Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2020 5:48:22 PM EDT
Just purchased a Maxim Defense PDX, in 5.56, and am now considering my optic options. First thought was an Aimpoint H2/T2 but am open for suggestions. Obviously, something small and lightweight is important but so is quality. Will also be adding some good back-up irons, as well.
What are you guys using for optics, on your short-barreled pistols?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an rmr on my pistol.  Need to get a better mount.  Looking at the scalarworks leap.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got this today and mounted it up. It is a green dot by Holosun. Model HE 403 GL-GR. I found it for a great price at Joe Bob's. First impressions I really like it. As soon as I get my replacement barrel back I can't wait to try it out. It is a real clear dot, clear glass and the dot goes from super dim to super bright. That is a mount I bought from Primary Arms that is discontinued now.

Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Dig Romeo5. Holosun 507c
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm really liking the Holosun 510.  Planning on getting a couple more.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with your first thought...
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/O7YT6meh.jpg
View Quote
I was looking into getting an open emitter Holosun. Any issues with crud/rain messing with the reticle? Their website says they come in over 8oz.. a bit more than my TA44. Is this correct? They look a lot lighter than that. The website also states the 403c comes in around 4oz, so who knows.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Eotech 512

1X6 Strike Eagle
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#8]
A friend of mine is a Trijicon dealer. I think he's going to let me try out an MRO, on my PDX.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A friend of mine is a Trijicon dealer. I think he's going to let me try out an MRO, on my PDX.
View Quote
Go with your first thought...Aimpoint T2. It's a better optic than the MRO and the mounting pattern is more universal if you want to switch mounts in the future.

Or, you could go with the new Vortex Razor 1-10 and add a canted red dot(Delta Point Pro) if you needed it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just purchased a Maxim Defense PDX, in 5.56, and am now considering my optic options. First thought was an Aimpoint H2/T2 but am open for suggestions. Obviously, something small and lightweight is important but so is quality. Will also be adding some good back-up irons, as well.
View Quote
I've got a Holosun 503G-ACSS and a SIG Juliet 3 on my 11.3" Since the 3x is QD, I could leave it off until need if I wanted. Toying with replacing it with a Vortex Mini 3x (shorter/lighter/smidge better eyebox - although the J3's eyebox is fine). Also toying with just going with a Swampfox Arrowhead in 1-6, LOL!

It really depends on what hard and fast limits you set for expected distances, size and weight. I use Offset 407c's on all my stuff - F Irons.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Sig Romeo MSR
I love this sight. It works well and seems bullet proof. Great price point.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Current 9" 300BLK flipup Magpul MBUS.  Was running the Sightmark Wolverine and 3x tactical magnifier, but the added about 1.5 lbs to the gun.  Gave the Wolverine away and will be purchasing the new Eotech for 300BLK, as well as a Primary Arms 3x mag.  Both come in at 2/3 the weight.

Current 6.5" 300BLK build will only run Scalarworks Peak fixed sights.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Vortex Venon mounted with their branded co-witness mount which is made by samson.

I like it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I run a TA33 on my Daniel Defence 10.3 300 blk works for me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I run a TA33 on my Daniel Defence 10.3 300 blk works for me.
View Quote
I've got a TA33 on my Colt XM177E2 and like it alot but I want something smaller, on my PDX. Have tried out an Aimpoint T1 and Trijicon MRO. My personal preference is the MRO, so far. Really like the larger FOV and adjustment knob on top.
Plan to use either a LaRue, ADM, or Midwest Ind QD mount. Don't know enough about the Skalarworks mounts, yet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#16]
MRO is good.
" />
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Sig Romeo 5
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Sig Romeo 5 or the Holosun 512c have been aces for me. I really like the features of the 512c, solar back up, reticle options, sleek and at 8.2 oz is about the perfect SBR / Pistol optic IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sig Romeo 5 or the Holosun 512c have been aces for me. I really like the features of the 512c, solar back up, reticle options, sleek and at 8.2 oz is about the perfect SBR / Pistol optic IMHO.
View Quote
That Holosun HS512C looks like an interesting optic. Might have to check one of those out, more thoroughly. However, at $350 or so, they're not that much cheaper than a Trijicon MRO.
FWIW, I have zero experience with a holographic-style optic.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm really liking the Holosun 510.
View Quote
I like mine also on the 11.5". It's turned out to be very solid.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/O7YT6meh.jpg
View Quote
Yup, just got one for an 11.85 SBR.  It's awesome to say the least.  The field of view and reticle clarity is unreal and that is from someone with astigmatism.
I did grab the 1/3 riser as i like a touch more upright.  I may have gone with the 512 but there is no option for a riser that I know of, only absolute cw.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Holosun really makes some feature-packed optics. The more I learn about their stuff, the better it looks. Their  HE515GM-GR Elite is one optic I'm seriously interested in.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Comp M5
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#24]
A Maxim PDX has a 5.5" barrel and is only 18.75" long. I don't want nor need a 6" - 12" long optic.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Comp M5
View Quote
Same here
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:24:42 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
+1 for the MRO.  Swapped out the factory mount for an American Defense QD, love it!
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Run whatever you want. My Daniel Defense MK18 pistol has an EOTech 518 on it. My Aero Precision 12.3 build has a Holosun 403R on it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I've run a T1, Romeo5, PA Advanced, Bushnell T25 on my pistols. The Sig and the T1 are solid. I wouldn't hesitate to try a MRO either.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Eotech 553 and aimpoint comp m
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I've used an EOTech XPS2, Aimpoint T1, and a PA Micro Dot.  While I would recommend all of them for different reasons, I still have the T1 on my AR15 pistol.  While the EOTech comes very close, in a life-or-death situation I trust Aimpoint more than the others.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Go with your first thought...
View Quote
This.  If the budget allows for an Aimpoint, no sense looking elsewhere.  PA red dot on my pistol, b/c I was going sort of cheap on this one using parts I already had in the bin.  An Aimpoint would be better in every conceivable way IMO.  I had an older PA red dot that crapped out under light use.

The big question is which mount you want!

ETA: I hated my MRO, sold it and upped to the Aimpoint.  MRO had tint and the "magnification" just bothered me.

Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#32]
My eyes are too old for most, if not all micro red dots. Wasn't impressed with the Trijicon MRO, either. Right now, I'm looking the hardest at either a Holosun Hs515GM or a Primary Arms Cyclops with the ACSS reticle. Both seem to work very well, for folks with astigmatism.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted: I was looking into getting an open emitter Holosun. Any issues with crud/rain messing with the reticle? Their website says they come in over 8oz.. a bit more than my TA44. Is this correct?
View Quote
Apologies, should've answered in my previous post. Have not been out in heavy rain, but morning fog a few times so thick I could stand there & watch it coat my stuff.  No issues.  (Never had issues with a C-More I  had either in the rain.  Quality tells I guess.)  The weight, with battery & mount, is 7 oz, measured on the digital scale I weigh-in bass with.  It's a small, light footprint on the upper and doesn't affect balance one iota, or it'd be gone.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My eyes are too old for most, if not all micro red dots. Wasn't impressed with the Trijicon MRO, either. Right now, I'm looking the hardest at either a Holosun Hs515GM or a Primary Arms Cyclops with the ACSS reticle. Both seem to work very well, for folks with astigmatism.
View Quote
The Swampfox Blade is available for pre-order and supposed to be in stock the 23rd...1x prism with some pretty appealing features. Looks like a pretty strong option for those who don't get along well with red dots. There's also a 20% off code right now (SARGE20). Might be worth a look, I think it's going to up the ante on the Cyclops. I couldn't resist, pre-ordered yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted: The Swampfox Blade is available for pre-order and supposed to be in stock the 23rd...1x prism with some pretty appealing features. Looks like a pretty strong option for those who don't get along well with red dots. There's also a 20% off code right now (SARGE20). Might be worth a look, I think it's going to up the ante on the Cyclops. I couldn't resist, pre-ordered yesterday.
View Quote
The PA Cyclops and Swampfox Blade are almost identical, since Mike once worked for PA. They sure look alot alike. Main reason I'm not going with the Blade is they're only available in black and FDE won't be available, for quite some time.
FDE Cyclops are available now, plus they are $50 cheaper. ($239 vs $289)
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The PA Cyclops and Swampfox Blade are almost identical, since Mike once worked for PA. They sure look alot alike. Main reason I'm not going with the Blade is they're only available in black and FDE won't be available, for quite some time.
View Quote
Price difference is a wash with the code. I paid $236 with shipping. Given the complaints I have seen about the tiny reticle in the Cyclops, I think the Blade is a better option for fast, close-quarters use, which is about all they're good for IMO.

But then again, I haven't tried either one so I'm mostly just blowing air here. There are plenty of satisfied Cyclops owners I'm sure, and if FDE is a must-have, then your choice is clear.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Price difference is a wash with the code. I paid $236 with shipping. Given the complaints I have seen about the tiny reticle in the Cyclops, I think the Blade is a better option for fast, close-quarters use, which is about all they're good for IMO.

But then again, I haven't tried either one so I'm mostly just blowing air here. There are plenty of satisfied Cyclops owners I'm sure, and if FDE is a must-have, then your choice is clear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the reticle in the cyclops was too small. I also prefer to have an OFF setting between each of power settings.

I'm using a ta44 on my truck gun and really like it. I just wish it was a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I thought the reticle in the cyclops was too small. I also prefer to have an OFF setting between each of power settings.

I'm using a ta44 on my truck gun and really like it. I just wish it was a few hundred dollars cheaper.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/105781/20200309_191524_jpg-1309895.JPG
View Quote
That is a sweet rig! I too wish the TA44's were more affordable. I haven't ever seen one but it sounds to be the perfect balance optic for said application.

What's the OAL on that pistol collapsed?

A reptillia CQG grip with 20 rounder would be perfect on that setup.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That is a sweet rig! I too wish the TA44's were more affordable. I haven't ever seen one but it sounds to be the perfect balance optic for said application.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a hair over 18.5".

And I've been looking for something a little more verticle for a grip, but I'm worried if I find something I like better, I'll have to switch all me MOE's.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Came to post this. The CQG is my new favorite grip.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
How's the eye relief on that TA44 with the brace? I've heard it's like looking through a straw...never had one in my hands though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How's the eye relief on that TA44 with the brace? I've heard it's like looking through a straw...never had one in my hands though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the ta44 has about the same eye relief as the ta33.

I also dont notice the straw thing as I use it with both eyes open like a red dot.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think the ta44 has about the same eye relief as the ta33.

I also dont notice the straw thing as I use it with both eyes open like a red dot.
View Quote
Gotcha...thanks. I suspect a TA44 or 55 would be just about the perfect optic for an all 'round pistol.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I am running a Romeo 5 XDR because I wanted to be able have the circle-dot reticle but also have the ability to go to just a dot. I do like it a lot but I won't lie, once I have the funds for a MRO HD this Romeo will get replaced.

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Received my new Primary Arms Cyclops optic, today. Was concerned I wouldn't be able to see the reticle very well but fortunately, that's not the case at all. Its adjustable diopter is just the fix, for older eyes/those with astigmatism.

Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a handful of all sorts of shit (sig, vortex, eotech).

MRO all the way. In a low mount if you’re not running a FSB. Mo-betta cheek weld.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a Vortex AMG UH-1 ("Huey") Red Dot Holographic sight on my Saint Edge Pistol.  Lifetime warranty.  Got it on Amazon (w/o tax).  Zeroed in on the lower dot for around 17 yds and the middle dot at around 50 yds (which I understand is also good for 200 yds given the ballistic path).  I can dim the target reticle (red) and try to keep it as dim as possible to not interfere in low light CQB in home-defense.  The lever rail securing system is tight and even after repeated times removing the UH-1 and reattaching it, still is accurate.  No drift over time or shooting.  Battery life is not as advertised, however.  Advertised as 1,500 hours but I found I got about 7 months of normal usage with medium brightness setting.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Not a pistol, but I love this RMR on my 7.5" SBR

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Another MRO fan, this one's on a Scalarworks mount:

It's light with a great FOV.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top