Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2021 5:02:27 PM EDT
This build is in no way a MK12, I only took inspiration from the awesome MK12s that I have seen on here.  Father in law is still with us, we see him whenever we can and do grocery runs for he and my mother in law.

A few years ago I built my father in law a Ar15.  He had been buying surplus rifles and was getting into shooting.  The rifles he was firing had a lot of kick and while he enjoyed shooting them, I could see that it was beating him up a bit (especially the lever action .45-70).  He was on a budget and at the time could not swing a Ar15.  He would not accept one of mine, so I talked my other Brother in laws into pitching some cash and I built his rifle and gave it to him at Christmas.  I used a PSA chrome lined 16" midlength upper.  I can't remember if it's a FN barrel or not though.  I used a blem PSA lower and a mil spec LPK with some JP springs and a VERY light polish on the FCG.  I gave him a few mags and ammo to go with it.  He was happy to have it and enjoyed shooting it, that rifle made every range trip.  A few years later he was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia and as his body started to fail him he gave his guns to his daughters and son in laws.  I recieved the AR15 as no one else wanted it (my inlaws are not really gun people and one of my SIL and BIL live in Cali).  He gave it to me with the condition that when he wanted to go the range I would take him.  I agreed and he has gone twice since.

He really liked to have the scope up very high.  He stacked a riser on a riser and then hand rings attached to that.  I bought him a MOE stock and a RISR so he could shoot it more comfortably.  When he gave me the rifle he also gave me all the parts he bought for it with it.  The scope he had on it had an issue with something floating in it and he opened it up to clean it, and then reassembled it not 100% correctly.  As I looked at the assorted parts I had an idea.  Ima make a red neck Mk12-ish.  Well poor man's SPR.  I sent the scope back to Nikon and they agreed to warranty it.  Long story short, it was a cluster funk due to poor communication on their dept part, they basically said they had no scopes to offer as a replacement.  At the time I was under a little cash crunch so when they finally agreed to cut a check for the replacemnt cost (FIL kept all reciepts) the only scope I could comfortably afford was a Vortex.  

I couldn't easily get the Anderson rail off (FIL lock tighted the locking collar) so I looked at the parts box.  I used a blackhawk 1/4" riser and bought another one.  I trimmed the new rail to butt up against the older one and put a MI rear sight I had laying around on it and it lined up pretty well.  I wanted to keep the high scope mounting on there so when he wanted to shoot it it would be familar.  He wasn't a huge fan of the front sight, so I splurged on a PRI folding front sight.  I swapped the MOE for a CTR and dropped in a spare G2S trigger.  I had a short YHM QD so I put that on and he shot it suppressed.  Between the added weight of the rifle and the suppressor, it shot very soft.  Over all he is happy with the changes.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it, but just say SPR.  You will bring the cloners back from the dead to rape you comparing it to a MK12.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks awesome.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like it, but just say SPR.  You will bring the cloners back from the dead to rape you comparing it to a MK12.
View Quote

Yeah, was hoping to aviod that with the disclaimer at the beginning.  Lol.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I did a Mod 1 inspired build a couple months ago!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
OP the build looks real good and I like it and cheers to you and the family for doing this for your FIL....

My BIL is a total gun person, only he and I on both sides of the family are gun people, so we talk almost every day.

Best of luck and well wishes for the FIL

Bronc
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very good advise, as I posted here, what I called my version of a MK12 some time ago and you would have thought I opened a can of small pox
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I did a Mod 1 inspired build a couple months ago!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477935/20201213_203016_jpg-1845485.JPG
View Quote

Nice build.  A wink and a nudge to a fellow YHM can owner as well.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP the build looks real good and I like it and cheers to you and the family for doing this for your FIL....

My BIL is a total gun person, only he and I on both sides of the family are gun people, so we talk almost every day.

Best of luck and well wishes for the FIL

Bronc
View Quote

He's a proud man and him not being able to control his body frustrates him.  I ready up on what he has and I have come to terms with it.  I keep the mood light and fuck with him so he doesn't feel sorry for himself.  MNy wife is having a harder time with it which is understandable.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#9]
IS that riser 1 piece?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IS that riser 1 piece?
View Quote

No, it's two of the blackhawk risers.  I had to use a chop saw to trim the one so it butt up against the other one while also lining up with the rail to lock it down.  If the top rail picatiny would have been spaced a little differently, I probably would have been able to just mount it.  I was cut and then fitted and then I used a belt/disc sander to get the fit as tight as possible.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice looking gun, OP.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Good on you OP.  Very thoughtful.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Great and unique "SPR" build.
Perhaps skip the "MK 12" designation completely and call it a Mod0 "ish" build.
Yeah, that'll probably just piss the cloners off even more.
However when I referred to this build as a Mod1 "ish" build, I don't think I had a single comment, up or down.

I do have a Mod0 semi-clone build as well.

Unfortunately, it has a Krieger barrel and I have not been able to afford a proper dated full auto lower so it is just "close."
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great and unique "SPR" build.
Perhaps skip the "MK 12" designation completely and call it a Mod0 "ish" build.
Yeah, that'll probably just piss the cloners off even more.
However when I referred to this build as a Mod1 "ish" build, I don't think I had a single comment, up or down.

https://i.imgur.com/yfOHYdy.jpg

I do have a Mod0 semi-clone build as well.

https://i.imgur.com/e8eCJo5.jpg

Unfortunately, it has a Krieger barrel and I have not been able to afford a proper dated full auto lower so it is just "close."
View Quote

On the advise of you and the guys above you I have modified the wording.  I know the stings of the cloners, so I rarely try for a clone build.  I'm not knocking them, they have passion for builds they do and the accuracy of the parts involved is part of the thrill of the build.  IMO to not be right in as many details as possible is "lazy" or "cheating".  I do get it.

Very nice builds you got there.  I may eventually pick up a midlength PRI handguard and top rail to get closer to Mod 0-1.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Very nice builds you got there.  I may eventually pick up a midlength PRI handguard and top rail to get closer to Mod 0-1.
View Quote

Thanks, the Krieger and Douglass both shoot wonderfully.

I was never into the "clone" thing, but I did want a weapon very much like the one I had experience with, less the FA lower.
I even sprung (years ago) for a genuine OPS 12th suppressor.
Back in 2004/5 you couldn't get anything but the correct parts.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top