Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2020 1:47:23 PM EDT
I was hoping to find some comparison pics but Not a single photo is viewable in the 4-year old mag review sticky.

Please post any photos you have of the internals of five round magazines.
How do different manufacturers get consistent feeding with such a short magazine?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#1]
They feed fine. Pretty much a 10 round body with a 5 rd spacer.
I use them all the time in my elk gun/LR308.  They are 10 rd, with a nylon spacer to get a 4 rd capacity.   I dremeled the spacer to get a 5th round, and the existing spring works.
Sorry, I’m not tearing one down for pics.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I gather from discussion here that they're not all the same.
Mine barely sticks out of the mag well and has no spacer.

Linking to past threads with pics would also work. I haven't found anything using Search.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, I know I have one , some where.  I recall it had a pin through it.  I bought it over 20 years ago and never used.  Bushmaster I think .

I’ll look
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I gather from discussion here that they're not all the same.
Mine barely sticks out of the mag well and has no spacer.

Linking to past threads with pics would also work. I haven't found anything using Search.
View Quote

I think that might be exactly like my 5 rd 5.56 mag, barely sticks out.    I’ve never used it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
You are half way lucky I was packing up to go to the range tomorrow.

But I'm not taking 'em apart to get to the springs :)

Left to right - ASC 5rnd 556, Duramag/CPD 10 round 762x39, Pmag 10rnd 556, and standard 20 round 556 (OK...)

The ASC is only 3.5 inches from the top of the lips to the bottom of the mag.   I don't think they just use a really compressed 20 round spring - loading the 5th round isn't much more than the first, and they all kinda feel like the middle 10 rounds on a 20 round mag.  The 10 round 762x39 mag feels more like the last 10 rounds in a 20 round mag, as does the Pmag.

Interestingly enough, the angle of the bottom on all 3 metal mags is the same, only difference on the mag body is overall length.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Mines a bushmaster.  You can see from the bottom plate that the take down is clued in place.  It has a green follower.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Both the five and ten aren’t really disassemble easily.  I don’t recall ever having issues with them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
My five round mag pictured above, has a bend in it unlike my ten pictured below which is straight and of a different construction.  Both I’ve had for 20 years I believe.  Green follower.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd like to post a picture of the unusual spring in my five round mag, but I can't figure out how to include a picture in my post.
I've tried links to imgur and Flickr but the picture doesn't show up. I've also tried manually typng in the bbcode.
Search here never gets me anywhere.
Someone tell me the trick so I can share.

CLICK
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#9]
No photo shoes up when I click the link.

Members get photo hosting.  That and the green arrow is the benefit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I can live without on-site photo hosting (tho I don't agree), I don't understand why my off-site photos don't show up.

A forum is for sharing, hurdles don't help.

My 5-rd mag doesn't have a spacer in the bottom. Instead it has a full-length spring but the bottom ~inch is wound with the coils touching.
I don't know if that's typical or strange since nobody else has posted a pic of their 5-rd internals.

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Tell you what OP, I will tear apart my 5 rd mag and show you mine for the low price of 24.00.   Share your money with ARFCOM and I’ll share my mag guts with you.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top