Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2019 11:33:00 AM EDT
I’m going to pin a low profile gas block in an upcoming build. Every low profile pinned gas block  I’ve seen come from the factory uses a heavy roll pin. I’ve done taper pin installs on FSBs before... any issue with installing a low pro gas block with a single taper pin instead of a heavy roll pin? I would think a solid taper pin is both more secure and creates a tighter gas seal than a round roll pin.

I already have the everything onhand to do a taper pin.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Solid pin > roll pin

That being said foreign rifles use roll pins without issue.. the super reliable hk416 is one of them (both on the GB and bayo lug).. if the germanz can do it..
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I've done a couple of roll pins for a friend that has a pretty rare Class III M16.... he bought a couple of  barrels with set screws holding the low profile gas block... I just milled a flat and drilled for a roll pin...worked fine for full auto use for him
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m not worried about roll pins working... I know they work and have a few factory barrel assemblies that use them. But to DIY this upcoming build with a rollnpin I’d have to get some 1/8” roll pins and (I assume) a slightly undersized drill bit.

I already have taper pins, drills, and hand taper reamers... so it’s free. I just want to make sure there’s no reason NOT to do a single taper pin installnof a gas block
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
No problem then.
Especially if the gas block is not exposed.

Btw The geissele super has block is designed to use one single pin.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I tend to use coiled roll pins.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No problem then.
Especially if the gas block is not exposed.

Btw The geissele super has block is designed to use one single pin.
View Quote
This is what I was coming to post.  My Geissele gas block has been 100% pinned.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Use a dowel pin
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Daniel Defense and, IIRC, Noveske use single taper pins on their LPGBs that come pinned from the factory.

If you're able to do it, that's the route I'd go.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top