Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2021 3:36:21 PM EDT
Is there any legal issue using the same brace on multiple AR pistols?  I wouldn't think so but I'm just now getting familiar with the legalities of building a pistol so I'll be turning to y'all as things progress.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is there any legal issue using the same brace on multiple AR pistols?  I wouldn't think so but I'm just now getting familiar with the legalities of building a pistol so I'll be turning to y'all as things progress.
View Quote

Not currently, but who know what the future holds under this administration.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
in general no, but with biden's coming EO potentially banning them i might hold off on one a bit to see exactly what the law will be regarding them.
View Quote

They will just charge you $200 for the privilege.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

and if i am going to sbr, i am not using a brace.
View Quote

Big 10-4
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I already had a brace, I just wanted to make sure you didn't need an individual brace for each pistol.  Things being what they are I probably won't be able to afford to build two pistols anyway.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#7]
There’s no law saying you can’t swap one brace between multiple pistols.
For now, anyways...

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, the current commie in chief is a walking (well sort of) sack of constitutional infringements.  They hate freedom and everything the constitution stands for.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#9]
You are fine with just one brace.

Remember, you don't even NEED a brace to have a pistol.    Your pistol is still a pistol, brace or no brace.  The only time your pistol changes to something else is if you put a stock on it (SBR/Rifle), or a 90 degree VFG (AOW or Firearm depending on Barrel Length and Overall Length).
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, the current commie in chief is a walking (well sort of) sack of constitutional infringements.  They hate freedom and everything the constitution stands for.
View Quote

One thing missing from this thread is a pistol in only a pistol if the lower is sold or registered as one.  If the lower is a 'rifle lower' and you put a brace on it and the barrel is shorter than 16" it is an SBR and needs an NFA stamp.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

One thing missing from this thread is a pistol in only a pistol if the lower is sold or registered as one.  If the lower is a 'rifle lower' and you put a brace on it and the barrel is shorter than 16" it is an SBR and needs an NFA stamp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.    It doesn't have to be sold or "registered" as a pistol.  It only needs not to have been a rifle initially.   Lowers are sold all the time as stripped lowers.  It's not a rifle or a pistol until you build one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lowers are sold as "other", neither pistol nor rifle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No.    It doesn't have to be sold or "registered" as a pistol.  It only needs not to have been a rifle initially.   Lowers are sold all the time as stripped lowers.  It's not a rifle or a pistol until you build one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the biggest misconception around. Its about time someone correctly addressed it.

Generally, there is no such thing as a "registered" rifle/pitsol lower unless its an SBR or leaves the factory as a pistol or rifle lower (sometimes even these don't count). When you buy a stripped lower from a dealer, they fill the background check out as "other" and upon completion of the transaction, they are to write "receiver" in the type of firearm sold section. That is it. Theres no registering a gun as anything other than what it entered/left the shop in. If you take your stripped lower and build into a rifle, then decide you want to turn that receiver into a pistol, YOU CAN.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:34:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Our lowers are stripped lowers purchased new as "other".  I know enough to not make that mistake at least
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lowers are sold as "other", neither pistol nor rifle.
View Quote

What happens during a sale or transfer a built AR?  Is it sold as 'other' or does it get listed as rifle or pistol?

Does the term pistol-rifle-pistol=okay only referred to purchased-manufactured ARs?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What happens during a sale or transfer a built AR?  Is it sold as 'other' or does it get listed as rifle or pistol?

Does the term pistol-rifle-pistol=okay only referred to purchased-manufactured ARs?
View Quote

A "built" AR is not a stripped lower.  If sold through an FFL it will be logged as whatever configuration it is in at the time.  A manufactured AR will be logged as whatever configuration it is in at the time of transfer.  A stripped lower is neither a pistol nor a rifle when transferred.  Once you possess a stripped lower you can call it whatever you want, because you are the only person who will ever know.  I choose to call them pistols, and then I can build them into whatever I want thereafter and however many times I wish.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A manufactured AR will be logged as whatever configuration it is in at the time of transfer.  A stripped lower is neither a pistol nor a rifle when transferred.  Once you possess a stripped lower you can call it whatever you want, because you are the only person who will ever know.
View Quote

To clarify:  Does "manufactured" mean even home built at the time of transfer?  Or does a manufactured have to come from a builder already built?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

To clarify:  Does "manufactured" mean even home built at the time of transfer?  Or does a manufactured have to come from a builder already built?
View Quote

When an AR is transferred through an FFL it makes no difference where it was manufactured.  If it is a completed rifle it will be logged as such, same for pistol.  I have never bought an assembled AR, only lowers that I assembled.  If I were to sell one and ship it so the transfer were to go through an FFL it would be logged as a rifle or pistol, as appropriate, and the receiving FFL will not be concerned as to it's origin.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who is going to know?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Who is going to know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is going to know?

When I posed the question we were still pre Colorado shooting, or at least pre scrutiny on pistols.  Now....you're right, who knows.  The only thing you can guarantee is that the democrats will never let a tragedy go waste and will ride emotions instead of intellect as far as they can.  At this point in America there is nothing slimier than a democratic politician or leftist media member.

As it stands with the lack of availability, the cost when you do find a part and the government's infringement of the second amendment, our (my sister and I) pistol builds may never happen.  Especially since we need two of almost everything at this point.  Hopefully not but I'm not in the financial position to overcome these hurdles.  I need a gun parts sponsor lol.  They supply the parts and I wear their logo clothing everywhere I go
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

When I posed the question we were still pre Colorado shooting, or at least pre scrutiny on pistols.  Now....you're right, who knows.  The only thing you can guarantee is that the democrats will never let a tragedy go waste and will ride emotions instead of intellect as far as they can.  At this point in America there is nothing slimier than a democratic politician or leftist media member.

As it stands with the lack of availability, the cost when you do find a part and the government's infringement of the second amendment, our (my sister and I) pistol builds may never happen.  Especially since we need two of almost everything at this point.  Hopefully not but I'm not in the financial position to overcome these hurdles.  I need a gun parts sponsor lol.  They supply the parts and I wear their logo clothing everywhere I go
View Quote

You can build the pistols, with just buffer tube and wait for the brace (don't forget to wrap it w paracords while waiting).  Unless you don't have any parts, then it is a different ending to this story.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top