Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2020 9:36:04 PM EDT
Just purchased an upper from DSA that comes with the M4 RAS forend and the standard three 11-rib panels

My question is this:

I have a KAC vertical fore grip and would like to mount it, but don't know what panels I need on the underside of the hand guard to fill the remainder of the space, in front of and behind the VFG.  For instance, do I need one 2-rib and one 6-rib or some other type of combo?  

I wanted to run the three included 11-rib panels on the top and sides, and want a consistent look on the bottom of the hand guard, once the VFG is mounted. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be a two rib and a four rib. Most people leave the top bare for heat dissipation reasons.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should be a two rib and a four rib. Most people leave the top bare for heat dissipation reasons.
View Quote

What he said.

Eta: 6 rib works as well:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What he said.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

THANK YOU gentlemen! Two great answers (and options) for me. That's what makes this board so great .....

Mike
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Mike,

Shooters preference.  After putting them on for the first time back in the late 90s, all ribs made the forearm too fat for me.  25 yrs of running no panels.  Do use soft rubber ladders on the ribs however.

CD
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Leave the top uncovered.. Kac panels are a pain to put in&off once you have buis and scope.. the HG needs to be uninstalled.
Use ladder rail covers instead.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mike,

Shooters preference.  After putting them on for the first time back in the late 90s, all ribs made the forearm too fat for me.  25 yrs of running no panels.  Do use soft rubber ladders on the ribs however.

CD
View Quote

This, they make the handguard fat.  I just skip the covers altogether.  Maybe throw a few Larue Index clips where your hand makes the most contact with the handguard.

Up to you what’s most comfortable for your use.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
4 rib and 2 rib

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mike,

CD
View Quote

I found the same thing in the early 2000s as CD.  Too fat.  I went without and probably would have liked the ladder but never tried them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I found the same thing in the early 2000s as CD.  Too fat.  I went without and probably would have liked the ladder but never tried them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mike,

CD

Agreed.

Bottom covers are all that I run. Handguard OD is too much with covers on 3 sides.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Update:

I tried the 4 rib, 2 rib, & VFG, but could never get it to fit Just not quite enough rail for both rib covers to "click" in place (i.e. both clips facing away from center of rail).

2 rib, 2 rib, & VFG obviously works, but I'm curious how everyone got the other combo to work? Did you guys trim a little off the end of a cover OR did you shave down the edge of the VFG a bit?
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Update:

I tried the 4 rib, 2 rib, & VFG, but could never get it to fit Just not quite enough rail for both rib covers to "click" in place (i.e. both clips facing away from center of rail).

2 rib, 2 rib, & VFG obviously works, but I'm curious how everyone got the other combo to work? Did you guys trim a little off the end of a cover OR did you shave down the edge of the VFG a bit?
View Quote

I shave the 4 rib panel down a little to fit.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Agreed.

Bottom covers are all that I run. Handguard OD is too much with covers on 3 sides.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mike,

CD

Agreed.

Agreed about the OD, except I prefer running covers on only the side that rubs the body when slung, no bottom even with the VFG. Definitely personal preference.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Update:

View Quote

I shaved off the edge of the VFG itself. But this was years ago when you could hardly give these things away. I would modify the rail cover first nowadays. Forgot I even did that until you mentioned your experience.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 1:22:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Do use soft rubber ladders on the ribs however
View Quote

I was at a gun show and somebody passed by real fast , I couldn't stop them to ask about what looked to be "rubber ladder like inserts" for the rails, later on that day my neighbor ended up buying the upper off this guys rifle and they were some type of snap on rubber inserts on a Troy rail. Who sells these, if I had a picture I'd post one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 2:36:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Magpul (Ergo)

Pick the color you want and trim to desired length with a knife, Exacto Knife or razor blade.

Ladder Rail Covers
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just purchased an upper from DSA that comes with the M4 RAS forend and the standard three 11-rib panels

My question is this:

I have a KAC vertical fore grip and would like to mount it, but don't know what panels I need on the underside of the hand guard to fill the remainder of the space, in front of and behind the VFG.  For instance, do I need one 2-rib and one 6-rib or some other type of combo?  

I wanted to run the three included 11-rib panels on the top and sides, and want a consistent look on the bottom of the hand guard, once the VFG is mounted. Thanks.
View Quote

OP, I do not discount any of the good advice you’ve been given above regarding not needing to run any rail covers at all, or not running the top rail cover for heat dissipation, etc. But, going back to your original question and your original desired look, unless you are firing on full auto, doing mag dumps, or long, extended strings  of fire, I don’t think you really need to worry all that much about leaving the top rail off for heat dissipation. I know that you can see that you have holes on your quad that allow heat to escape in all directions, even with the covers on.

Regarding the overall circumference being too large with all rails on, that’s never bothered me. I wouldn’t consider that I have large hands, either. I’m just a medium size guy. 6’0”, 165 lbs.  Since I am using the VFG with my support hand, I don’t have to wrap my hand around the entire hand guard/rail.  I use the C clamp method; hold the VFG with four fingers, and let my thumb ride on the top rail to help with the minimal recoil of an AR 15.

If that is still the set up you were interested in, here are a few pictures.  With a single 6 rib panel, you can have your VFG all the way forward, or all the way to the rear, that’s up to you. And you would not need to shave anything off the VFG or the 6 rib panel to accomplish this.

I believe we both have the exact same upper, so I hope this helps.  (I also sent you a direct link to a reputable company that sells the ladder rail covers, if you decide that’s the route you’d like to go)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Panels def make it harder to grip. Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top