Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2020 1:26:20 AM EDT
Hey guys... long time lurker, first time poster

Looking to buy my first AR15 and can't decide if I should go DI or Piston. I have a budget of $2,100... scan stretch it to $2,300

Gunbroker has some nice options that's presenting me with this dilemma. Since colt went out of business and the LE6920's dried up. I was going to get a 16" BCM Recce 16 MCMR for $1,300... that's the low end of the budget

On the high end... I could get a Barrett REC 7 for $1900 or I could get a LWRC IC SPR 16" for about $1,900-$2,500 if I shop around

Doing some research.... and a few weeks of reading this site. I'm really leaning towards the LWRC but I have a good feeling a lot of you are going to reccommend the BCM and to spend the rest of my budget on ammo and training. But assume I have 5,000 rounds of ammo that fell off the back of a truck and the misses paying for my training as a birthday present... What would you choose?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:33:47 AM EDT
[#1]
KAC SR-15 CQB or Carbine
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:57:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Does budget include or exclude optic?  That's going to eat up quite a bit of it assuming you don't want just irons.

I know I'm going to get beat up for saying this...but if you want a nice piston gun with some budget left over for an optic, you can still find Christensen CA-15 Recons brand new.  They were $3,200 rifles I believe when they were selling full price...I picked mine up for $1,600 and I think they are $1,500 now.  That's with a carbon fiber barrel even.

Mine has a DPP/DEVO combo up top. Works a treat.

Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:10:00 AM EDT
[#3]
@hazmat

So you have ammo and training covered.  What is the purpose of the firearm?

Range toy?
Competition?
Zombie apocalypse?

And at what range do you intend to engage targets?  That will determine your optic, which can be a couple hundred for a red dot or a lot more for good glass for longer distances.

Aspects to consider.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:00:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@hazmat

So you have ammo and training covered.  What is the purpose of the firearm?

Range toy?
Competition?
Zombie apocalypse?

And at what range do you intend to engage targets?  That will determine your optic, which can be a couple hundred for a red dot or a lot more for good glass for longer distances.

Aspects to consider.
View Quote
I was definitely thinking zombie apocalypse and going red dot
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the gas piston.  I have a friend who owns the Barrett, nice rifle and he’s never had a problem of any kind.  Just purchase the gas piston AR that appeals to you, you’ll be a happy camper.  The Aimpoint T2 is a fine red dot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Pick your poison...just stay away from AA...they pretty much suck...

My three picks are LWRC, PWS and POF...

I currently own PWS and POF...
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#7]
personally, if you can swing it money wise, look at the sig mcx. i've had lots of LWRC pistons and have 2 now but the sig mcx is my new favorite. i feel it has a smoother recoil and you can have a side folder if thats your thing.

my LWRC IC M6 is a bit snappy.

edit to say: my lwrc’s have been 100% reliable thought, even with a broken return spring on the older model.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think I felt that, wow, lol. if you happen to have one of our products, let me know so i can see if i can get you back to your senses. JK [email protected]

-Phil
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a Sig 516 upper, from Sig's website, and drop it on the lower of your choosing. Buy an optic and you're done with money to spare for more ammo and training.

Accountant
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a POF.  Started keyholing after 2,000 rounds.  POF CS was awful and not helpful.

I have an AA, Adams Arms.  2,500 flawless rounds through it.

I would never buy another POF.  Even if they produced the only AR, they do not stand behind their products.
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#11]
LWRC 14.7” SPR was my first AR.  At the time I had zero knowledge about piston vs DI systems, or really AR’s in general.  I just wanted something quality that was going to last, and that happened to be at my lgs.  The ambi controls are great (wife is a southpaw so I got brownie points for that) and that delicious spiral fluted barrel didn’t help the cause.

At this point I have probably around 4K rounds though it, and I’ve yet to experience an issue that wasn’t my own fault.  My AR collection has definitely grown since then, but she’s still my baby.  I absolutely trust that rifle to work when I need it to.  My ONLY gripe is that LWRC still hasn’t come up with an m-lok platform for the piston rifles.  The quick piston access is nice, yeah, but I’d still prefer some m-lok slots.  Other than that, no complaints.  She’s a solid rifle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Get an HK 416 upper, MR556 lower and be done with it. Yes, you'd better be rich.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had a POF.  Started keyholing after 2,000 rounds.  POF CS was awful and not helpful.

I have an AA, Adams Arms.  2,500 flawless rounds through it.

I would never buy another POF.  Even if they produced the only AR, they do not stand behind their products.
View Quote
Was it a POF Puritan?

I only had to use POF c/s a long time ago and they were very helpful. It was on a 5.56 gun. Now I have their full size AR10.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Get PWS. It feels the most well balanced piston AR when compared to a DI. I also have a LWRC and an Adams Arms. They are good too, but not as balanced ae the PWS.  Also, PWS is an AK piston style. Can't get any better than that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get PWS. It feels the most well balanced piston AR when compared to a DI. I also have a LWRC and an Adams Arms. They are good too, but not as balanced ae the PWS.  Also, PWS is an AK piston style. Can't get any better than that.
View Quote
I too am impressed with my PWS, M114...one smooth shooting rifle.

As far as quality, also look at the LMT MRP CQB rifles, the KAC SR15 Mod 2, as thee are top shelf rifles that will serve you well and also keep their value.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I built three uppers using AA kits. I didn't have issues caused by their kits. Very curious why they sucked in your statement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Realizing this is the piston section, I still say SR-15 Mod 2.

If you just have to go piston, I’ll second the MCX recommendation.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I had an a LWRC M6A2..
I really wrung this one out at great number of the hardest carbine courses.

I dont recall ever having had a malfunction with it of any kind. In all weather including snow/mud etc.

But when they say nitriding as good as chrome lining.. its not.
I admit i shot a lot.. but by the time I sold it, I was on my 3rd barrel.
(admittedly they cheerfully replaced barrels under warranty even though I openly told them I was not the original purchaser.)

I do not think a chrome lined barrel would have worn out like that
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top