Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2023 10:23:50 PM EDT
I have an AR-15 with a built in QD attachment hole in the aluminum handguard, which is keymod. I can't see inside the handguard, but the QD hole doesn't appear to be reinforced or anything like that. I'm just wondering if anyone has had bad experiences with this kind of setup. The fear is that over time, or with abuse, the strap could bend or otherwise disform the handguard around the QD hole.

I'm inclined to think it's ok, since the handguard was designed like this, and it seems like most handguards these days have QD holes near where it meets the receiver.
Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Some handguards do have a reinforcing collar (Geissele is one) but I haven’t heard of issues with it being a problem unreinforced.

Especially if you are patrol carrying over your chest, muzzle down,  the weight would mostly be on the buttstock end anyway.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:13:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARgonot] [#2]
I've noticed that a lot of handguards (obviously constructed of aluminum) often have integrated machined QD sling sockets. I've often wondered if the sling's steel QD connectors could over time wear the aluminum sockets. I've also noticed that often the more expensive, if not over priced, aluminum handguards often have steel QD sling mounts inserted within them. GrovTech have several different threaded QD sling socket inserts that can be used for a relatively cheap price if you shop around. I've used them many times. If concerned, you can drill your handguard out, run a thread tap, screw these in using Loktite and rest assured they will not strip out.

I highly doubt that a sling socket near the muzzle end of a handguard will cause damage/warping of the handguard. If I'm wrong then I'd be open to see evidence to the contrary.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Just run and gun on the range with mine, but it's still doing good after 10 years of use.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The chances of you or anyone blowing-out an aluminum QD socket are slim. That said, it can happen.

This is an option if you desire steel reinforcement.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
Just run and gun on the range with mine, but it's still doing good after 10 years of use.
View Quote

I haven't had any problems with the Al hole blowing out either.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:
The chances of you or anyone blowing-out an aluminum QD socket are slim. That said, it can happen.

This is an option if you desire steel reinforcement.
View Quote

Thanks, just what I was looking for!
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 7:08:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#7]
You guys want to see a dead body?

This is the BCM made Cloud Defensive rail. This was after 5-7k rounds, and it got used a lot. It still holds unless the swivel is pulling straight out with a little oomph. I switched to a single point now since it’s an HD gun. You can see where it’s egged out and rolled at the back, likely from the extra tension from slinging up.

I also had a Samson Rail years ago that gave out entirely after about half the round count.

The external swivels hold up significantly better for some reason, even the aluminum ones. I keep a few in my spare parts bin just in case, but BCM and Expo have held up great. Also have a Rise Armament in rotation that hasn’t seen much use yet.

I think the new Geissele sockets would outlast me, I just prefer a front mount. Otherwise I don’t recommend internal sockets for hard/extended use anymore.

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I do know that if it pulls out and the muzzle is pointed at the top of your foot while in flip flops that you get a cool purple bruise about the size of an A2 FH.
That was with a PSA handguard.
I use a para clip for the front now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#9]
On my DDM4V7 the socket cut outs use a reinforced moveable collar. I don't think I've worn any out in any other guns but that's the first I'd seen a collar.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:37:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HunterKiller86] [#10]
An aluminum socket will eventually give out when used with steel QD swivels- its just how steel interacts with other materials.

The FCD socket is your absolute best bet IMO. I believe BCM and magpul make steel ones as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
You guys want to see a dead body?

https://i.ibb.co/6rD9fgY/55-A28-A1-C-4608-4-EB0-A587-3-EBE6-FF4-F11-E.jpg

This is the BCM made Cloud Defensive rail. This was after 5-7k rounds, and it got used a lot. It still holds unless the swivel is pulling straight out with a little oomph. I switched to a single point now since it’s an HD gun. You can see where it’s egged out and rolled at the back, likely from the extra tension from slinging up.

I also had a Samson Rail years ago that gave out entirely after about half the round count.

The external swivels hold up significantly better for some reason, even the aluminum ones. I keep a few in my spare parts bin just in case, but BCM and Expo have held up great. Also have a Rise Armament in rotation that hasn’t seen much use yet.

I think the new Geissele sockets would outlast me, I just prefer a front mount. Otherwise I don’t recommend internal sockets for hard/extended use anymore.
https://i.ibb.co/0MW5PvS/CC07-A1-BA-606-E-407-D-9-BC6-7493-FB73833-C.jpg
View Quote

On some of the Geissele rails, the QD socket is positioned so that you cannot use a standard QD sling swivel.  Kind of a disappointing lack of use testing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

On some of the Geissele rails, the QD socket is positioned so that you cannot use a standard QD sling swivel.  Kind of a disappointing lack of use testing.
View Quote

I believe this was only the old models where the socket was built in the rail. The new ones use the insert so it should be able to work no matter what.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

I believe this was only the old models where the socket was built in the rail. The new ones use the insert so it should be able to work no matter what.
View Quote

Here’s a newer G rail, with insert, not compatible with standard QD swivel. Magpul in this case.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 4:49:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#14]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

Here’s a newer G rail, with insert, not compatible with standard QD swivel. Magpul in this case.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64501/FFC57196-7EB3-44BA-9A3B-76B7B5F24556_jpe-2804383.JPG
View Quote

Ah. I’m not a fan of the Mk14 and Mk16 rails so that I didn’t know. I can confirm the Magpul sockets work with both the Mk4 and Mk8. I thought they said the sockets were the same but maybe not?

ETA: Never mind, I see what you mean. It runs into the rail. I’ve had a few stocks where I had to run it out of position due to the anti rotation and never had any real issues with. I do a lot of offhand shooting putting a lot of pressure on the sling too. I’d just run it horizontal if need be.

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:19:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#15]
[b]

The FCD socket is your absolute best bet IMO. I believe BCM and magpul make steel ones as well.
View Quote

BCM definitely has a steel mloc socket. I have one
Edit: I've never had a problem with aluminum sockets, but as much as I vary my guns I probably haven't given any particular one enough time to fail
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HunterKiller86:
An aluminum socket will eventually give out when used with steel QD swivels- it's just how steel interacts with other materials.
View Quote
Agreed. Over time the weaker metal will wear faster. For occasional use the aluminum sockets are fine. But for long term usage get a QD attachment.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:40:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I’ll add the FCD / SOLGW QD mount is the only way to go. I’ve had an aluminum mount fail in a carbine course.

Also, MK16 rails integral QD slots are useless. Doesn’t matter if they have the gold insert or not.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I believe the URX4 has a steel reinforced QD socket built into the rear of the handguard. I am not aware of any other handguards with steel reinforced built-in QD sockets.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I believe the URX4 has a steel reinforced QD socket built into the rear of the handguard. I am not aware of any other handguards with steel reinforced built-in QD sockets.
View Quote

My magnet said nope on my URX4.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

These manufacturers do and I know there's many more:

LaRue Tactical
Geissele
Daniel Defense
Midwest Industries
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ArizonaRifleman:

View Quote

Could be stainless steel.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ARgonot:

These manufacturers do and I know there's many more:

LaRue Tactical
Geissele
Daniel Defense
Midwest Industries
Cross Machine and Tool (CMT)
View Quote

Added one to the list.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There are indeed steel, whether ole boy's magnet is broke or not.

Definitely NOT aluminum.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's a good possibility. Magnet definitely worked though as it stuck right to the barrel immediately afterwards and as we all should know the only type of stainless that a magnet won't attract to has austenitic crystal structure as not all stainless will attract magnets. This should have been known.

Thanks for pointing this out as it does make more sense. The sockets can be removed internally or using the swivel itself to remove and are installed after the URX4 comes back from anodizing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:00:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KissMethod17] [#26]
if you are a fan of using a Magpul Paraclip instead of the traditional QD sling swivel, Magpul makes the QD Paraclip adapter. The adapter installs into any QD socket including those integrated into handguards. These install very tightly and have not loosened up one bit. There is no rotational movement when installed, you basically pick which direction you want the "loop" to point. The adapters look like they could also work with HK hooks, mash hooks, etc.  Since it does not move, no wear occurs on the socket, despite the adapters being made of steel.

I prefer using a paraclip on the front end of my sling as its easier to undo for me, particularly when wearing gloves and is even quicker to detach than traditional QD sling swivels IMO. I have had integral QD sockets wear out to a point where their anti-rotational benefits no longer worked and it would free-spin. These were only on handguards that were not reinforced with a steel socket, but were part of the aluminum machine work. I have a feeling that over more time and use the sockets would have failed all-together.

The adapters take up space that was already taken up by the integral QD sockets themselves. Its nice to be able to reliably use that space now and without worry of wearing out the aluminum there. This aspect is more important if you have limited rail space such as a carbine-length handguard or, in my particular case, a DDM4V3 with its mid-length quad rail.

https://magpul.com/qd-paraclip-adapter.html?mp_global_color=118
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:59:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: erwinp] [#27]
If the gun sees use, the steel QD will eventually wear an aluminum QD slot.  For the price (~$20ish), it's cheap to just add a steel QD socket where you want it and never have to worry.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:59:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: erwinp] [#28]
Accidental double post.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Besides BCM and FCD, who else makes a steel M-lok QD socket?

I made the mistake of buying a Magpul and Arisaka socket before finding out they’re aluminum so ended up returning them. Will prob go BCM
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd just go with one of those 2 and call it good. Both of my main "go to" ARs have the BCM ones. They're solid
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#31]
yeah BCM it is!

you would think magpul, blue force gear, and arisaka would use steel since they’re charging $20+ per socket
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 5:00:37 AM EDT
[#32]
There's a good chance that if you'd never been to AR15.com, you could live your entire life with an aluminum one and never realize how close you'd come to near certain death. However, threads like this one are why I'm running around with a steel socket mounted right next to the built in aluminum one
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Tie sling on with parachute cord
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#34]
We will soon have a fixed steel sling loop mount for both Pic rails and MLOK.  QD swivels have their places, I rarely use them, if you have a ling with an emergency quick release, it might be better to use a fixed sling loop and eliminate the QD swivel and the cost.

The problem with QD swivel is their quality varies, it adds another part that can fail if you got an el cheapo one made in China.

As for QD mounts, sockets should have helicoil inserts, or be made in steel.  Steel vs. aluminum, aluminum will give way much sooner.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 6:30:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Duffy:
We will soon have a fixed steel sling loop mount for both Pic rails and MLOK.  QD swivels have their places, I rarely use them, if you have a ling with an emergency quick release, it might be better to use a fixed sling loop and eliminate the QD swivel and the cost.

The problem with QD swivel is their quality varies, it adds another part that can fail if you got an el cheapo one made in China.

As for QD mounts, sockets should have helicoil inserts, or be made in steel.  Steel vs. aluminum, aluminum will give way much sooner.
View Quote

That is exactly what I've been doing with a QR buckle sling, except with paracord to secure the sling to the rifle. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top