Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2022 1:51:19 PM EDT

I'm a typical/civilian user that wants to put back some 5.56 mm (or possibly .223, depending) for self-defense /
home-defense purposes.  And yeah-- I've already done some searching around (here, YouTube, etc.) and seen many
comparisons, tests, product reviews, opinions, allegations, recriminations, etc., etc.

Also-- old options become unavailable/expensive/go out of stock; and newer/better options come along...
so before dropping my $$$'s, just wanted to ask the experts here & see if there's anything I may have
missed.  Top defensive ammo possibilities I'm looking at now:

Speer Gold-Dot GDSP 55 gr .223  (? "#1 choice for law enforcement" ?)
    IMI 5.56mm 77 Grain SMK OTM LR MOD-1 Razorcore   (Mk262 clone)
    Black Hills 5.56mm NATO 50 / 62 Grain Barnes TSX Hollow Point  (*seems a bit expensive/hard to find)
    Hornady Critical Defense FTX 55 gr  .223

Any problems with these?  Anything else I should consider, that's actually available to civilian shooters?
(ideally I'd like it no more than $1-$1.50/rd max).  Also, I never anticipate doing any sort of competitive shooting, so
grinding out another .25 MOA of accuracy isn't relevant to my needs ('minute of man').

Thanks in advance for your input,

SD

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Check Target Sport USA, SGAmmo and Bonefrog

Example:
Fed Tac bonded
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Federal Fusion is a good round. Bonded soft point

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/223-remington/Federal-rifle-62grains

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
What size AR?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What size AR?
View Quote

I'd prefer buying something for "general" use -- so nice if it maintains good
terminal performance out of a short barrel (~10.5").

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:25:06 AM EDT
[#6]
All of the aforementioned are quality loadings. We can argue in circles over shades of devastating, but in bottom-line terms all of those bullets are going to have serious effect on target at justifiable HD distances.

I have 77gr TMK loaded to 5.56 pressure in my HD rifle and 62gr TBBC in case of communist Russian zombie invasion where barrier performance could be a factor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
"We can argue in circles over shades of devastating, but in bottom-line terms all of those bullets
are going to have serious effect on target at justifiable HD distances..."
View Quote

That's pretty much been my conclusion as well, after looking at 5.56 ammo at different times
over the years.  Even the plain vanilla 55 gr ball ammo is devastatingly effective,
when fired out of barrels allowing sufficient velocity.  [granted, police/HD use can
have requirements that are generally of little concern to the military, e.g., over-penetration]

From what media reports are openly available, the IMI Mk262 variant ("Razorcore") is being used
by Israeli military/police units, to good effect; I'm not sure how common this type of round is
with police in the USA.

And of course for civilian use, there's the option of soft-point bullets intentionally designed for
expansion on impact (e.g., Speer option listed above).

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Any of your choices are fine. As others have said, we can argue in circles over the minutia of differences between .223 and 5.56 loads and never reach a consensus.

Personally I have 62gr. Federal Fusion in my ready gear, backed up with M193. I'm not willing to spend $1-$2 a round to buy "better" ammunition when what I already have is adequate. Unless I run across a smoking deal on some of the premium stuff, my next 5.56 purchase will just be quality M193.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#9]
IMI MK262 is legit. Plenty accurate, and affordable. No reason you shouldn't be stacking deep. My LGS has 5.56 BH 62 TSX. I picked up 400 rounds of it to try out. In the end I stuck with 77g IMI in my 14.5/16". I also have a completely different loadout. A 20" that I use M193 in. Super fun to shoot, and extremely effective against soft targets.

edit: You might look into graindhardammo. They have a 62g controlled chaos round that i've seen absolutely demolish pigs. I'm talking DRT w/ decent shot placement. I believe it is 700 ish for 500 rounds.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top