Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2018 4:06:19 PM EDT
After final profiling, milling, de-burring and engraving, do you media blast the receiver prior to sending off or do you let the anodizer do it?

If you do it, then what media and grit is recommended? I have a blast cabinet so I can easily do it.

Many thanks

BTW I just got my 607 stock back from Matt and he is a wizard. I will post pics and report later.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was anodizing, I preferred to blast the parts myself.  In fact, almost always, if someone blasted the part, I did it again myself anyway.

JT
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Most, if not all anodizing companies, prefer that they blast a part before anodizing.  It's usually part of their surface prep anyway.  And, they will tell you they have no control over what contaminants may get imbedded into the part by your blast media.  (You may have blasted steel parts yesterday, and your aluminum receiver today, with the same media)  The color and finish of the anodizing can be affected by these contaminants.

That said, after recontouring a lower, I blast the areas I've worked as a check, and to blend in tiny imperfections and scratches.  And, after seeing NDS's video, I try to polish out some of the forging as well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to anodize.  This gent is correct regarding blast cabinets that may be contaminated with iron or steel in the media, which can affect the anodizing.  After blasting, a dip in sodium hydroxide liquid (lye) dissolves some potential contaminants.

Check with the anodized to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Stainless shot
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top