Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2021 6:57:08 PM EDT
Got a serious question how many people here use the standard screws that come with Magpul grips and other brands. Also how many people trash those and use 1/4x28 cap and socket screws?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Why? To what end?

And to answer your question no I do not, I just use whatever it comes with and nary problem.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Allen Screw much easier to install.

Slotted Screw much easier to tighten in the field if it comes loose.

Allen Wrenches rare on the ground, screwdrivers everywhere.

(Same decision as for 1911 grips)
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Did magpul change their screw? It's both a flat head and a hex head on mine.so you can do both of those things

These
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep them all

And I remove my trigger when I put them in so I can make sure it’s not portruding into the pocket.

I keep them all, just in case.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Why I am asking is I was following a post on a Facebook page today. A individual had bought a fully assembled lower. He tried to remove the pistol grip. The Phillips head screw that the manufacture installed stripped out. He had to take the lower receiver to a gunsmith. When I suggested he replace the screw with a 1/4x28 hex head from fastenal the admin. of the page started calling me and anyone else who suggested that ignorant. When I questioned the guy on his level of knowledge and education level he promptly booted me out of the group.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why I am asking is I was following a post on a Facebook page today. A individual had bought a fully assembled lower. He tried to remove the pistol grip. The Phillips head screw that the manufacture installed stripped out. He had to take the lower receiver to a gunsmith. When I suggested he replace the screw with a 1/4x28 hex head from fastenal the admin. of the page started calling me and anyone else who suggested that ignorant. When I questioned the guy on his level of knowledge and education level he promptly booted me out of the group.
View Quote

It’s exhausting isn’t it?

I have a wonderful memory rich life in aviation. It’s a huge part of who I am.

But I’ll be damned if I ever share about it on the internet.

Every cliff claven finds a way to ruin it in a second.

Gun guys are a little better

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Allen head screws are a pain in the arse. A standard l-key won't tighten the screw enough using the short end for a handle and the short end is, well, too short to reach. This means you need a t-handle to reach and tighten correctly. Many people don't have them. I've used every type of screw head made, and the best thing I've found is a stainless steel Phillips head screw that takes a number 3 screwdriver. With a pan head on the screw and the large number 3 driver, they're easy to drive and stay tight. If you ever come across one that was over-tightened or Loctited in place, a number three bit in an adapter for a 3/8" ratchet will get the sucker loose. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

What page was this?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#9]
SOLGW owners page.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Respect muh authority!"

Cap screws work fine. FB is full of ignorance and a waste of many things.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
SOLGW owners page.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I replace all grips screws with flat head screws.
A long flat head driver is more common than a long Allen key.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the problem was that by showing there are other options it looked like they were using inferior quality parts in their lowers. I mean when someone has to drill out a screw to remove a pistol grip something is wrong. Granted their application of lock tight on the screw and over torquing the fastener could have been the root cause it was like how dare you suggest using a different fastener. We are the experts and you will not criticize, critique or question anything we do!
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I took a screenshot of the lower with the screw stuck in it but haven’t posted here in a long time and can’t figure out how to use my photobucket account. When I get my photo bucket account squared away I will post a picture.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been working some type of maintenance for past 27 years. Been working on helicopters for 20 plus years. The guy who got so bent out of shape had no education and probably never done anything in his life.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like you're better off without them. It's unfortunate, but the world is full of assholes that think everything has to be a confrontation. Civil disagreements are the core of expanding ones mind. Some people clearly lack the capacity to grow. Their loss, I say.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I prefer the Magpul ones with the combo flathead/hex design. If you don’t have those, slotted pan head screws. I have a shrouded driver that stays centered on those so the blade doesn’t walk out of the slot.

Some vendors provide cap screws. I’ve used them years ago, but I think all those grips are gone. Today I would go to the trouble to replace them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow didn’t know they actually sell that part on their website. Wish I would have known that yesterday. I would have posted a link to it!
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#21]
https://app.photobucket.com/u/blackhawktech/a/ea55357f-1027-41eb-ab53-3b4774def529/p/af49c3c1-16fc-42da-a8cf-1dfa51806314
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did magpul change their screw? It's both a flat head and a hex head on mine.so you can do both of those things

These
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These

The Magpul screw is the best one available. The only downside is that it's a different hex size than the more common cap screws. I wish they'd sell them separately.

Quoted:

If you described it that way I'd call you out also. You're just describing a common bolt.  A fastener for an AR15 grip is a hex drive or allen head drive screw.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#23]
What I described was going down to fastenal and buying a 1/4x28 hex head screw almost identical to the one they sell on their website but not shiny stainless steel. LoL
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top