, and apply. 2-3 coats for a really dark appearance.... If you've already machined the piece b4 you decided the raw look was annoying.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By eye-gor:
If you start w/ raw aluminum I've seen some cool youtubes on "how to anodize" at home for things like knife scales, etc.   After that it is just a matter of size scale... 

View Quote

Most home anodizing jobs are not milspec type 3 hardcoat, they are a lower grade for cosmetic purposes. That being said..if a surface treatment must be relied on for structural integrity than that is a sign of poor material selection imo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Veprz:

Most home anodizing jobs are not milspec type 3 hardcoat, they are a lower grade for cosmetic purposes. That being said..if a surface treatment must be relied on for structural integrity than that is a sign of poor material selection imo.
View Quote

You know y'all are sending me down the metallurgy rabbit hole, don't you?

Not that I'm complaining.

My wallet might, but I'm not.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#19]
We should sticky this thread, we do this often.

Just leave it alone. No harm will come to your 80% if you leave it as is after milling it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We should sticky this thread, we do this often.

Just leave it alone. No harm will come to your 80% if you leave it as is after milling it.
View Quote

Thank you.  I have anodized 80% lowers, so I'm mostly concerned if I should finish the pocket after machining, or just leave it raw inside.

Now if my 5D jig will finally come.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top