Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2018 3:38:59 AM EDT
This is my first post. I've tried searching and reading through other sections and tacked threads and haven't found anything. Maybe it's cause this is a dumb question...

I've never used a red dot of any kind. Don't know if I've actually ever even seen one. I am considering buying one, with my eye on the Holosun ACSS model.

My question is, how does this style of optic perform at night, when used in conjunction with a mounted weapon light? Is there a glare in the glass from the flashlight? Will there be reflection issues or light transmission issues that affect the view or sight picture? Are there other potential problems? Does it depend on which model and make you use?

Again, I really have no reference point for any of this. I am not experienced in the use of any optics at all. And as far as night shooting, I've only used iron sights on a pistol at night with a mounted weapon light.

Any pictures of the sight picture or anything like that would be great, especially if anyone has any experience with the Holosun ACSS that I am interested in.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:15:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Just tested this with my Aimpoint PRO with a 200 lumen weapon light. No glare whatsoever, just a clear well lit sight picture. The brightness of the dot will need to be turned up because it’s like shooting in bright daylight, but no issues.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no glare at all but like the first poster said, you're going to have your setting a bit higher so you can see it better.

I have mine mounted forward and offset from the BUIS or front sight block so that I won't lose the ability to see it  effectively should the emergency arrives to use it.

My suggestion is to sign up for a night carbine course. Be prepared to learn so much more.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for y'all's input, it's helpful!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top