Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2022 7:55:52 AM EDT
Considering getting a Colt Sporter Match HBAR 20" Rifle. This is one of the ones with the sear block, half-moon carrier, large diameter trigger pins, screw front pivot pin, and no bayonet lug. It'd be nice to have an A2-type shooter, as these days I usually run 20" rifles. Never owned a Colt from this specific era, though. Despite the unpleasantness of the neutering, how do these stack up in terms of Reliability/Durability/Quality? I know Colt had some bolt issues in the early 2000s and at various times last century with labor strikes and such. If my research is correct, these were made from 1989-1994.

Yes it's somewhat of a collector piece but it wouldn't just be a safe queen, it would be run.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#1]
That is what I (used to) shoot in CMP Matches. It's been rebarreled with a Compass Lake 1-8 Wylde, my model did have a bayonet lug front sight IIRC, but the front sight has been replaced with a match FSB. Standard FH. Forend weights, etc. It's a safe queen these days because who the hell can afford all the ammo to practice before a match?

Still using the orginal BCG, it has an A1 buttstock. Shoots better than I'm capable...

No issues. Great gun.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No issues. Great gun.
View Quote

Proven many times over.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Any other thoughts? Sounds like it’d be a solid rifle.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is what I (used to) shoot in CMP Matches. It's been rebarreled with a Compass Lake 1-8 Wylde, my model did have a bayonet lug front sight IIRC, but the front sight has been replaced with a match FSB. Standard FH. Forend weights, etc. It's a safe queen these days because who the hell can afford all the ammo to practice before a match?

Still using the orginal BCG, it has an A1 buttstock. Shoots better than I'm capable...

No issues. Great gun.
View Quote

I know it’s probably difficult to say, but do you have any kind of conservative estimate on how many rounds you have through it?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Circa 1998, I had a novice friend put his first 5 rounds of 55gr fmj-bt into the bullseye at 100m. The Sporter HBAR was equipped with a Trijicon ACOG TA01.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The "neutering" is annoying, but should have zero effect on the quality or reliability of the gun. FSB, bayonet lug, etc aren't really relevant on that gun. If the BCG bothers you, you can swap another one in there in like 20 seconds. If it fits your want/needs then there ya go.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Competition Heavy Barrel with removable carry handle.   Mine had a plain muzzle, no bayonet lug and A-2 fixed stock.   The trigger in mine was really bad so I switched it out with a large pin RRA NM.   Mine had the screw instead of push front take down pin.   My H-Bar is a CMV 1:9 twist but really a good shooter.   My FIL (tool & die maker) threaded my barrel and I added an A-2 flash hider.   My Colt came with two nine round magazines and I bought mine around 1997.

I’ve been around a couple of the Colt sporter rifles and they had accurate barrels even though the neutered AWB requirements were an aggravation.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If the BCG bothers you, you can swap another one in there in like 20 seconds. If it fits your want/needs then there ya go.
View Quote

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to since these older Colts had a pinned in sear block preventing a standard M16-type full weight carrier from being inserted. Annoying, yes, but as long as it wouldn't affect reliability or durability, not really a deal breaker. People love LMTs and generally those ship with semi auto carriers that many don't bother changing out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#9]
There are archived threads about removing the sear block.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to since these older Colts had a pinned in sear block preventing a standard M16-type full weight carrier from being inserted. Annoying, yes, but as long as it wouldn't affect reliability or durability, not really a deal breaker. People love LMTs and generally those ship with semi auto carriers that many don't bother changing out.
View Quote

Have a machine shop mill the block.

I run LMT SA carriers in 2 guns, zero issues, FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

If there's no reliability or durability issues as a result of the sear block/semi carrier (which it seems there is not unless I haven't been able to find info on that), I'd likely just leave it the way it is. Trigger pins are englarged as well but I actually like a mil spec trigger.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If there's no reliability or durability issues as a result of the sear block/semi carrier (which it seems there is not unless I haven't been able to find info on that), I'd likely just leave it the way it is. Trigger pins are englarged as well but I actually like a mil spec trigger.
View Quote

It's a solid setup.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s easy enough to shave down the sear block yourself, I’ve done it twice. Then I just ended up carefully removing them completely from the lower receivers so i could use Geissele Hi-speed national match triggers.
The problem i have with the Colt half moon carriers is the firing pin is unshrouded which causes the retaining pin to bend, i never liked the idea of the firing pin resettling the trigger. Midway just had Colt bolt carriers on sale for $68 each.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The problem i have with the Colt half moon carriers is the firing pin is unshrouded which causes the retaining pin to bend, i never liked the idea of the firing pin resettling the trigger. Midway just had Colt bolt carriers on sale for $68 each.
View Quote

This is the kind of info I was looking for. So if I shoot it enough the firing pin retaining pin will bend? I didn't know the firing pin is what resets the trigger, that does seem kinda janky.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It’s easy enough to shave down the sear block yourself, I’ve done it twice. Then I just ended up carefully removing them completely from the lower receivers so i could use Geissele Hi-speed national match triggers.
View Quote

Yeah, they can be hard on retainer pins. Definitely something to check at each cleaning. I wouldn't let it steer me away personally.

As for the DIY sear block removal....not on my bucket list.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, they can be hard on retainer pins. Definitely something to check at each cleaning. I wouldn't let it steer me away personally.

View Quote

Any idea about how often a retaining pin should be replaced for PM?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

My retaining pin bent at just over 1k rds were it was a pain in the ass to insert.

Edit- when I was using the Colt half moon carrier. I’ll dig up some picks of the sear block removed
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tear down my BCGs and inspect components at each cleaning. Personal preference.  

0011-2 in the TM outlines the inspection points/details. As for a set schedule, I cannot say. There may not even be one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#19]
SP1 carriers have the same unshrouding as the half-moons, correct? My retaining pin hasn't bent. At least 6k rounds.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#20]
My H-Barrel has the semi auto bolt carrier and the firing pin is not exposed.  A Friend bought a Colt H-Bar upper and carry handle and his semi auto carrier with no exposed firing pin.   A customer wanted my Friend to install an adjustable trigger in his Colt and it had the exposed firing pin in a semi auto bolt carrier.    Some after market hammers would snag on the exposed firing pin.  The trigger my Friend tried to use would not work without modifying the hammer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I know it’s probably difficult to say, but do you have any kind of conservative estimate on how many rounds you have through it?
View Quote

I would guess several thousand on the BCG and FCG, original barrel probably ~3000 rounds, new CLE barrel I put on has less than 2000.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine has been very reliable and accurate.  I had the sear block removed to use other uppers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#23]
While I am sure that none of the components Colt used were made from cheese but rather proper aluminum and steel, I don't see any reason to buy one of those.  

If you want an M16A2 clone, then get an M16A2 clone.  You can build or buy one without too much difficulty.  RRA has complete rifles or uppers available, as does Fulton Armory.  You could also build your own lower and purchase a Capco surplus upper.  Lots of options.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
While I am sure that none of the components Colt used were made from cheese but rather proper aluminum and steel, I don't see any reason to buy one of those.  

If you want an M16A2 clone, then get an M16A2 clone.  You can build or buy one without too much difficulty.  RRA has complete rifles or uppers available, as does Fulton Armory.  You could also build your own lower and purchase a Capco surplus upper.  Lots of options.
View Quote

I'm not able to find any surplus A2 uppers. I have an A4 but that was when they were being surplussed off. I like that this Colt is a complete factory rifle, from the factory that made A2s, but I don't like the idea of it bending firing pin retainer pins unless I have the sear block removed and get a different Bolt Carrier.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#26]
How would the retainer bend without hammer follow?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 4:08:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I still have mine, along with a low serial number ACOG.

Never noticed anything awesome about its accuracy, but the finish looks much better than typical other brands.

The large pins are a pain.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Never noticed anything awesome about its accuracy, but the finish looks much better than typical other brands.

The large pins are a pain
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The large pins are a pain

Not that much. There are are a number of non-factory options.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

TO THE POSTER FOR NO PICS.....  
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#31]
It's a quality firearm, with little to no value as a collector's item IMO.

Depending on price, a low to moderate price, I would buy one used. You can build a brand-new rifle with a premium barrel nowadays for not much money. I personally dislike A2 length stocks, so that would have to go.

Colt's neutering of their AR platform in the 1990's, some of it voluntarily, displeased their potential customers and opened the door to manufacturers that wouldn't try to placate the anti-gun crowd. After 1994 everyone had to make politician approved models for 10 years. Colt started ahead of the ban.

The block in the receiver really limits trigger upgrades. Jewel used to be the only one available that would clear the block and had large pins. If other manufacturers make one now, I do not know.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's a quality firearm, with little to no value as a collector's item IMO.

Depending on price, a low to moderate price, I would buy one used. You can build a brand-new rifle with a premium barrel nowadays for not much money. I personally dislike A2 length stocks, so that would have to go.

Colt's neutering of their AR platform in the 1990's, some of it voluntarily, displeased their potential customers and opened the door to manufacturers that wouldn't try to placate the anti-gun crowd. After 1994 everyone had to make politician approved models for 10 years. Colt started ahead of the ban.

The block in the receiver really limits trigger upgrades. Jewel used to be the only one available that would clear the block and had large pins. If other manufacturers make one now, I do not know.
View Quote

Only reason I’m iffy on it is because I’d shoot it a lot and I don’t like the idea of the firing pin retainer bending and needing to be replaced every thousand or so rounds.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top