Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2018 2:54:38 PM EDT
I have an mlok larue handguard and want to put a magpul qd sling mount on it. I wasn’t sure the best place for this.

It’s for my 3-gun rifle. I didn’t know if you put it on the inside or outside as well as more towards the muzzle or receiver end.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't shoot 3 gun, but I mounted mine on the left side close to the receiver.  Further out put the sling in my way doing reloads.   The extra slack available allows for switching shoulders, and the sling isn't in my way to grip the handguard ever.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I like to put my front sling swivel on the 9 o'clock side of my rail as close as I can possibly get it to the receiver.

Having the sling near the end of the barrel creates that big loop with your sling that gets in the way for me.

Edit: I see that the other guy said the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like to put my front sling swivel on the 9 o'clock side of my rail as close as I can possibly get it to the receiver.

Having the sling near the end of the barrel creates that big loop with your sling that gets in the way for me.

Edit: I see that the other guy said the exact same thing.
View Quote
I used to do what y'all two mentioned but now I put them as far forward as I can withou interfering with my vfg and light, so about halfway. I've been using Vickers 2point slings for years(I've had one for almost 10 years now actually).
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I like it close ro the barrel nut as possible.

@ScoutH57

What made you start running it further forward?
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like it close ro the barrel nut as possible.

@ScoutH57

What made you start running it further forward?
View Quote
Easier for me to actually use it to brace in awkward shooting positions, keeps it out of the way of my bolt release etc.. and mostly it seems to keep the rifle controlled better when slung if you have it out towards the muzzle as much as practical.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Easier for me to actually use it to brace in awkward shooting positions, keeps it out of the way of my bolt release etc.. and mostly it seems to keep the rifle controlled better when slung if you have it out towards the muzzle as much as practical.
View Quote
Pretty much of this camp here. I've tried a variety of ways and it works for me getting it out away from the body. (Frankly, a sling attach point is one of the last things I want up around my torso & kit.) But I think it also comes down to what it is we're trying to do, and everyone's needs are different. I don't relish reconfig due to seasonal changes, e.g., more layers, so I might be running more sling in reserve than some. While I don't shoot 3-gun (although I like to watch it), I've spent a fair amount of time "in the woods" & want my sling to also be conducive to the admin carries and, well, things that a sling was meant to do. So it's all a personal thing.

My suggestion to OP would be to just run the gamut & see what works for you.  Just allow yourself a nice block of time - without low-overhead lights & ceiling fans - plop the damn thing down on the bed and nug through the various options to see what meets your need. You're not unusual if you think you're devoting a (seemingly) inordinate amount to something that actually gets pretty personalized, so just go for it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pretty much of this camp here. I've tried a variety of ways and it works for me getting it out away from the body. (Frankly, a sling attach point is one of the last things I want up around my torso & kit.) But I think it also comes down to what it is we're trying to do, and everyone's needs are different. I don't relish reconfig due to seasonal changes, e.g., more layers, so I might be running more sling in reserve than some. While I don't shoot 3-gun (although I like to watch it), I've spent a fair amount of time "in the woods" & want my sling to also be conducive to the admin carries and, well, things that a sling was meant to do. So it's all a personal thing.

My suggestion to OP would be to just run the gamut & see what works for you.  Just allow yourself a nice block of time - without low-overhead lights & ceiling fans - plop the damn thing down on the bed and nug through the various options to see what meets your need. You're not unusual if you think you're devoting a (seemingly) inordinate amount to something that actually gets pretty personalized, so just go for it.
View Quote
This is the best advice.   I have played guitar for years.  The same thing applies there and here.  Just because it works for someone else (even a famous it too tier person) doesn't mean it works for you.  Try it all and find YOUR perfect setup.  That's all that matters.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top