Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2018 4:56:01 PM EDT
I have perhaps the worst luck when it comes to firearms.  I always seem to be the one who gets a lemon - and I'm paying for premium brands usually.  I've gotten bad firearms from Accuracy International (believe it it's true), a KAC SR-15 that would FTE regularly, a CZ p10C that wouldn't lock back on empty, and an MPX and a Glock 42 (both Gen 1's - lesson learned) that were so bad that the manufacturers actually bought them back from me.  I also had a US Optics LR-17 that had a scope correction factor of 1.05 (which, if you don't know SCF's, is the rough equivalent of buying a Porsche 911 only to find out that it has a Chevette motor inside).  Other manufacturers have shipped firearms with some more minor defects, but usually worked through them reasonably well.  I had essentially given up faith in the idea that "Premium Money = Good Quality Control".

Before this year, I hadn't laid eyes on a Larue Rifle.  I had purchased several mounts here and there.  The mounts were more than adequate, but it's pretty hard to get excited about a mount - the best they can do is to make you notice they aren't there.  Well circumstances led to me being able to acquire two Larue rifles (with a third on the way).  I have a PredatOBR in 7.62 and an UU Kit in 5.56.

Both from a performance perspective, from a fit/finish perspective, and an overall aesthetics perspective, Larue is easily the best on the market for my money.  Even the OBR/PredatOBR magazines (the magazines!) exude quality (my AI Double Stack AX magazines are nice, too, but Larue's are better).  The only knock I can possibly think of is that the rifles are heavier (the 5.56, though, negligibly).

I understand (but I don't know why - and I don't care to know why) that some on this forum don't care for Mr. Larue. Whaterver those may be, he's a vigorous defender of the Second Amendment, which most of us hold very dear.  Accordingly, he'll get my respect until some intervening reason arises.

Larue rifles, though.  Man, they're just next level - better than KAC, better than AI (I know apples/oranges, but AI quality is not what people imagine it to be), better than LMT (I received an LMT that had a defective bolt catch, FFS), better than DanielTraitorDefense.  You can say that the military picked AI/KAC/Daniel Traitor Defense/Brand X, but remember cost may have been a factor in those procurements - I don't know one way or another.  But I can tell you from my examples, the Larue's are just.plain.better.  And for that, I am thankful to Mr. Larue and his company for the pleasure of shooting them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t see any pictures of rifles in the post above...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 11:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t see any pictures of rifles in the post above...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136152/3CBA8CD4-3C9B-416E-9569-007CF9ABC7A8-572678.JPG
View Quote
Haha.  I'll see what I can do...perhaps this weekend.  Btw, edited the original post to correct "MP5" to "MPX".  If only I had a gen 1 MP5!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DanielTraitorDefense
View Quote
Could someone expound on this, or point me in the right direction.

A PM will work, I am all for voting with my wallet.

As for Larue, I have used mounts from them and so forth, I love what they make, great stuff
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have perhaps the worst luck when it comes to firearms.  I always seem to be the one who gets a lemon - and I'm paying for premium brands usually.  I've gotten bad firearms from Accuracy International (believe it it's true), a KAC SR-15 that would FTE regularly, a CZ p10C that wouldn't lock back on empty, and an MPX and a Glock 42 (both Gen 1's - lesson learned) that were so bad that the manufacturers actually bought them back from me.  I also had a US Optics LR-17 that had a scope correction factor of 1.05 (which, if you don't know SCF's, is the rough equivalent of buying a Porsche 911 only to find out that it has a Chevette motor inside).  Other manufacturers have shipped firearms with some more minor defects, but usually worked through them reasonably well.  I had essentially given up faith in the idea that "Premium Money = Good Quality Control".

Before this year, I hadn't laid eyes on a Larue Rifle.  I had purchased several mounts here and there.  The mounts were more than adequate, but it's pretty hard to get excited about a mount - the best they can do is to make you notice they aren't there.  Well circumstances led to me being able to acquire two Larue rifles (with a third on the way).  I have a PredatOBR in 7.62 and an UU Kit in 5.56.

Both from a performance perspective, from a fit/finish perspective, and an overall aesthetics perspective, Larue is easily the best on the market for my money.  Even the OBR/PredatOBR magazines (the magazines!) exude quality (my AI Double Stack AX magazines are nice, too, but Larue's are better).  The only knock I can possibly think of is that the rifles are heavier (the 5.56, though, negligibly).

I understand (but I don't know why - and I don't care to know why) that some on this forum don't care for Mr. Larue. Whaterver those may be, he's a vigorous defender of the Second Amendment, which most of us hold very dear.  Accordingly, he'll get my respect until some intervening reason arises.

Larue rifles, though.  Man, they're just next level - better than KAC, better than AI (I know apples/oranges, but AI quality is not what people imagine it to be), better than LMT (I received an LMT that had a defective bolt catch, FFS), better than DanielTraitorDefense.  You can say that the military picked AI/KAC/Daniel Traitor Defense/Brand X, but remember cost may have been a factor in those procurements - I don't know one way or another.  But I can tell you from my examples, the Larue's are just.plain.better.  And for that, I am thankful to Mr. Larue and his company for the pleasure of shooting them.
View Quote
I have an OBR and a Predator OBR and feel the same way. My 2 most accurate 308 AR's.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The quality of my Stealth 2.0 made me question what I've been doing on my own builds for the last 20 years.

I wish the Ultimate Upper kit had been available when I was doing all my other AR15 builds.

Complete factory rifle:
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The quality of my Stealth 2.0 made me question what I've been doing on my own builds for the last 20 years.

I wish the Ultimate Upper kit had been available when I was doing all my other AR15 builds.

Complete factory rifle:
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/20170816_174654_zpszwnv2dnn.jpg
View Quote
Nice Rifle!  Did it come with the white outlining?  More importantly, what's the story of that Simo-fired case?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice Rifle!  Did it come with the white outlining?  More importantly, what's the story of that Simo-fired case?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Complete factory rifle:
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/20170816_174654_zpszwnv2dnn.jpg
I was a little apprehensive about the logo on the mag well from seeing it in pictures, but after receiving the rifle and seeing how much attention-to-detail there is, I color-filled everything myself.

The Simo Häyhä spent case is an actual recovered case from one of his firing positions, found 60 years later in the year 2000.

A group of Finnish officers and NCOs who are part of their sniping community went to interview him in the nursing home before he died.  They wanted to learn as much about him and his lessons-learned from the horse's mouth.  After a series of questions, he suggested they get in a car and drive to Kollaa so he could show them the terrain where everything actually happened.

Upon arriving in the area (it's in Russia now), they dismounted the car and walked over to an overwatch position he used, where he explained to them how the Russians were advancing, how he engaged them, etc.  One of the guys was half paying attention, while sifting through the grass with his foot, and started to notice a lot of spent 7.62x53 cases.  They asked him if he knew of any other soldiers occupying that position he was in, and he said, "No, I guess those are mine..."

His company commander had served in the French Foreign Legion in Africa, after getting kicked out of the Finnish Army Officer's Training Academy for alcohol use.  Finland had its own prohibition in the 1920s as well, so if you got caught, I guess it was a big deal.  Anyway, he gave Häyhä his own sniper skirmish sectors off to the flank of the Company, since he knew Häyhä was an accomplished rifle competitor and fox hunter, who could force multiply his unit's capabilities by working from a concealed position in an avenue of approach the Russians thought was open to them.

Anyway, these guys made a limited number of plaques with the spent cases, and they were given out to select people as gifts within the community.  I was stunned to receive one several Christmas's ago by one of my good friends who was Chairman of one of their Sniper's Guilds.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was a little apprehensive about the logo on the mag well from seeing it in pictures, but after receiving the rifle and seeing how much attention-to-detail there is, I color-filled everything myself.

The Simo Häyhä spent case is an actual recovered case from one of his firing positions, found 60 years later in the year 2000.

A group of Finnish officers and NCOs who are part of their sniping community went to interview him in the nursing home before he died.  They wanted to learn as much about him and his lessons-learned from the horse's mouth.  After a series of questions, he suggested they get in a car and drive to Kollaa so he could show them the terrain where everything actually happened.

http://www.winterwar.com/Battles/Battlemaps/tolvajarvi/Suojaervi-Tolvajaervi301139.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/historiek.net/wp-content/uploads-phistor1/2017/06/Simo-Häyhä-1905-2002-De-doeltreffendste-sluipschutter-ooit.jpeg?fit=791%2C571&ssl=1

Upon arriving in the area (it's in Russia now), they dismounted the car and walked over to an overwatch position he used, where he explained to them how the Russians were advancing, how he engaged them, etc.  One of the guys was half paying attention, while sifting through the grass with his foot, and started to notice a lot of spent 7.62x53 cases.  They asked him if he knew of any other soldiers occupying that position he was in, and he said, "No, I guess those are mine..."

His company commander had served in the French Foreign Legion in Africa, after getting kicked out of the Finnish Army Officer's Training Academy for alcohol use.  Finland had its own prohibition in the 1920s as well, so if you got caught, I guess it was a big deal.  Anyway, he gave Häyhä his own sniper skirmish sectors off to the flank of the Company, since he knew Häyhä was an accomplished rifle competitor and fox hunter, who could force multiply his unit's capabilities by working from a concealed position in an avenue of approach the Russians thought was open to them.

Anyway, these guys made a limited number of plaques with the spent cases, and they were given out to select people as gifts within the community.  I was stunned to receive one several Christmas's ago by one of my good friends who was Chairman of one of their Sniper's Guilds.
View Quote
That is fantastic.  Thanks for taking the time to recount it.  I know a shooter (not me) that would love to have one of those cases.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Complete factory rifle:
View Quote
Did you do any of your accurizing process to the Larue?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Complete factory rifle:
Nope.  I haven't touched it other than the color-fill.

With the 6x Burris it came with, this is what I was able to do with Hornady American Gunner:

I've seen enough of what I needed to see at 100 and 200yds to not worry about it anymore, and work on hitting steel at distance.

2 weeks ago, I was shooting out to 1000yds with it using another 1-6x scope, which is less than ideal for 1k.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nope.  I haven't touched it other than the color-fill.

With the 6x Burris it came with, this is what I was able to do with Hornady American Gunner:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/65%20Grendel%20Reloading/20171125_172039_zpskacuvewt.jpg

I've seen enough of what I needed to see at 100 and 200yds to not worry about it anymore, and work on hitting steel at distance.

2 weeks ago, I was shooting out to 1000yds with it using another 1-6x scope, which is less than ideal for 1k.
View Quote
Forgive the ignorance, but what is this accurizing process?  Not for my Larues - my experience has been the same, but other ARs may benefit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#13]
For accuracy work on the AR, read this thread.

Probably the most important part is bedding the barrel to the upper, and that thread features one of the techniques several posts down.

Hellbender's Guide to the Ultimate AR
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#14]
WTF is wrong with DD?
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
WTF is wrong with DD?
View Quote
Mr. Daniel publicly supported the "Fix NICS" bill.  http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/03/robert-farago/daniel-defense-fix-nics/

Reasons for why he did are in dispute - some suggesting that it was to help him maintain his relationship with the (Republican) Senators who co-sponsored the Fix NICS bill, who are, of course the same senators who have influence over government contracting.  Mr. Daniel apparently felt the backlash, and in an X-Products type move, tried to backtrack.  It was too late for many.

They should now be considered among the "Rogues Gallery" of traitorous gun manufacturers:

Rock River Arms
Springfield Armory
Daniel Defense
X-Products

By all accounts, Daniel Defense makes a good product (even if many consider them FUGLY).  They'll not see another dime of mine, especially when there are so many other manufacturers out there who aren't lukewarm about the 2A (LaRue among them).
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As for Larue, I have used mounts from them and so forth, I love what they make, great stuff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DanielTraitorDefense

PM sent, though I see the above poster covered it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Wish Larue would sell just the barrel, or barrel/bolt sets.

Some of us don't want to dump a ton of $ into parts we don't want or need
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd be game!
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I understand this sentiment (I'm assuming you're talking about .260/6.5, because 5.56 and 7.62 are available). I'd love to have a .260 barrel for my PredatOBR (which is in 7.62.  You can buy a .260 PredatOBR and then buy a 7.62 barrel, but not the other way 'round).  After begging and pleading with LaRue and getting nowhere, I revisited the concept of the UU in .260.  I was told by LaRue that the Barrels are made the exact same way as their PredatOBR barrels (and you can buy a PredatOBR barrel nut) with the exception that the adjustable gas block is not available.  You can, however purchase one from SLR and Seekins.  From there, it becomes a cost analysis (which I'm sure you've done):

1) $725 for PredatOBR barrel + say, $150 for the bolt.
2) $1192 for UU kit, +$152.99 for SLR block.

$317-$470 delta.  The Trigger, magazines and muzzle brake should be easy to sell (minimum of $250, though the cost of your time is not free), and if you order in MLOK, there are plenty of people here that seem to wish they had ordered theirs in MLOK instead of Keymod.  You've got all the polymer parts as well that you could keep or sell (If you want to sell the stock and Larue Mags, let me know . . . I'd probably be a buyer).  I think this gets you pretty close to even.

My issue is that I go the other direction:  With the available add-ons of the the Lower and the suppressor (at a discounted price), I say "add it all in!", and before you know it, I'm up $1,000 over the price of just the barrel.  LaRue ain't no dummy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had the same problem with mine. Found out the problem was me. My thumb was interfering with the slide release even though I couldn't feel it. It's locked open every time since I became mindful of it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Which Barrel/Bolt sets ?

View Quote
All of them
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Which Barrel/Bolt sets ?

View Quote
Grendel.

I want to put one on a sidecharger
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Which Barrel/Bolt sets ?

View Quote
Just the .260 for the PredatOBR, please!
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Which Barrel/Bolt sets ?

View Quote
308 for my Armalite. Im contemplating getting the Ultimate Upper kit, getting your lower, then selling the upper chassis, putting my Armalite upper on your Lower. Just because....

ETA: Or if you sold 308 Stealth barrels, I wouldnt have to do something so stupid to get what I want. And I could just settle on not having your lower until I get an OBR.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All of them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which Barrel/Bolt sets ?

All of them
Please.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top