Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2022 9:00:32 PM EDT
I got a Velocity trigger for my new Larue. I've installed a drop in before, I put a 1st gen Rise RA-140 in my DD5V3.The rise didn't have the set screws that engage the receiver, so I used the included anti walk pins. No issues there and a big improvement over the heavy mil spec trigger.

Yesterday I installed the Velocity in my new Larue and installed a new mil spec style ambi safety. The safety wouldn't install. Looking through the safety hole in the receiver, the trigger bar was clearly blocking the clearance. I undid the locking set screws and then backed out the set screws that engage the trigger housing to the receiver. Still not enough clearance to insert the safety. I removed the hammer pin and tilted the trigger unit back, and was then able to install safety and reinsert the hammer pin. Function checked fine, but in safe the barrel of the safety was clearly in contact with the trigger bar. I applied a drop of oil and worked it a few times, and while it functioned, it didn't feel right to me. I've never felt a safety so stiff. Not so stiff you couldn't actuate it, but it just didn't feel right.

So out comes the probably Chinese made piece of crap ambi safety I bought and I paid the fool's price and ordered a Radian Talon for the cost of the Talon plus the crap safety I started with.

So this week when the Radian safety shows up everything may be as it should be and that is that, but if the Talon is making too much contact with the trigger bar like the previous safety, do I say screw it to the set screws in the trigger housing and just use some anti walk pins? Anyone ever run into something like this with a drop in trigger? I'd like to use the trigger's set screws and standard hammer and trigger pins, because when I had it installed that way the trigger feel was perfection, and I don't want to introduce any play in the trigger that isn't there when it's snugged down.

Just kind of hoping to hear someone else has run into this. Thanks guys

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Hammer was cocked during install.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I've run into this more than once.  Tolerance stacking between the trigger, safety, and receiver can add up to this.  I had the same problem with an Elftmann SE trigger.  None of the milspec or aftermarket safeties I had on hand would work without a lot of force.  I ended up getting one of Elftmann's push button safeties and it now works.  I also stopped using standard trigger pins because they still walk out and over-tightening the set screws caused the safety issue to be worse.  I've gone to anti walk pins on all drop in triggers.

I am not a proponent of modifying triggers or safeties to make them work.  As soon as you start grinding on something it opens up a lot of liability.  It is better to talk with manufacturers to see what they will do, then try different combos if they don't have a solution.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top