Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2020 1:45:03 PM EDT
Need to order a barrel. Question...... If I need a 16 inch barrel , Does the industry sale their barrels 14.5 inches long ( barrels I see for sale have no flash hinder on them , just threaded at the end  ) and then when you add your flash hinder or what ever to the end that is your total barrel length ?
I am thinking that what it is ? First After market barrel I have ever ordered. Thanks. MD
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Wrong section
Mods need to move. But you have to pin/weld it silver solder a flash hider on a 14.5 to get to 16 overall length. 14.5 without pinned and weld flash hider is an NFA SBR item. If you wish to not permanently attach a muzzle device you need to purchase a 16 inch or longer barrel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
When you measure a barrel on an AR, you send the bolt home and drop a dowel rod down the barrel so that it hits the bolt face.  You mark the spot where the end of the barrel (with no muzzle device) is, then pull the dowel out and measure - that's the barrel's le gtg as the ATF determines it. Screwing a flash hider or muzzle break doesn't count unless it is permanently affixed (loctite/rocksett doesn't count) - it would have to be pin / welded on in a manner the ATF seems acceptable.  If a flash hider is permanently affixed, then you can include it when measuring barrel length for legality purposes.

Good article here link

Edit:. Also an A2 flash hider is a little less than. 1.5 inches, so if you put one on a 14.5 you'd still be too short.  A2s usually go on 14.7 and there are extended A2 flash hiders that usually go on 14.5.  Obviously a bunch of other types out there, check their length before you get it installed permanently lol.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wrong section
Mods need to move. But you have to pin/weld it silver solder a flash hider on a 14.5 to get to 16 overall length. 14.5 without pinned and weld flash hider is an NFA SBR item. If you wish to not permanently attach a muzzle device you need to purchase a 16 inch or longer barrel.
View Quote

I think this is the perfect section OP
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]
So if i buy a barrel that shows a picture and specs of a length of 16.0 inches long , has threads on the end for me to screw on a flash hinder or even a brake. It threads say it fits a 1/2 x 28 device. So i can assume that the barrels i buy lets say from RockRiver Arms , Bear Creek , Palmetto Arms etc will end up 16 inches long plus a little longer after i screw on my own $10.00 flash hinder from the old barrel. I am going to use old gas tube and gas block from old gun. just a barrel swap. Sorry I should have worded my question a little different. Marty
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So if i buy a barrel that shows a picture and specs of a length of 16.0 inches long , has threads on the end for me to screw on a flash hinder or even a brake. It threads say it fits a 1/2 x 28 device. So i can assume that the barrels i buy lets say from RockRiver Arms , Bear Creek , Palmetto Arms etc will end up 16 inches long plus a little longer after i screw on my own $10.00 flash hinder from the old barrel. I am going to use old gas tube and gas block from old gun. just a barrel swap. Sorry I should have worded my question a little different. Marty
View Quote

Yes, the barrel will probably actually measure 16.1” or 16.2” rather than 16” exactly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Spunknit ...... I re- worded my response question while you were replying ..... I am going to use old gas tube and gas block from old gun. just a barrel swap. I measure my old Anderson Brand barrel and it is 14.5 long after I UNSCREW FLASH HINDER. So if i want the same length of barrel and use old flash hinder i need to be ordering a 14 1/2 inch barrel that has the thread on the very end of it ? Sorry I should have worded my original question a little different. Marty
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am going to use old gas tube and gas block from old gun.
View Quote

I'd have a new gas block and tube on hand just in case.... current could be pinned, etc.

Also depending on your finances and reason for replacing barrel I'd consider building a new upper and have the 2 to pick from...
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#8]
It seems like you should have your answer but...

A 16" barrel usually measures 16.125" or longer from the bolt face to the muzzle.

A USGI spec 14.5" barrel measures 14.625"

Barrel threads are usually about .625" long.

So if you have a 2.250" long muzzle device pinned to a 14.5" barrel it is 14.625" + 2.250" - .625" = 16.250" total length.

Rail length is slightly off from barrel length.

If you want to figure out the max rail length for a barrel you take 14.625" (barrel length) -. 625" (thread length) - .175“ = 13.825" length from front face of the upper receiver.

If you want to figure out the minimum barrel length for a rail you take 13.500“ (actual measured rail length) + .625" (thread length) + .175" = 14.300".

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A USGI spec 14.5" barrel measures 14.625"

Barrel threads are usually about .625" long.

So if you have a 2.250" long muzzle device pinned to a 14.5" barrel it is 14.625" + 2.250" - .625" = 16.250" total length.

If you want to figure out the max rail length for a barrel you take 14.625" (barrel length) -. 625" (thread length) - .175“ = 13.825" length from front face of the upper receiver.

If you want to figure out the minimum barrel length for a rail you take 13.500“ (actual measured rail length) + .625" (thread length) + .175" = 14.300".

View Quote

Great info to keep handy, thank you. I put together a similar formula for figuring out OAL of a barrel after pinning a muzzle device. (BL+MD)-.625= OAL BL-Barrel length, MD-Length of muzzle device, the .625 is for the threads. Helped me keep mine close to 16" as possible.

@ OP, hope your question been sufficiently answered, just ask if you have anything else you're unsure of. Better to double-check than end up with legal troubles

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top