BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#1]
What ever happened to the KE Arms (CAV Clone it seems) at Brownells? $89.99 makes it attractive.
Is it still a go for the 2nd qtr 2020?
Is there a relationship between KE Arms and GWACS Armory who tool over the CAV lower manufacturing and now should be refurbishing or replacing its tooling?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WSAR15:
What ever happened to the KE Arms (CAV Clone it seems) at Brownells? $89.99 makes it attractive.
Is it still a go for the 2nd qtr 2020?
View Quote

He literally posted just that.  Try scrolling up.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By M90A1:

I think he's talking about the EP Armory polymer receivers. They are really cheap, especially when on sale(I've seen 'em as low as $11 ea.) and you get what you pay for. There's probably $.50 worth of polymer in a receiver.
View Quote

That guy must be making good money. I watch as he gets inventory and quickly gos out of stock. By my figuring there must be tens  of thousands of EP armory lowers out there. There's gotta be a lot that don't break. People just don't admit they own one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AASG:
That guy must be making good money. I watch as he gets inventory and quickly goes out of stock. By my figuring there must be tens  of thousands of EP Armory lowers out there. There's gotta be a lot that don't break. People just don't admit they own one.
View Quote

They work very well, when assembled with the proper parts for the application. I've seen quite a few that are giving no problems, including 9mm. They are not without minor niggles, thus my previous comment concerning you get what you pay for. Of course, it helps to have a really good jig to machine them with.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be getting a replacement when I return the broken one to them. It will be another 9mm since it has the Glock mag well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dntama:
KE Arms is supposed to be coming out with lower that looks similar to the last Cav Arms receiver... From what I have seen the LOP is still too long. I really like the Cav Arms receiver I still have but I did shorten the LOP by cutting the stock about 2 inches shorter. Since both designs use a carbine buffer and spring I think the LOP should be shorter. 
View Quote

2 inches? What is that, 11 LOP? That seems shorter than most customers would prefer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Do stupid things (like buy a Polymer Lower instead of a Metal one)... win prizes.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Timmy2Knives:

2 inches? What is that, 11 LOP? That seems shorter than most customers would prefer. 
View Quote

It’s about 11.75 inches

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#9]
KE Arms is supposed to be coming o­ut with lower that looks similar to the last ­Cav Arms receiver...
I believe their lowers will be injection molded (under pressure) Nylon or Lexan equivalent with perhaps a fiberglass charge? This will make them much tougher and resistant that simply molded polymer lowers.
Anybody have details?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice rig!
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WSAR15:
KE Arms is supposed to be coming o­ut with lower that looks similar to the last ­Cav Arms receiver... 
I believe their lowers will be injection molded (under pressure) Nylon or Lexan equivalent with perhaps a fiberglass charge? This will make them much tougher and resistant that simply molded polymer lowers.
Anybody have details?
View Quote

Probably this guy does:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Polymer-lower-broke/122-750856/?page=1#i8091374
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Probably this guy does:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Polymer-lower-broke/122-750856/?page=1#i8091374
View Quote

I don't get it. You linked back to this thread.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AASG:

I don't get it. You linked back to this thread.
View Quote

B/c that's the guy who has already posted in this thread who is having the molds made for the KE Arms Mk3.  Which is what he already posted that folks didn't read.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I reached out to Brownells regarding the material in the MK3 - this is what they replied:
"The MK3 is an AR15 style receiver made from injection molded glass filled nylon incorporating the butt stock, buffer tube, pistol grip, and trigger into the receiver design as integral components....it will use standard AR components except for the take down pin which will be included with the lower"
Sound quite good to me and rugged. I intend to try them out for my first "poly" AR15.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Theoretically you can cut weight, cost, and parts count w/ a polymer lower.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I can find a better way, to save an ounce, than use a polymer receiver.
Still an interesting discussion, though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think I can find a better way, to save an ounce, than use a polymer receiver.
Still an interesting discussion, though.
View Quote

Likely one of the least expensive routes to cut weight.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Co-worker bought a polymer lower when I was telling him not to. He had to have it. Bought it after Sandy Hook. Paid around $400 for it.

He asked me much later why I didn't talk him out of it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#22]
We had one lower left in the shop recently.  It was pink and plastic.  Fella called looking for lowers.  Well, I have one.  It's pink and plastic.  $50.

He came and got it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Will we never learn poly bad no.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  Will we never learn poly bad no.
View Quote

Glock.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:47:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It’s pretty damn hard to go below 3 pounds on an AR without polymer receivers.
View Quote

Anything under 6lbs feels like a flyweight, to me. Trying to build a 3lb AR seems more like an obsession, than a practical matter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:00:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Threads like this make me appreciate the Kaiser receivers I got, there is aluminum reinforcements in the area between the grip and buffer tube threads, can even see it looking into the buffer retaining pin cut out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#28]
I used an ATI OMNI hybrid lower for awhile. I still have it but don't use it anymore. I swapped it out to an aluminum lower simply because aluminum looks more traditional. I have no problem with it and it worked fine for a lot of 5.56 rounds. I'd use it again without worry.
The Omni lower has a steel insert molded into the Tang and rear takedown area. The buffer tube screws into the steel insert.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have an ATI on a dedicated .22. I wouldn't even begin to consider one for 9mm.
View Quote

This is the only caliber I would feel comfortable for polymer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#30]
ATI OMNI hybrid lower: #37.05 !!! Wow.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
ATI OMNI hybrid lower: #37.05 !!! Wow.
View Quote

They are an in store stock item at Rural King, $30 and no transfer fee.
Anderson lowers are also a stock item at Rural King. They are usually $50 but sometimes $40, again, no transfer fee.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Some polymer lowers are greater than others, but they all have limitations.  I have a couple of New Frontiers with about 1,000rnds, no issues.  I've upgraded to Tennessee Arms brass reinforced poly lowers, including a pink plastic one thats in a 4.25lbs complete rifle so my daughter can hold it up for longer and get into shooting younger.

Mine were pretty cheap, $20-$33 each, but the main benefit is the weight savings.  Which, when you cut a few ounces everywhere, adds up.

My lightest, the Tennessee Arms clear lower, was actually the most expensive and was out of spec (the owner clearly states these are lowers with issues) but I bought that because after a little hand fitting it's an excellent educational tool and the lightest lower available.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a couple of poly lowers from Plum Crazy and New Frontier Armory. They have been very good so far with only the polymer push pins being the weak point. I don't know how many rounds have been fired down them but I have had them long enough that
I don't remember exactly when I got them . My poly lowers are all running very well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Some polymer lowers are greater than others, but they all have limitations.  I have a couple of New Frontiers with about 1,000rnds, no issues.  I've upgraded to Tennessee Arms brass reinforced poly lowers, including a pink plastic one thats in a 4.25lbs complete rifle so my daughter can hold it up for longer and get into shooting younger.

Mine were pretty cheap, $20-$33 each, but the main benefit is the weight savings.  Which, when you cut a few ounces everywhere, adds up.

My lightest, the Tennessee Arms clear lower, was actually the most expensive and was out of spec (the owner clearly states these are lowers with issues) but I bought that because after a little hand fitting it's an excellent educational tool and the lightest lower available.
View Quote

I have 2 of the TAC lowers also. Zero issues with a 22 build so far, it went together easily with no spec issues. I also have 5 Sabre lowers all the magwells had to be filed inside to accept and drop mags but they work. Gave 3 away.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  I have 2 of the TAC lowers also. Zero issues with a 22 build so far, it went together easily with no spec issues. I also have 5 Sabre lowers all the magwells had to be filed inside to accept and drop mags but they work. Gave 3 away.
View Quote

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Weight reduction at the time was my reason for Poly
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#37]
My first Omni broke right away. The warrantied one had cast aluminum surrounded by poly.

http://www.the22man.com/2015/11/building-a-pink-ar-the-adventure/

the picture is blurry. You can see the crack at the rear take down pin.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I have an older thread here where I was keeping track of a polymer80 build shooting 9mm.  I had over 2k rounds I think it was, with no breakage.  This was a weekly event.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top