Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 12:11:47 PM EDT
Midway usa has Polymer 80 lowers on sale right now I think its like $60 Any one have any experience with them? Their Glock lowers get excellent reviews but how about the Ar15 lowers?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes , but only on a 22LR build where it's just fine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the newer ATI polymer lower with the metal inserts and it works fine and is plenty tough enough for normal use.  I would still trust aluminum more if I was going to throw it off a roof or beat down a door with my stock. With the steel inserts it may be just as durable as aluminum but I still have my doubts.
I would avoid polymer lowers unless they are reinforced with steel in stress areas, especially the receiver extension area.
I paid $35 out the door for mine at Rural king but it's not an 80%.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
If you just want a plastic 80% lower to practice w/ before you start making aluminum chips, EP Armory is half the price you're quoting, OP.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get an aluminum 80% lower for $30-$40. Why even consider a $60 inferior polymer lower?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can get an aluminum 80% lower for $30-$40. Why even consider a $60 inferior polymer lower?
View Quote
The $60 Polymer80 kit includes the jig and the milling bits.  The $30-$40 aluminum lower does not, so there would be the additional $100-$200 for a jig and bits.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The $60 Polymer80 kit includes the jig and the milling bits.  The $30-$40 aluminum lower does not, so there would be the additional $100-$200 for a jig and bits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't be that great of a jig and same goes for the bits if they're included with the lower for only $60. Hell, a quality drill bit by itself will run you $10. I have a 5D jig with their tool kit and it is f**king awesome. I would go with an aluminum lower every time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can't be that great of a jig and same goes for the bits if they're included with the lower for only $60. Hell, a quality drill bit by itself will run you $10. I have a 5D jig with their tool kit and it is f**king awesome. I would go with an aluminum lower every time.
View Quote
I would imagine polymer doesn't require nearly as good of a drill bit, so it's probably more along the lines of a $0.50 piece.  It looks to be a single-use convenience kit, not something geared toward people doing lots of lowers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I want to get the aluminum 80% kit from either 5d or 80% arms but getting started is $300 as I dont have a router yet. My co worker used a dremel on his glock lower and it came out beautifully but wasn't sold on the polymer ar lower  pistols are one thing rifles are another story
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I want to get the aluminum 80% kit from either 5d or 80% arms but getting started is $300 as I dont have a router yet. My co worker used a dremel on his glock lower and it came out beautifully but wasn't sold on the polymer ar lower  pistols are one thing rifles are another story
View Quote
The AR lower will be completely different than finishing the Glock frame.  I think you'll still need a drill press or mill to finish the AR lower as it comes with a mill bit.  I personally think they feel cheap.  I have two untouched, and I'll do $60 shipped for the pair if you're interested.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Run away from any and all polymer AR-15 lowers that aren't CavArms.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Topic Moved
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top