Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2021 6:25:32 PM EDT
I bought this kit because I tried a Real Avid brand cleaning kit and it's a pile of Chinese crap.  

Everything seems well made and high quality.  Made in USA so hell yeah!  
Handle is anodized aluminum with bearings.  It has a knurled disk to grip so you can use the bore brush and mop.
The rods are not coated but it says they are soft enough not to damage the barrel.  The polish on them is very smooth.  Which they claim is basically the coating to prevent scratches in the barrel.  By being polished they won't pick up fowling like carbon fiber or aluminum rods. And rods with a sprayed on coating.  They are stainless steel.
Also has a otis brand nylon brush.  
The clp is virtually odorless.  
The box is your typical cheap plastic box and liner.
Has a bore light which to my surprise actually work even though it's just a piece of plastic.  
Has a muzzle protector but not sure why.  
The cleaning patch holder and a spear tip jag
Rural king sells this kit for $39.  It's well worth it.  Unless you want a tactical kit.  But they have those for the AR as well.  It has coated rods.  But a different handle.

about the rods,  sorry for the blurry through the carton photo. wasn't going to take it all apart just to take a picture.  but it describes why the rods are made like they are.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I won't use any screw-together rods to clean a rifle.
No matter how quality they are they never mate perfectly and there's a sharp edge that can ruin a muzzle.

For rifles I use only one-piece stainless steel rods.
I use Dewey simply because that's what I bought the first time, and because that seems to be the default standard for most of the top shooters I saw on the ranges.

For pistols, I bought two Pro-Shot pistols rods years and years ago.  One for .22 and one for .38 and up.
These have knurled aluminum handles and brass cone-shaped muzzle protectors.
I've never been anything but totally satisfied with them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I won't use any screw-together rods to clean a rifle.
No matter how quality they are they never mate perfectly and there's a sharp edge that can ruin a muzzle.

For rifles I use only one-piece stainless steel rods.
I use Dewey simply because that's what I bought the first time, and because that seems to be the default standard for most of the top shooters I saw on the ranges.

For pistols, I bought two Pro-Shot pistols rods years and years ago.  One for .22 and one for .38 and up.
These have knurled aluminum handles and brass cone-shaped muzzle protectors.
I've never been anything but totally satisfied with them.
View Quote

they do have solid rods also.  you shouldn't be worried over it. your barrel is way harder than these rods.  only harder materials can scratch less harder materials.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The pro shot pistol kits are outstanding, I have one in particular that I want to say is over 20 years old that has been used countless times and still works well.  You made a good investment.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't used the chemicals in a long time, but don't remember any problems.  I do use their hardware though, cleaning rods, brushes, jags, etc.  All of it is great quality, and I personally prefer it over many brands out there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much all my cleaning gear is Pro Shot. I really like the solid rod. Standard threads and everything good quality and normal.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

they do have solid rods also.  you shouldn't be worried over it. your barrel is way harder than these rods.  only harder materials can scratch less harder materials.
View Quote

Sorry, that's wrong.
Soft rods like brass or aluminum are known to get grit embedded into the soft metal and wear or scratch a barrel.
If in doubt that this can happen, ask a gunsmith or machinists about lapping glass-hard steel with a brass lapping tool.

The best and safest cleaning rod to use is an un-coated one-piece hardened stainless steel rod.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two or three of the Pro Shot rods, they are well made but I dont use them any more, I use only Tipton fiberglass one piece rods now and really like them.  The Pro Shot rods are in my portable cleaning kit now

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top