Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/12/2020 4:51:29 PM EDT
Background - retired Navy, old, CCL, own dbl shotgun, 22LR S&W, and several handguns.

Concerns - election fraud, regressive/progressive movement within and out of the government, Chinese Communists infiltrating every aspect of our society, left wing radical violence as a strategy to fundamentally change our country, ever increasing potential of trained radicals causing disruptions (e.g., Portland), gun control increasing with buy backs as a first step in confiscation of arms, ever increasing restriction on manufacturing, purchasing and ownership of guns and ammo, creation of national gun ownership database, and so on.

Ownership - about half of my guns were purchased via a FFL dealer. Hence, the ATF can confiscate gun dealers' records to create a national gun registry with my ownership information as part of a forced gun buy back (al la England, Australia, etc). The new administration will be full of folks wanting to confiscate our guns, especially semi-automatics. I note that the ATF just raided a 80% receiver dealer.

I feel the need to purchase a semi-automatic rifle as part of my home defense and target practice. It appears that an AR-15, 16" barrel, A3, 5.56/223 chamber, 1:7/1:8 twist, 4150/4150 CMV/Stainless barrel and forged F marked FSB (free float?) configuration would be reasonable for a newbie. Most likely easy enough to find, at least before Jan 20th.

However, a purchase through a FFL dealer, even with the CCL no background check, leaves a permanent record of my purchase and can end up in a national registration.

A purchase via Facebook or Craigs list seems really shaky (stolen, damaged, etc).

I have not been to a gun show in at least 10 years. FFL dealers at the show will still need to fill out Form 4473 and keep it for 20 years (or surrender it to the ATF if they go out of business). Private sales do not need to fill out the 4473. So, do I just walk around with a sign around my neck saying WTB, AR-15?

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty much, even still many ppl have bill of sale with buyers info , even a FTF , esp if they don't know you.

As far as FB & CL and unless the ad has super secret squirrel terminology, you can't advertise on FB or CL for guns.

Your pretty late to the game, your at the mercy of the "market". Shoulda been looking the second Biden won nomination at the very least
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome gun owner. Be prepared.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#3]
You're getting paranoid.... Don't. You'll live longer. You personally cannot control ANY of that. You can only react to it. This country has major problems now. But remember that our system of government is still the best anywhere. Even if the Democrats get the Senate, doesn't mean the end for guns. They would like you to believe that, and many do.

But there are MANY Democratic Senators and Congressmen who are afraid of voting for gun control. Obama had the House and Senate for 2 years after he was elected, (2008-2010). Nothing happened. Even after the Sandy Hook shooting, Obama couldn't even get increased background checks passed. It was much the same with the Republicans, with the first 2 years of the Trump Administration. They couldn't even get the wall funded with that little weasel Paul Ryan as Speaker.

Remember when the Assault Weapons Ban was allowed to Sunset? Harry Reid, (who was a major anti gun Democrat), would not even allow it to come up for a vote. The reason? Because he didn't want to force Democrats to vote for it, because he knew he would lose the Senate. Just like Bill Clinton did in 1994, after House and Senate Democrats rammed through the Brady Bill, and the Assault Weapons Ban. The Republicans took over both the House and the Senate in the 1994 Mid Term Elections.

Top Democrats like Obama, Biden, and now Harris like to bloviate about gun control. But the fact is the bulk of the dyed in the wool Democratic Congressmen and Senators HATE it. Because as I showed, it is ALL risk with ZERO reward. And they KNOW IT. Overall the Democrats have shown to be much better organized than the Republicans........ EXCEPT when it comes to gun control.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're getting paranoid.... Don't. You'll live longer. You personally cannot control ANY of that. You can only react to it. This country has major problems now. But remember that our system of government is still the best anywhere. Even if the Democrats get the Senate, doesn't mean the end for guns. They would like you to believe that, and many do.

But there are MANY Democratic Senators and Congressmen who are afraid of voting for gun control. Obama had the House and Senate for 2 years after he was elected, (2008-2010). Nothing happened. Even after the Sandy Hook shooting, Obama couldn't even get increased background checks passed. It was much the same with

**snip**

they KNOW IT. Overall the Democrats have shown to be much better organized than the Republicans........ EXCEPT when it comes to gun control.
View Quote

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter, Sir!
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Routers are cheap.

You don't have to spend $500 to get a quality output.  

Don't buy anything as a kit (reference the P80 threads).  Buy a little from here, and a little from there.

If you do buy secondary market, realize there is no such thing as a gun that is unfixable, heck I just watched a youtube video where a dude intentionally bent an AR barrel in a U shape and fired it... and not only did it not blow up, he was able to hit a target.  Defects are merely price reducers, even now.

If you do buy a gun that has issues, (arfcom) will help you diagnose and fix it.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
But there are MANY Democratic Senators and Congressmen who are afraid of voting for gun control. Obama had the House and Senate for 2 years after he was elected, (2008-2010). Nothing happened. Even after the Sandy Hook shooting, Obama couldn't even get increased background checks passed. It was much the same with the Republicans, with the first 2 years of the Trump Administration. They couldn't even get the wall funded with that little weasel Paul Ryan as Speaker.

Remember when the Assault Weapons Ban was allowed to Sunset? Harry Reid, (who was a major anti gun Democrat), would not even allow it to come up for a vote. The reason? Because he didn't want to force Democrats to vote for it, because he knew he would lose the Senate. Just like Bill Clinton did in 1994, after House and Senate Democrats rammed through the Brady Bill, and the Assault Weapons Ban. The Republicans took over both the House and the Senate in the 1994 Mid Term Elections.

Top Democrats like Obama, Biden, and now Harris like to bloviate about gun control. But the fact is the bulk of the dyed in the wool Democratic Congressmen and Senators HATE it. Because as I showed, it is ALL risk with ZERO reward. And they KNOW IT. Overall the Democrats have shown to be much better organized than the Republicans........ EXCEPT when it comes to gun control.
View Quote

Sure, OK, but ... Not sure if you've noticed, but besides the fact that we're likely to have millions of newly-minted Democrats soon, Democrats have elevated their already-strong voter fraud game to God Level lately. They can also use anti-gun EOs to simply bypass congress, just like Trump did with bump stocks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sure, OK, but ... Not sure if you've noticed, but besides the fact that we're likely to have millions of newly-minted Democrats soon, Democrats have elevated their already-strong voter fraud game to God Level lately. They can also use anti-gun EOs to simply bypass congress, just like Trump did with bump stocks.
View Quote

Lol. Executive orders are a serious concern, but you need to come to reality about the election. Trump lost. Not because of fraud but because a large portion of the country wanted anyone else but him.

As for the original question, Id recommend watching armslist for a private sale in your area. Expect higher than usual prices right now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Your best bet might be to look on Google at some of your home state's Shooter's Forums. Here in NC, there are long guns for private sale on several forums like that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Go on armslist meet a local seller. You can bring it by a pawn shop to have the numbers ran to make sure it’s legit. Pay cash it’s completely legal. I’ve bought many firearms locally without issues. Do your due diligence and you’ll be just fine. The pawn shop might charge you a small fee to run the firearm. Anyone with a stolen firearm will not willingly be willing to meet and have the numbers ran. I usually meet in a wal mart parking lots where there are plenty of cameras and people.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But there are MANY Democratic Senators and Congressmen who are afraid of voting for gun control. Obama had the House and Senate for 2 years after he was elected, (2008-2010). Nothing happened. Even after the Sandy Hook shooting, Obama couldn't even get increased background checks passed. It was much the same with

**snip**

they KNOW IT. Overall the Democrats have shown to be much better organized than the Republicans........ EXCEPT when it comes to gun control.

Lol same.

To the op, yes, you should be vigilant and keep up with the situation as it pertains to our rights. If you feel so inclined, respectfully communicating with your representatives about your concerns is a great step. If you can afford to, join and contribute to 2a support groups.

What I wouldn’t do is to spend time in every corner of the pro-2a internet looking for salvation. 90% of it is bluster and fear mongering. It will make you crazy and you’ll just end up stressed and unhealthy. Control what you can control and do what’s right for you and yours.

With regard to getting a rifle, perhaps a face-to-face private transaction with someone you trust would be best for you to feel comfortable. Most police departments offer you to be able to do these transactions in their parking lot.

When I’ve done a private transfer, I’ve always done them with people I trust and always had a bill of sale that I draft and have the other party sign off on. It’s for my protection in case it’s used in a crime or stolen.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought a AR-556 MPR 16" from CDNN Sports. Get it Friday. Paid too much for it and the 200 rds of 55gr and 200 rds 62gr green tip. However, I’ve got it.

Now, besides drop down sights, what should I do about optics?  I am use to using red dot with Rimfire. Do I need a scope?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bought a AR-556 MPR 16" from CDNN Sports. Get it Friday. Paid too much for it and the 200 rds of 55gr and 200 rds 62gr green tip. However, I’ve got it.

Now, besides drop down sights, what should I do about optics?  I am use to using red dot with Rimfire. Do I need a scope?
View Quote

A 100+yd rifle? Need a scope.
CQB? Dot Reflex.

Your original post said "... for home defense". I would take this as CQB, so a reflex I presume would be ideal.
A 20ga semi-auto shotgun is also a decent item for home defense.

If it can hold zero on QD mounts, one of each I presume.

see --> https://www.ar15.com/deals/deal.html?did=1104
or --> https://www.ar15.com/deals/deal.html?did=1091
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]
1. Buy a boat
2. Have a "boating accident"
3. Problem solved

More realistically, as others have said just watch what happens and adjust accordingly. I don't think there will be an outright ban on ALL semi autos (even ARs) so I have parts on hand to convert a couple of my favorites to what is currently considered CA legal. Don't brag all over social media about what you have or post pics on Instagram and FB. Live life a day at a time and enjoy life. Donate to your favorite 2A Rights group. Better yet, donate to 2 or 3.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Primary Arms has lots of scopes. I like the 3x and 2.5x prism scopes. They give me just enough magnification to feel comfortable out to 200 yards. They are tough and reliable.

Downside is they are made in China.

Check them out, worth the time.

https://www.primaryarms.com/1+Scopes/MCategories+Optics   This link sucks, doesn't take you exactly to where the prism scopes are-sorry.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You're getting paranoid.... Don't. You'll live longer. You personally cannot control ANY of that. You can only react to it. This country has major problems now. But remember that our system of government is still the best anywhere. Even if the Democrats get the Senate, doesn't mean the end for guns. They would like you to believe that, and many do.l.
View Quote

I hope you are correct. But then I read things like this,

Rice advocated for laws including “universal background checks, the enactment of a new violence against women act, with a permanent and comprehensive ‘assault weapons’ ban, and a ban on ‘high capacity magazines’ that will work to buy back those assault weapons that are out there and ensure that those that remain are fully registered"

Buttigieg, who is said to be the first gay Senate-approved cabinet secretary, repeatedly called for a prohibition on “assault weapons” while on the campaign trail in 2019. Pete Buttigieg discusses his new gun control plan that includes an assault weapons ban: "Let's start by banning new sales of these weapons, then we can figure out other mechanisms to reduce the number that are circulating out there" https://cnn.it/2KA7lUn
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I hope you are correct. But then I read things like this,

Rice advocated for laws including “universal background checks, the enactment of a new violence against women act, with a permanent and comprehensive ‘assault weapons’ ban, and a ban on ‘high capacity magazines’ that will work to buy back those assault weapons that are out there and ensure that those that remain are fully registered"

Buttigieg, who is said to be the first gay Senate-approved cabinet secretary, repeatedly called for a prohibition on “assault weapons” while on the campaign trail in 2019. Pete Buttigieg discusses his new gun control plan that includes an assault weapons ban: "Let's start by banning new sales of these weapons, then we can figure out other mechanisms to reduce the number that are circulating out there" https://cnn.it/2KA7lUn
View Quote

Anti-gun runs throughout the commi regime.
Bumpy stormy waters to come for sure, if the commi regime is allowed in.

If you are so worried about it, skip the AR, get a 20ga semi, or an Inland Scout 30cal carbine.

or,
look into 80% realm.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Christ, just buy the AR from a reputable dealer and don't be "paranoid".
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#18]
4473 is a purchase record not registration. 4473s are held at the purchasing store for 10 years, then they go-to some atf warehouse I assume. 15.4 million guns sold in 2020 alone..that's 15.4 million 4473s at tens of thousands of gun stores. That's a high number so let's conservatively cut it in half and multiply that by..how long has the 4473 been around?

Now someone has to find all those 4473s and put them in a database. Then you could have sold the gun,moved or whatever...so it being a purchase record only it that is enough to get probable cause to come knock on you door?

Even if they could get that warrant..which they can't..the amount of time, manpower and money to even try is insurmountable.

Stop it and just buy a gun from a fucking dealer..no ones coming knocking on your door
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Welcome to the forum, OP.  Good choice on the Ruger MPR, it is what I went with as my first AR. If it is really their MPR, and not the AR-556, it should have an 18 inch barrel, not 16.

As others have said, now you need optics, probably a Red Dot Sight if you are oriented towards home defense/CQB. Need a light and a sling as well, and you should have 3 or 4 mags minimum.  Then training if available, or a minimum of a trip to the range to zero the rifle, run a few mag changes, etc.  

As things in the industry improve, more magazines, ammo, and training. You've come in at the worst possible time, but you are past the first hurdle, and are now part of a VERY large group.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

House and senate democrats rammed through the bill? You forgot the biggest supporter of the Brady Bill, Ronald Reagan... People leave that part out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to buy ARs off the shelf, but I learned the expensive way to just build them. As mentioned previously, parts are more scarce than ever, but you can still find them. You might have to pay more than you would have previously, but you'll get it done. You might have to sacrifice getting EXACTLY what you want for something that is actually available.

Nothing wrong with a healthy dose of paranoia. If that's your main concern then just do 80% lowers. Watch many videos and go from there. A buddy of mine did two on his first go at it and didn't screw them up.

That "raid" you're talking about ... is that Polymer 80 related? If so, that has nothing to do with an AR lower. That was P80 buy, build, shoot kits.

A buddy of mine recently bought a plain bare bones AR for $400 from someone he knows (private sale). At that cost savings he was able to upgrade with his preferred handguard, gas block, grip, stock, etc...

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

House and senate democrats rammed through the bill? You forgot the biggest supporter of the Brady Bill, Ronald Reagan... People leave that part out.
View Quote

You joined just to post that???  
He had been out of office for 6 freaking years at that point.  You question the accuracy of his statement which was factual.  Ronald Reagan had no vote in the matter.  Can't believe how many libs keep bringing this up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Just wondering where y'all that say build find the parts to build with? My wife and I bought ours from our local LGS.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just wondering where y'all that say build find the parts to build with? My wife and I bought ours from our local LGS.
View Quote

That's a secret.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a local True Value hardware store that has a GREAT gun shop in the back that is surprising well stocked even today with all good stuff. BCI stripped lowers, parts kits, etc... Mostly Aero Precision uppers & handguards, Aero lowers, several different great brand barrels, all accessories, optics and all reloading stuff. Check all your local shops and compare prices to online.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have a local True Value hardware store that has a GREAT gun shop in the back that is surprising well stocked even today with all good stuff. BCI stripped lowers, parts kits, etc... Mostly Aero Precision uppers & handguards, Aero lowers, several different great brand barrels, all accessories, optics and all reloading stuff. Check all your local shops and compare prices to online.
View Quote

For Sure on the local shops.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lol. Executive orders are a serious concern, but you need to come to reality about the election. Trump lost. Not because of fraud but because a large portion of the country wanted anyone else but him.

As for the original question, Id recommend watching armslist for a private sale in your area. Expect higher than usual prices right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you think there was no fraud in the "election "?  Take your damn blinders off buddy-- you agree that all the rioting is peaceful protests too? Wake the hell up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ownership - about half of my guns were purchased via a FFL dealer. Hence, the ATF can confiscate gun dealers' records to create a national gun registry with my ownership information as part of a forced gun buy back (al la England, Australia, etc). The new administration will be full of folks wanting to confiscate our guns, especially semi-automatics. I note that the ATF just raided a 80% receiver dealer.

View Quote

Both of those countries had registries already and gun ownership is orders of magnitude less than in the US.

Conservative estimate of approx 63k licensed gun dealers in the US, each of which must hold 4473s on site for a period of 10 years before they get sent to the atf and get put in some record storage somewhere. So they have to request or maybe even subpena each individual dealer to get those.  There were an estimated 39.7 million firearm background checks in 2020. Do you realize the amount of time, effort, money and manpower it would take to just go get what was sold in the last year alone? Were talking years, if not decades just to find those and thats not even taking into account the monetary cost of doing it. Plus a 4473 is not a registration, there is no record after that's completed, they have no idea what you did with any of those guns afterward so I dont even know if they could used that as any sort of probable cause to get a warrant to come search your house for said gun or guns. A mass confiscation in this country is unfeasible and unrealistic. Everything else is on the table but don't worry about someone coming to knock on your door because you're on a 4473 somewhere, its not going to happen.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Congrats your a member of the largest group in America.
Millions of us don’t be too paranoid.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Ownership - about half of my guns were purchased via a FFL dealer. Hence, the ATF can confiscate gun dealers' records to create a national gun registry with my ownership information as part of a forced gun buy back (al la England, Australia, etc).
View Quote

They can find that you bought guns, but they cannot prove that you still have them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So you think there was no fraud in the "election "?  Take your damn blinders off buddy-- you agree that all the rioting is peaceful protests too? Wake the hell up.
View Quote

I find it so hard to believe that anyone believes there was no fraud in this election, look at the numbers, the trends, the people that undersatnd the equations....some mathematic wizzards have built six and eight order polynominal equations that show the fraud and analysis shows that trends that occured are impossible from a statstical srtandpoint.

I am an engineer (retired), I lived on data and statistics for 40 years.   I watched these videos and unless you have your head so far up your ass, you can clearly see the election was a fraud.  They knew exactly which states, counties and precincts needed to flip to put joe and the ho in office.  The worst one was Georgia, this was a joke....

Notice no rioting in good ole boy states....like mine,  this shit would be over before the beer was chilled in the ice chest.

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I happily give my life for my wife,

Come get it.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top