Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2018 11:54:38 PM EDT
Specifically looking at the Revolution;

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/revolution/

Seems like it'd make for just about the perfect DMR/Recce/CQB-to-Long-Range/"Do-all" platform, especially with a 1-6x or 1-8x LPVO mounted on top, and my local range has multiple for sale as well as one available to rent. And being a lefty the fully ambidextrous lower is a huge plus.

Wanting to know if POF is generally good quality? When they malfunction/break, what's the usual weak link?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about weak points. But I have a POF P-415 that is solid I'd definitely buy from them again.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Great rifles.

They are my 3rd favorite to LMT (1st) and LWRC (2nd).
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it's an innovative short stroke system, and if memory serves they put in for the IAR trials.  I know they can be heavy, and have proprietary rails.

I had a 416 for a while, good rifle.  Wound up selling it to get a PWS, but sometimes I get the hankering for another POF.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Iraqveteran8888 did a meltdown on a POF upper and it ran for more than 2,000 rounds without a failure requiring parts replacement or gun smithing.  They did have stuck case heads and the throat of the barrel eroded enough that it would no longer operate in full auto, but it would still fire.  Tough little gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you are looking for a piston operated rifle but just fyi, POF just announced a di version of the Revolution in .308 and 6.5c. Only 6.8lbs. There is a link to the vid in the variants section.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I did see the announcement of the 6.5CM and DI variants. I'm mostly interested in the piston version, though at this point the choice between 308 and 6.5 is a bit of a toss up (assuming the 6.5 is available with a 16" barrel)
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a Minuteman & Puritan.  Both ran great and I didnt' have any problems with them.  However, I only had those guns for a short period of time and didn't run a large quantity of ammo through them.

I did find their recoil to be "sharper" than the various LWRC that I shot side-by-side with the POFs.

The E2 (fluted chamber) helped with cheap steel case Russian ammo.  I had stuck cases with several LWRC, but never with a POF.

Love the roller cam pin, and factory one-piece trigger group (from a pull / not durability perspective).
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I do feel it is important to add ...

I ended up selling my piston ARs (still have an Adams Arms I'm trying to move) in favor of DI.  I owned DI ARs for decades leading up to trying piston guns (for about 3-4 years) before moving back to DI.  Outside of a slightly cleaner chamber / upper receiver I couldn't find any other improvements over DI.  The piston guns were heavier, used proprietary parts, and were less reliable than high quality DI options (BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, etc).

I had quite a few different LWRC and they all had reliability issues with Wolf steel case.  Before someone says "87 octane in a Ferrari" ... I call BS on that line of thought.  If piston guns are so reliable .. they should run anything.  I had my first quality DI failure attributable to Wolf ammo a couple of weeks ago. I was shooting my brand new Colt 6933 upper on my pistol lower, and had a case get stuck in the chamber.  This is an 11.5" DI gun ... so it could be because I was running a carbine buffer and not a H or H1.  Time will tell.  Its my first AR pistol.

My POF guns only saw 500 or so rounds, but worked fine.  I didn't like some of the assembly details like unstaked castle nuts, and nitrided barrels.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The San Bernardino Sheriffs dept put 68,000 rounds through a full auto P308 trying to wreck it. They finally gave up. Oh, and it still shot a little over 1 MOA when they were done.

After Action Report
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The San Bernardino Sheriffs dept put 68,000 rounds through a full auto P308 trying to wreck it. They finally gave up. Oh, and it still shot a little over 1 MOA when they were done.

After Action Report
View Quote
Now THAT is some good info...

Keep it coming everyone, you're talking me into spending money here!
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I intended to rent a Revolution when I went to the range tonight, but when I got there the staff said their rental example was "down for maintenance." I inquired as to whether that meant regular wear-and-tear maintenance or if something had broken but they didn't have the answer for me tonight. They've got a note for their maintenance employee to get in touch when he's next in to talk to me about what the issue is, as well as the overall quality and reliability of their rental sample. Guess I have another excuse to get back to the range again soon when they have whatever the issue is fixed, but for now no shooting update...
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]
My Puritan upper was a POS.  POF customer service was awful.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:40:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I have several. 308, 223 and a revolution.

They are all well built and reliable.

I have always had great customer service from POF.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Gen 2, Gen3, Gen4. All in 308. Have never had problem one, what so ever. All are super accurate and reliable with factory loads and all kinds and country's of mil surp going back to 1978. When we have firearm quals at work and we all bring personal stuff to shoot afterwards, everyone who shoots any of my POF's fall in love with them. Having never had functional issues, I have not dealt with their CS for problems. I have dealt with them, asking about upgrading parts and about switching buffer tubes, springs, etc. They have always gotten back to me quickly, and were honest about things not needed even when they could have made money off of me otherwise. In my opinion most people on here that rag on them, and there used to be plenty, were people that bought POF parts(sometimes used) for builds and when their builds were shit, they blame POF, and then when POF's CS won't tell them what they want to hear, or ruins their day by giving them pesky facts, they blame POF. I'm nobody's fan boy, as I will no doubt be called after posting this. But then again, I have a DPMS 308 that has been flawless for over 10 years, and we all know from this site that DPMS builds nothing but crap.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought a 415 late 2012. Barrel had issues, serious bend in it. I contacted POF and they gave me the run around. Long story short, after shipping back and forth twice, they refused to replace the upper, let alone the barrel. Chucked it off to friend who was aware of it and bought LWRC. I posted this issue without following up in their industry forum.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:23:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, I went back to my range/store/gunsmith today (they're all in the same building) to drop my pistol off for some work. While I was there I went to ask about the rental Revolution. I noticed it was back on the rental rack - with a large "out of service" sign hanging on it...Asked as to why it hadn't been fixed since the last time I was there, the range attendant informed me that it had been fixed - And then it immediately broke again.

POF Revolution is off my list of options
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:44:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Or just get a PWS. Super clean,lightweight, balanced.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, I went back to my range/store/gunsmith today (they're all in the same building) to drop my pistol off for some work. While I was there I went to ask about the rental Revolution. I noticed it was back on the rental rack - with a large "out of service" sign hanging on it...Asked as to why it hadn't been fixed since the last time I was there, the range attendant informed me that it had been fixed - And then it immediately broke again.

POF Revolution is off my list of options
View Quote
Did they say what the issues were yet?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
…….…………...BUEHLER?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
The individual I talked to didn't know the specifics, only that both times it had broken it was "not from usual wear and tear".
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Specifically looking at the Revolution;

Seems like it'd make for just about the perfect DMR/Recce/CQB-to-Long-Range/"Do-all" platform, especially with a 1-6x or 1-8x LPVO mounted on top, and my local range has multiple for sale as well as one available to rent. And being a lefty the fully ambidextrous lower is a huge plus.

Wanting to know if POF is generally good quality? When they malfunction/break, what's the usual weak link?
View Quote
I likely won't get a ton of rounds through it while on leave, but I have Revolution waiting for me, a lightweight mount and 1-6X to add...specifically for that purpose.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Wish I would have never sold my POF...solid guns man.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had both a POF 308 and 415 for bout 5 years now. Never a single problem of any kind . Both shoot well under 1 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups when I do my part.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I fly in tomorrow evening, so the plan is to pick up my POF Revolution on Wednesday.  Given the crappy weather, we likely won't get it to the range until later in the week...I need to do it before my wife is out of school, I won't have much trigger time after that

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ive heard that compliant many times over the years. My friend had to send his 1st Gem P308, which had many FTF and FTE, problems back 3X before it was fixed. Fortunately my POF P308 and PO 415 have never had a single problem.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I've owned one since 2012 and love it. I have a P308 with the NP3 coating. I haven't had a single failure!
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I will say that I did have issues with their customer service which was pretty damn bad. I loved the rifle but I actually had one of their representatives get rude with me and p*ssed me off.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#28]
POF is good to go, only beef i have ever had from them is they seem to come up with a new thingamadoodle button or revision more than any company out there. Also that burn down on youtube from iraqvet was all steel case ammo as well, so the ak guys can put that in the pipe and smoke it
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I will say that I did have issues with their customer service which was pretty damn bad. I loved the rifle but I actually had one of their representatives get rude with me and p*ssed me off.
View Quote
Not sure when your experience was, but I had a few questions (getting some spare parts on hand) and they were very helpful.  I did try and get them to tell me how they weighed their POF Revolution.  Their listed weight is 7.3lbs (or 7lbs, 4.8oz), mine weighed in at 7lbs 8.8oz.  My assumption is they didn't weigh their rifle with that massive brake on it...but I couldn't get anything definitive from them.  Needless to say, the thre times I contacted them with questions, they responded quickly, courteous, and overall, quite helpful.

I only got a few hundred rounds through my Revolution when home.  It really does feel like a 5.56 when shooting.  Ironically, my son's girlfriend, who weighs about 100lbs and is petite loved shooting the POF; and it was her first time on a gun range and shooting anything!  I'm curious how much of that really is the brake as I want to switch it out with the lighter SEI Vortex (and eventually a flash suppressor host for a QD suppressor.  I'm still torn on the stock.  It works, but feels a little odd. I know it's a main reason they can keep the listed weight down, but the jury is still out on it for me.  Accuracy was spectacular.  I put a Sig TANGO 6 on it for most of the shooting, and it was sub MOA for me, but my son struggled to keep it at an inch.  No complaints with the trigger as we had some Geissele triggers to compare and it felt like a match-styled setup; broke crisply.  It also helps on rapid fire, which surprised me as my FALs beat me up if I try and run certain drills involving multiple targets and rapid engagements.  There was almost no muzzle rise perceived from myself.

I love the base weight.  Not sure if I would have chosen the DI Revolution to cut another half pound, but I'm toying with optics to keep the overall weight down.  Next up when I get home in May is an ACOG TA11 LED...it's less magnification, but much lighter.  Another option is Leupold's VX-R 1-4x patrol.  I won't get to stretch the distance out until this summer, but I'm sure it will meet my needs with a maximum range out to 400-500 meters; I just want to avoid the heavier glass options.

Fit and finish is perfect.  It's a smooth action and the ambi-features are a big bonus for me.  I couldn't be more satisfied with the POF Revolution decision...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I have been running POF Gas piston rigs since my introduction to them in 2007. I like the gas system a great deal and while there are certainly some detractors, my experience with them has been exceptional. I own 3 P415's and a CMR (Revolution) and none have had any issues whatsoever. I can't speak to how accurate they are in terms of MOA, but for my expected performance, they get the job done without fail. I haven't had much time behind the CMR, but with my short amount of time with it - I like it a lot. My only complaint with any of the POF gas rigs, is that the increased rail height makes using optics (Trijicon ACOG's e.g.) makes it difficult for those who maintain a natural stockweld.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#31]
This is the first generation p416 from them. Solid as hell.
https://ibb.co/Z1FMm4L
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#32]
IMO POF is leading the short stroke AR arena.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Iraqveteran8888 did a meltdown on a POF upper and it ran for more than 2,000 rounds without a failure requiring parts replacement or gun smithing.  They did have stuck case heads and the throat of the barrel eroded enough that it would no longer operate in full auto, but it would still fire.  Tough little gun.
View Quote
If you look closely at that video, the rifle that was tested was an old former Phoenix PD SWAT rifle.  Not bad performance for a rifle that saw years of previous service.

My family has two POF Revolutions in 308.  Awesome rifles in a small package.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Holy necropost, Batman
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top