Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 3:07:35 PM EDT
So I'm building an AR Pistol with a 14" Ballistic Advantage Hanson Barrel (with the included pinned lo-profile gas block and carbine gas system), HERA USA Linear Compensator, SLR Rifleworks enhanced BCG, and am utilizing the SBA3 brace and included buffer tube. I'm torn between getting a KAW Valley precision H2 buffer (4.3-4.6 ounces) or an H3 buffer (5.4 ounces) and their AR15 carbine spring. I plan on suppressing this build once my YHM Turbo gets out of NFA jail, but in the mean time am using the HERA Linear Comp. My question is: does anyone with relatable experience or applicable knowledge know if the linear comp with my gas system situation benefit from the H3 (5.4 ounce) buffer while I'm using the linear comp AND when it will be running the suppressor? Or would it be better to go with the H2 for both situations?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm building an AR Pistol with a 14" Ballistic Advantage Hanson Barrel (with the included pinned lo-profile gas block and carbine gas system), HERA USA Linear Compensator, SLR Rifleworks enhanced BCG, and am utilizing the SBA3 brace and included buffer tube. I'm torn between getting a KAW Valley precision H2 buffer (4.3-4.6 ounces) or an H3 buffer (5.4 ounces) and their AR15 carbine spring. I plan on suppressing this build once my YHM Turbo gets out of NFA jail, but in the mean time am using the HERA Linear Comp. My question is: does anyone with relatable experience or applicable knowledge know if the linear comp with my gas system situation benefit from the H3 (5.4 ounce) buffer while I'm using the linear comp AND when it will be running the suppressor? Or would it be better to go with the H2 for both situations?

Thanks in advance for your help.
View Quote
I have the small Hera LC on a 11.5, I run it with a H buffer and it works well, hadn't seen a need to go to a H2.  Using a can is another story so be expected to use a H2 or 3 if you don't have adjustable gas.  The Hera which gets no love seems to work really well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I use an Odin Works "Heavy" Adjustable Buffer. It's probably more expensive than buying a few different weight standard buffers, but I like being able to "tune" 1 thing, vs having a box of stuff. I'll say this: even with my "not a ton of back-pressure" Rugged Razor - I'm at a Sprinco 'Orange' Spring, the Sup Arms AGB 37 clicks out, and the OOdin Works Buffer at Max weight - Cans change things massively. And according to a Dead Air Decibel chart, the SA AGB at 29 clicks out, offers the best compromise between port and muzzle numbers. I'm going to add a Tungsten weight, and swap a Steel for Aluminum to try and reach that - which means the Buffer will be even heavier than the Odin's max supplied. This is "picky city" but I like playing around and learning.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you guys think I can get away with using the Kaw Valley Precision H3 buffet (5.4 Oz) with both the suppressor when i get my stamp back AND the linear comp without issues? I think the H3 would work fine when it’s suppressed and probably benefit my recoil and action but I’m worried about how it would cycle with just the linear comp. Should I just stick with an H2 to use for both situations? I understand suppressors change things considerably and I might have to adjust when i get it but I’m hoping to have one buffer that works in both scenarios.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the H3, if it does not work change 1 weight out with regular buffer and you have a H2.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the H3, if it does not work change 1 weight out with regular buffer and you have a H2.
View Quote

I’ve never messed with a buffer before: you can easily remove one of the tungsten weights?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've never messed with a buffer before: you can easily remove one of the tungsten weights?
View Quote
99 out 100 times, yes no issue and easy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
99 out 100 times, yes no issue and easy.
View Quote

hmmmm. good to know! thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’ve never messed with a buffer before: you can easily remove one of the tungsten weights?
View Quote

Clamp it in a vice with non-marring jaw inserts, get a punch that *just* fits the retention hole (roll pin is hollow), and tap it out. Adjust weights, re-assemble with rubber spacers in the same positions, put plug back in, aligning all holes, tap roll pin back in - take care to keep it perfectly vertical when tapping. Probs took longer to type this, than do it

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Clamp it in a vice with non-marring jaw inserts, get a punch that *just* fits the retention hole (roll pin is hollow), and tap it out. Adjust weights, re-assemble with rubber spacers in the same positions, put plug back in, aligning all holes, tap roll pin back in - take care to keep it perfectly vertical when tapping. Probs took longer to type this, than do it

Good luck!
View Quote

fantastic! thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top