Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2018 4:57:50 PM EDT
First time posting here, looking for assistance. I own a DD MK18 pistol. Upper is factory DD including their bcg, lower is a Spikes Tactical with a CMC Trigger. Ive put about 2000 rounds through the upper so far with not a single failure. Today I was mag dumping back-to-back. I hit about 250 rounds fired and had a failure. Looked into the upper and saw a casing stuck to the front of the bolt. After knocking the casing off of the bolt, I discovered that it had punched a whole straight through the casing. This has never happened. I was using factory new ammo, not reloaded. The gun functioned fine before and after this. The only change that had occurred between this session and my last session was adding a Geissele Super 42 Spring/Buffer. I am unsure if this counts a failure-to-eject, but I guess that is what happened. I have never heard anyone talk about a shell being stuck to bolt though. I will post a full parts list and pictures below. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Ammo: Frontier Cartridges - 5.56 55GR FMJ M193

• Daniel Defense MK18 10.3" Upper

• KAK Shockwave/Buffer Set Up

• Daniel Defense Pistol Grip

• Spikes Tactical Honey Badger Lower

• Surefire Muzzle Break and Warden

• Eotech EXPS2-0 and Vortex Magnifier

• Magpul BAD Lever

• EPT MOE LPK

• Magpul MBUS

• DD BCG

• Geissele Super 42 Spring and Buffer

• Magpul Rail Covers

• SureFire Vampire Scout Light

• Ranger Bands

Pictures of Problem Casing and Entire of Upper Receiver/Feed Ramps

Full Rifle Pics
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a blown primer
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing to worry about?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Might have some flame cutting on bolt face but I doubt it, probably was just a round with primer not fully seated or loose primer pocket. you should be good to go
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#4]
That is some serious case head flow.  See the rim of the case head where it says "Frontier"?  Notice how there is a dot where the ejector was and a lip where the extractor was?  That's typically caused by a seriously hot load.  Have any other pieces from the batch that you can show us pictures of?

Link 1

Link 2

I'd send pictures and lot # to Hornady and see what they say.

I wouldn't shoot anymore of it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont have any more pictures sadly. I am also a member on reddit, and a commenter there said that this Frontier M193 has had serious problems for other people. I will copy/paste his comment:

[–]ShwishyShwa 1 point 29 minutes ago
It's the ammo. It has been reported several times that people are having problems and even a couple kabooms with frontier m193.

Way over pressure. Blown primer, ejector swipes etc. in your picture.

Shoot the rest at your own risk.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont have any more pictures sadly. I am also a member on reddit, and a commenter there said that this Frontier M193 has had serious problems for other people. I will copy/paste his comment:

It's the ammo. It has been reported several times that people are having problems and even a couple kabooms with frontier m193.

View Quote
He's right.

Possible scenarios:
-Nothing bad happens
-You have a minor KB causing a little or a lot of damage to the rifle
-You have a major KB with tens of thousands of PSI going off in an uncontrolled manner inches from your eyes and face

If you posted that picture on a reloading forum, you'd be told to box up your reloading press until you have learned sound reloading techniques, purchased quality gear, and obtained proper load data.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, more crappy Frontier.

If Hornady gets sue'd, they will have deserved it for this crap.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That is some serious case head flow.  See the rim of the case head where it says "Frontier"?  Notice how there is a dot where the ejector was and a lip where the extractor was?  That's typically caused by a seriously hot load.  Have any other pieces from the batch that you can show us pictures of?

Link 1

Link 2

I'd send pictures and lot # to Hornady and see what they say.

I wouldn't shoot anymore of it.
View Quote
I agree 100%.  I've had HOT 300BLK from them in the past and they made it right and changed their loading afterwards too.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've seen the frontier ammo for some smoking deals, but I've passed because of the issues so many posters have.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Frontier strikes again...
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Sent an email to Hornady with the information yall told me to. They replied back saying it is on my end with an overgassed system. They arent even acknowledging the blown primer.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sent an email to Hornady with the information yall told me to. They replied back saying it is on my end with an overgassed system. They arent even acknowledging the blown primer.
View Quote
BS and they know it.

I hope they get their asses sued and lose millions.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe I should buy some of that ammo and try to get in on the lawsuit thats coming.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bet you a Coke Daniel Defense says the upper is fine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh, I am sure. It has run flawlessly until that batch of ammo, with many different kinds and brands. They even asked me why I was shooting it out of a 223 Wylde chambered-barreled. This was after I told them the specs of my rifle.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, except I don't want them sued, but they need to make it right.
ETA: Shit, I should have kept reading.
They aren't handling this well at all.

This is at least the third instance of this shit being dangerously overloaded.

To give everyone an idea, cartridge brass becomes plastic (flows) around 80k psi.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hey, thats me.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top